"Counterparts" - What do you really think of this album?

Lorraine

It would have made a Great EP

I only like.

1. Animate

2.Stick it Out.

3. Cut to the Chase.

4. Leave that Thing alone.

Everything else.....no. works really poor as an album.

Mick

• Like 1

Its a nice departure from some weaker efforts. The album had some real edge compared to the three prior offerings. There isn't a bad song on Counterparts, but I don't think there isn't anything epic either. If it would have contained a Headlong Flight, One Little Victory, Subdivisions, or song of that quality, I would rate it higher...but I love it just for the shear fact that they ditched the synths and thin sound, and got back to that fat sound. :haz:
  • Like 1

Great sound, but easily Rush's worst album. Animate, LTTA and Nobady's Hero are probably the only songs good enough to make it on to most other Rush albums.

By far the worst lyrics Peart has written.

• Like 2

I only like.

1. Animate

2.Stick it Out.

3. Cut to the Chase.

Mick

No love for Alien Shore? :(

Were they getting lazy in the nineties? This album is beneath them. Counterparts makes Vapor Trails sound epic.

For myself, the only worthwhile songs on the album are:

Animate

Alien Shore

Leave That Thing Alone

• Like 3

Great sound, but easily Rush's worst album. Animate, LTTA and Nobady's Hero are probably the only songs good enough to make it on to most other Rush albums.

By far the worst lyrics Peart has written.

Thank you. I think the lyrics are the pits too.

I only like.

1. Animate

2.Stick it Out.

3. Cut to the Chase.

Mick

Sorry.......Honestly I know it's not being asked but......Aside from Roll the bones. Which i'm the odd duck that really likes that album. The 90's were the pits for Rush.

Mick

• Like 1

But, I have to say this for Alex - it's always his guitar drawing me in to most of these songs.

This album sounds tinny. Were they trying to cut production costs when they recorded it?

Also, is it my imagination, or does Stick It Out and Witch Hunt sound similar in parts?

I only like.

1. Animate

2.Stick it Out.

3. Cut to the Chase.

Mick

Sorry.......Honestly I know it's not being asked but......Aside from Roll the bones. Which i'm the odd duck that really likes that album. The 90's were the pits for Rush.

Mick

I agree - it was downhill after Roll The Bones.

• Like 1

I only like.

1. Animate

2.Stick it Out.

3. Cut to the Chase.

Mick

Mick

I have to say. I was a kid in the 90's. so the 90's were my representation of at the time......New RUSH. Not a good decade to grow up in as a rush fan, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I only like.

1. Animate

2.Stick it Out.

3. Cut to the Chase.

Mick

Mick

Really? I think things were on the upswing after RTB. I love the heavyness of Test For Echo. And I think Counterparts was a stepping stone to that album. Too bad the buttom half of T4E is so bad compared top half. :(

Well, Animate, Speed Of Love, Everyday Glory and Alien Shore are terrific songs. Double Agent is for me a 10/10. My overall feelings? Something doesn't quite work for me. It sounds like an ok Rush-inspired nineties band. I like it very much, its good...but good doesn't cut it. For some reason, I really like Roll The Bones and I love Test For Echo, but CP just kind of...well...sounds...good...
  • Like 1

I only like.

1. Animate

2.Stick it Out.

3. Cut to the Chase.

Mick

Mick

Really? I think things were on the upswing after RTB. I love the heavyness of Test For Echo. And I think Counterparts was a stepping stone to that album. Too bad the buttom half of T4E is so bad compared top half. :(

TFE is one of the ones i try over and over and over. Despite my best efforts i only like Resist.

Nothing else connects with me.

Mick

• Like 1

I only like.

1. Animate

2.Stick it Out.

3. Cut to the Chase.

Mick

Mick

TFE is one of the ones i try over and over and over. Despite my best efforts i only like Resist.

Mick

Title track, Driven, and Time & Motion are three of my all time favorites. Just increadible songs in my book. Resist is AMAZING live. After than, the fall off is deep and pronounced.
  • Like 3

I only like.

1. Animate

2.Stick it Out.

3. Cut to the Chase.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Just be content being one of the few who enjoy Roll The Bones!

Test For Echo is such a musically and lyrically daft album I just adore listening to it!

• Like 1

RTB is a pop/rock masterpiece. Man i freakin' adore that record.

I have to put it on now.

Mick

I agree, but in the nineties Toto did the whole pop/rock shebang better with Tambu...

*proceeds to duck from flying missiles*

• Like 1

RTB is a pop/rock masterpiece. Man i freakin' adore that record.

I have to put it on now.

Mick

I agree, but in the nineties Toto did the whole pop/rock shebang better with Tambu...

*proceeds to duck from flying missiles*

Segue!!! Must you bring Toto into every Rush discussion????

• Like 1

I wish that for their final album they would aim for something along the lines of AFTK. Maybe an album like that is a once in a lifetime one.

I was quite please with their last effort. What other band has produced a record of that quality, this late in their carreers?

The answer? No one. If they have another album in them, if it come anywhere close to the quality of Clockwork Angels, I'll be ecstatic! :banana:

• Like 3