NFL's War on Women

Sure, they do that cute pink campaign in October, but how can anyone take them seriously anymore regarding women's issues?

http://boston.cbsloc...to-tweet-quote/

Ray Rice, who was shown this offseason on video dragging his unconscious wife out of an elevator after allegedly knocking her out days before their wedding

So Rice knocks his wife out, drags her out of the elevator... and she apologizes? Here is her statement:

“I do deeply regret the role I played in the incident that night,” Palmer said. “I love Ray and I know he will continue to prove himself, and I know he will gain the respect back in due time.”

When I heard about it, I was blown away, and apparently I wasn't the only one... The article continues on to pretty much echo my thoughts..

And then the Ravens tweeted the worst possible thing the Ravens could have ever tweeted.

“Janay Rice says she deeply regrets the role that she played the night of the incident.”

Janay Rice says she deeply regrets the role that she played the night of the incident.—

Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) May 23, 2014

What?

This is a most disturbing comment, and there is just so much wrong with it.

For one, there is nothing Janay could have done to justify Ray’s actions. Nothing. That’s obvious.

Secondly, the fact that the Ravens decided to send out this comment to 432,000 followers on their official Twitter account is a clear effort from the team to try to clear Ray’s name in the court of public opinion. That’s reprehensible. Consider that the Ravens chose just nine comments to tweet, and the wife apologizing for her “role” in the “incident” was one of them.

What is the message being sent?

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Wow. Unreal. Talk about your spin and some real sh*ty spin at that. The role "she" played? A punching bag? Talk about turning the clock back to the caveman era..... :sigh: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I like the timing of this whole story too - Friday before a 3 day holiday? NFL had 3 big stories released on Friday... this one

the Colts owner:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10975471/indianapolis-colts-owner-jim-irsay-charged-two-misdemeanors-march-arrest

Broncos exec:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10976354/denver-broncos-director-player-personnel-sentenced-dui-case

All hit the wire on Friday. Hmmmm... hoping the news can slide quietly by because most people are out enjoying the 3 day weekend?

1. As with all domestic conflicts, we never know the whole story - who started it, who hit whom, etc. For all we know, Rice's wife hit him first and the fight escalated. We just DON'T KNOW, so we shouldn't assume anything.

2. Celebrities and/or pro athletes (and their spouses) regularly practice PR damage control. It's not uncommon for spouses and relatives to make public statements in order to save face and protect someone's image and career.

3. Someone from the Baltimore Ravens quoted Rice's wife on the team's Twitter page. Pretty awkward, but it does not necessarily mean that the entire organization is bent on denying Rice's wrongdoings or blaming Rice's wife for the entire incident. Ultimately, the team shouldn't have "tweeted" anything about the incident.

There is no "NFL War on Women". The Ravens' handling of Ray Rice's troubles was pretty clumsy, but to suggest that it's proof of a League-wide agenda of disrespecting women is a baseless accusation.

What about the War on Want? Where they fight for a world where no one wants anything anymore. I mean they just sit there staring into space saying: "I don't want anything...I don't want anything...I don't want anything..."

What a victory that would be?? :clap:

Is there any evidence the nfl coerced her?

Did they need to? To promote that was wrong no matter what IMO

My point is the ravens made the tweet not the nfl so I'm confused based on the thread title. Trying to determine how the nfl is involved. They aren't in charge of or responsible for teams tweets. Did any other source (such as the news) report this or just the team?