The Ashes Thread

Milton Bridge

I can't believe its taken a Scotsman to start a thread on The Ashes.

( For our US cousins - The greatest cricket series in the world - England versus Australia)

I have been looking forward this all summer and boy it hasn't dissapointed so far.

England in command early on the first day, the Aussies coming back blasting Engalnd out. 17 wickets on the first day.

Then today the Aussies cruising then a slump just before the close of play.

I think it may be all over by tomorrow, certainly by Sunday lunchtime.

My prediction Aussies to go 1-0 up.

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Jul 22 2005, 09:55 PM)

( For our US cousins - The greatest cricket series in the world - England versus Australia)

I have been looking forward this all summer and boy it hasn't dissapointed so far.

England in command early on the first day, the Aussies coming back blasting Engalnd out. 17 wickets on the first day.

I agree, but a mini fight back by England just now with a great opening stand gives a glimmer of hope unsure.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Jul 23 2005, 09:13 AM)

I agree, but a mini fight back by England just now with a great opening stand gives a glimmer of hope unsure.gif

I think you need to pray for rain for the next two days.

QUOTE (ABZ Highlander @ Jul 23 2005, 03:45 PM)
confused13.gif Can't say I really follow cricket, probably because Scotland are sh*te at it!, Then again, Football Rugby.......................................! laugh.gif Enjoy the game tho! trink39.gif

laugh.gif Sport wise Scotland's not having the best of times

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Jul 23 2005, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Jul 23 2005, 09:13 AM)

I think you need to pray for rain for the next two days.

5 men out and it's not looking good no.gif

My prayers were answered this afternoon when it started raining laugh.gif

Just 2 more days of rain and it's a draw wacko.gif

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Jul 24 2005, 08:56 PM)
Unfortunately it stopped for about half an hour - a well deserved victory for the Aussies.

1-0

Yeah, half an hour was all that was needed. the Aussies deserved that one, but we'll be up for the 2nd Test! 1287.gif

What a difference a day makes - England had it in the bag last night and have just collapsed this morning.

I would be completely sick if I were English - The Aussies must be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Aug 6 2005, 12:39 PM)
What a difference a day makes - England had it in the bag last night and have just collapsed this morning.

I would be completely sick if I were English  - The Aussies must be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Yeah but we won in the end....just biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Aug 10 2005, 10:48 AM)

I would be completely sick if I were English  - The Aussies must be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

What a finish - I wrote that at lunch on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Aug 10 2005, 09:15 PM)

Me too Milton, this game promises to be just as great as the first two. The standard of cricket has been fantastic, Australia and England are without doubt the number 1 and number 2 in the world at the moment. I live near Manchester and will be going with my son Kyle and friend Paul on Sunday, I just hope it won't be all over by then laugh.gif These first 2 matches have been played at breakneck speed for test cricket. I have a feeling though that the wicket may favour the Australian leg spinners Shane Warne and maybe MacGill too, I think they may do some major damage to England, epecially later in the match. I hope I'm proved wrong laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Aug 10 2005, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Aug 10 2005, 09:15 PM)

Me too Milton, this game promises to be just as great as the first two. The standard of cricket has been fantastic, Australia and England are without doubt the number 1 and number 2 in the world at the moment. I live near Manchester and will be going with my son Kyle and friend Paul on Sunday, I just hope it won't be all over by then laugh.gif These first 2 matches have been played at breakneck speed for test cricket. I have a feeling though that the wicket may favour the Australian leg spinners Shane Warne and maybe MacGill too, I think they may do some major damage to England, epecially later in the match. I hope I'm proved wrong laugh.gif

trink39.gif

Have a great time - I am strictly an armchair cricket fan - but one of these days I will make it to a test match.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 30 2005, 08:07 AM)
653.gif

2 - 1 up!!!!!

Completely destroyed the Aussie's! but hopefully we won't have a repeat performance of England's second innings in the next test sarcasm.gif

My mates and i were going to the Pixies gig in Edinburgh on Sunday but we were all keen to see Teenage Fun Club who were also on the bill - we ended up missing them because the last hour of the test got pretty tense.

Good result - and Good Luck England you deserve to win.

QUOTE (slambozzio @ Dec 7 2006, 06:45 AM)
just thought i'd kickstart this thread again tongue.gif

2 - 0 to the Aussies so far this series .... looks like The Ashes are coming home where they belong 653.gif

laugh.gif Looks like a whitewash to me trink39.gif

QUOTE (slambozzio @ Dec 18 2006, 08:36 AM)
yessir, the coveted little urn is back where it belongs  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

moon.gif

Apart from a few spasms here and there, like the ashes series over here, England have been crap for ages. They seem to have this "we're doomed" mentality that induces those embarrasing collapses we see so often. The main problem with England though is they need some genuine good and consistent bowlers, I mean truly world class front line guys, not guys who are good for one game in 6. Until they get at least two guys like this they're always gonna be shaky at best...

I have to say that i'm a little disappointed with the performances from the Pommie bowlers so far on this tour confused13.gif

Harmison was a world-beater last year and looks like he'd be flat out getting a go in grade cricket at the moment. Flintoff seems to be blunted by the burden of the captaincy .... but that's not his fault.

Archived