Everyone should have a Teddy Bear.

KenJennings

There is only one possession I have that I can not imagine losing. It is the one possession that I have always had, it has traveled the nation with me, and it has been there through thick and thin. While I've gone through years of my life where it's been packed away in a box, and through long periods of life where I've forgotten it existed, it's always been waiting patiently for me to come back.

I'm not sure where he came from or who made him, but as far as I can remember, I have always had my Teddy Bear, Lukey. He survived my early childhood years, despite being dragged through the dirt and spilled jukeboxes of my formative years. He survived through my kid years, where he was played with hard as the giant bear nemesis of my Jim Kirk and Alan Grant action figures. He spent many of my teen years in a box in the closet, almost forgotten, but always ready to come back as soon as I wanted to see him. He's spent recent years sitting up on a shelf in my room, prominently displayed as the prized possession that he really is. If my house was on fire, and there was only time for one thing to grab, he would be it.

There is something special about a Teddy Bear. Every child should be given a Teddy Bear. It symbolizes a constancy, a reflection of their own growth and development- it is an avatar of the journey of their life.

He's seen better days, he could probably use a good cleaning, his fur is ragged and nappy, the black felt that used to cover his plastic button nose has been gone for the better part of 20 years, and his battle scars show more stitching than a baseball... but he's still in one piece, the rattle in his belly still chirps the same as it always has, and ultimately Lukey is still there every day. He never argues, and never judges anything. He never gets sick, and he never dies. He never betrays, and never lets me down. Every human being should have a Teddy Bear.

j3xpl.jpg

• Like 8

Funny - I have something similar, but not a teddy bear. I never liked stuffed animals, but I have a Batman figurine I got from a happy meal. When I got my first car, I had him hanging from the rearview mirror. He has been hanging from the rearview of every car I have ever owned, except my current car. There was no easy way of getting it rigged, and my daughter insisted on putting Buzz Lightyear there seeing I drive an Infiniti ("to Infiniti and beyond" she said). Batman is still in the car, visible, just not from the rearview. Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 1

There is only one possession I have that I can not imagine losing. It is the one possession that I have always had, it has traveled the nation with me, and it has been there through thick and thin. While I've gone through years of my life where it's been packed away in a box, and through long periods of life where I've forgotten it existed, it's always been waiting patiently for me to come back.

I'm not sure where he came from or who made him, but as far as I can remember, I have always had my Teddy Bear, Lukey. He survived my early childhood years, despite being dragged through the dirt and spilled jukeboxes of my formative years. He survived through my kid years, where he was played with hard as the giant bear nemesis of my Jim Kirk and Alan Grant action figures. He spent many of my teen years in a box in the closet, almost forgotten, but always ready to come back as soon as I wanted to see him. He's spent recent years sitting up on a shelf in my room, prominently displayed as the prized possession that he really is. If my house was on fire, and there was only time for one thing to grab, he would be it.

There is something special about a Teddy Bear. Every child should be given a Teddy Bear. It symbolizes a constancy, a reflection of their own growth and development- it is an avatar of the journey of their life.

He's seen better days, he could probably use a good cleaning, his fur is ragged and nappy, the black felt that used to cover his plastic button nose has been gone for the better part of 20 years, and his battle scars show more stitching than a baseball... but he's still in one piece, the rattle in his belly still chirps the same as it always has, and ultimately Lukey is still there every day. He never argues, and never judges anything. He never gets sick, and he never dies. He never betrays, and never lets me down. Every human being should have a Teddy Bear.

j3xpl.jpg

That's awesome!,

And by the looks of Lukey. He accepts hugs 24/7. :hug2: :P

I never really had a go to stuffed animal, but 2 of my boys do. My son John has a bear named Jeffery; I actually made it for my wife at build a bear when we were dating, she liked it cause it reminded me of her when we were apart. John gradually came attached to it, and he sleeps with him every night. I have to tell him a story every night before he goes to bed about some adventure that he and Jeffrey had (fought Darth Vader, or Captain hook, or caught a big fish)

Max (2) has a Monkey he is very attached to named George. I cant imagine the sorrow and tears if either Jeffrey or George was lost.

I had one when I was really little. It definitely ranked among my most dependable allies. I have no idea what happened to it, but I imagine it ended up in a trash can somewhere—hardly a befitting fate for a good friend.

j3xpl.jpg

He's adorable! :)

• Like 1

Known only as "Brown Bear" this was my sons first teddy bear (when he was a baby) and the only special one he still has to this day. He slept with him when he was young and eventually let go. He is 24 now but this bear is still hanging around and I imagine he always will be. The fur on his neck is long gone and my wife may have stitched him up a time or two but this is the special one...... :)

http://s27.postimg.org/839mgd0tf/IMAG0850.jpg

Brown Bear :)

• Like 3

I have a Paddington Bear that my husband gave me before he went away to graduate school 20 years ago, the semester before we were married. Will always keep him. He holds a special place in my heart.

Cheers,

frippy

• Like 2

Oh my gosh *sniffles*.

When I was born I was given a bunch of new toys, blankets, handmade outfits, etc... I even had a brand new Winnie The Pooh, but... nothing could compare to Teddy.

Teddy is a little bear that my great-aunt Millie and great-uncle Tom found at a garage sale and he became my constant companion throughout childhood. I still have him but he is kept at my mom's house since I own a very tenacious doggie that enjoys chewing stuffed things to shreds. Teddy is a little white bear that is totally worn down, I think at one point he may have been a Snuggle Bear or a copy of one because Snuggle Bear was extremely popular when I was born. This is what I imagine he kind of looked like when he was new...

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/toyspast/.mids/SnuggleBearwRussTag.JPG

His snout has lost it's stuffing, he has a couple of little round cigarette burns from my dad's cigs, which my mom sewed up. She is also a germaphobe so she'd wash him in the washer and dry him, his fur is totally matted and his eyes are a bit scratched up. One of my earliest traumatic memories is of me laying in my crib and sticking Teddy's little brown felt nose in between my teeth and mindlessly twisting him around until it popped off. I can still hear myself screaming for my mommy; she was sadly not able to re-attach Teddy's proboscis.

When I was around 10 I still took Teddy with me everywhere. We were really poor at that point and my mom and her boyfriend made the decision to travel from California to Florida where two of her boyfriend's bothers lived so that we could stay with them while her boyfriend tried to start his computer repair business out there. Most of the time we slept in the car but we made a motel stop in Louisiana. I thought I had put Teddy in my backpack but it turns out I forgot him at the motel, in the bed. I didn't notice until we crossed the state line in Florida. My mom thought I would be excited but turned around to see what she describes as the biggest tears and saddest look on my face she's ever seen. I can still feel the hot tears just thinking about it.

So when we got to a pay phone my mom called the motel, at first the owner's said that they didn't have him and couldn't find him but my mom wouldn't stop pestering them until they finally found him; he had been taken by one of the housekeepers children (my beloved Teddy, bearnapped!). My mom finally arranged for them to wrap up and send him to my Grandma's house until we were settled. I'd call my Grandma and she'd give me updates on how he was doing and what football games he was watching with my Grandpa, etc...

:heart:

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 2

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa321/sirendelaluna/6EA0519D-70DC-4F15-B7AE-CDB3DF142C95.jpg

My mom sent me a text of Teddy to show to you guys. Let me know if the link works.

• Like 1

Known only as "Brown Bear" this was my sons first teddy bear (when he was a baby) and the only special one he still has to this day. He slept with him when he was young and eventually let go. He is 24 now but this bear is still hanging around and I imagine he always will be. The fur on his neck is long gone and my wife may have stitched him up a time or two but this is the special one...... :)

http://s27.postimg.org/839mgd0tf/IMAG0850.jpg

Brown Bear :)

Oh my gosh *sniffles*.

When I was born I was given a bunch of new toys, blankets, handmade outfits, etc... I even had a brand new Winnie The Pooh, but... nothing could compare to Teddy.

Teddy is a little bear that my great-aunt Millie and great-uncle Tom found at a garage sale and he became my constant companion throughout childhood. I still have him but he is kept at my mom's house since I own a very tenacious doggie that enjoys chewing stuffed things to shreds. Teddy is a little white bear that is totally worn down, I think at one point he may have been a Snuggle Bear or a copy of one because Snuggle Bear was extremely popular when I was born. This is what I imagine he kind of looked like when he was new...

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/toyspast/.mids/SnuggleBearwRussTag.JPG

His snout has lost it's stuffing, he has a couple of little round cigarette burns from my dad's cigs, which my mom sewed up. She is also a germaphobe so she'd wash him in the washer and dry him, his fur is totally matted and his eyes are a bit scratched up. One of my earliest traumatic memories is of me laying in my crib and sticking Teddy's little brown felt nose in between my teeth and mindlessly twisting him around until it popped off. I can still hear myself screaming for my mommy; she was sadly not able to re-attach Teddy's proboscis.

When I was around 10 I still took Teddy with me everywhere. We were really poor at that point and my mom and her boyfriend made the decision to travel from California to Florida where two of her boyfriend's bothers lived so that we could stay with them while her boyfriend tried to start his computer repair business out there. Most of the time we slept in the car but we made a motel stop in Louisiana. I thought I had put Teddy in my backpack but it turns out I forgot him at the motel, in the bed. I didn't notice until we crossed the state line in Florida. My mom thought I would be excited but turned around to see what she describes as the biggest tears and saddest look on my face she's ever seen. I can still feel the hot tears just thinking about it.

So when we got to a pay phone my mom called the motel, at first the owner's said that they didn't have him and couldn't find him but my mom wouldn't stop pestering them until they finally found him; he had been taken by one of the housekeepers children (my beloved Teddy, bearnapped!). My mom finally arranged for them to wrap up and send him to my Grandma's house until we were settled. I'd call my Grandma and she'd give me updates on how he was doing and what football games he was watching with my Grandpa, etc...

:heart:

Two Awwww's for the price of one! :heart:

• Like 2

I still have many of the stuffed animals I received as presents as a kid. I cannot give them away. I have taken some of them to the library, because sometimes kids just want a buddy at the library. Some animals have walked, but if a child really needs to have it then fine, it's found another home.

I have a teddy that my parents bought me when I was a baby. He's called Max. He has a partly torn ear but I never wanted to sew it back on. It's part of his charm! He currently resides at my mum's house.

A few years back Gilby bought me another bear. He's called Bear. He lives on a shelf here in the bedroom. Before we moved he used to live on the bed. He gets a cuddle every now and then.

Here he is:

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb414/lyndseyg2112/20140524_18322_edit_1400953325214.jpg

Edited by LyndseyG
  • Like 3

First of all you may be able to put them in the washer on the most gentle cycle you can find with NO agitation and let them air dry, but even that is a risk.

Second, I never had one and that may be where all my problems come from so I will be blaming my parents in person the next time I see them.

I do have my congratulations on graduating from high school note that Ronald Reagan sent me, but it doesn't give me that Teddy Bear feeling. :(

I got a teddy bear when I was born from my Great Aunt. He was one of those 90s TY bears. His name was the oh so typical Teddy, and I am not ashamed to admit that he still is on my bed to this day just shy of 20 years later. Given the choice to save one possession from a fire it would be him in a heartbeat. I was always devastated as a kid if I forgot him on a family trip, and snuck him in the back of my pillow case during summer camp and school trips. Thankfully his battle scars are only limited to some string hanging off his nose and a tiny insignificant scratch on one of his eyes. Here is hoping I never loose him. PS I do sleep with him, but its only because without him I'm not sure what to do with my hands, and wind up strangling myself.
  • Like 1

j3xpl.jpg

That made me tear up a bit.

I have stuffed horse that has been there with me. That horse is 38 years old. I remember the fit I threw because I wanted him, and I remember my mom going back into the store to get him and threw him towards me when she came back out. His name is Horace. My youngest still sleeps with him and he's now got lipstick smeared on his cheek from her falling asleep with him after big sis gave her a make over.

I love that little horse. I still pick him up gently and hug him.

I have a teddy that my parents bought me when I was a baby. He's called Max. He has a partly torn ear but I never wanted to sew it back on. It's part of his charm! He currently resides at my mum's house.

A few years back Gilby bought me another bear. He's called Bear. He lives on a shelf here in the bedroom. Before we moved he used to live on the bed. He gets a cuddle every now and then.

Here he is:

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb414/lyndseyg2112/20140524_18322_edit_1400953325214.jpg

He's cute..! :)