Turntable for my new Rush

brat7760

Was looking for some advice and who better to ask than my fellow Rush fans. I have an old cheap turntable and I am looking to upgrade. Was thinking of the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB which gets great reviews on several websites. Was hoping to stay in this price range or at least around it if I can. Need something nicer to listen to the new Rush album I received and the others I have collected over the years. Plus I have the new Led Zeppelin box sets ordered and I want something of descent quality to listen to them with.

Any suggestions?

That AT is popular with a lot of people who weren't into vinyl the first time round and think they are getting a technics SL-1200 on the cheap.

Don't buy it.

It's cheaply made, has a low torque motor which causes high wow and flutter figures and all the weight in it comes from a block of iron placed in the base, to give it an impression of hefty build quality.

If you are serious about vinyl, look for an old Dual, Technics or Pioneer deck in good condition. Check the Vinyl Engine website and ask the learned members on there about decks you find for sale. It's a big subject and beginners need to negotiate quite a steep learning curve before they can avoid the many pitfalls.

Good luck, and if you want any more personal advice feel free to PM me. I've currently got 5 turntables in rotation and have owned a deck since 1975 :)

• Like 1

Forget about USB turntables. If you wanted the music on your computer you'd be better off buying the music online. The only models I know about is NAD's (yes that is the company name haha) and Rega Planar. They may not be the cheapest entry level turntables, but with analog gear you really get what you pay for.

Good luck :)

...look for an old Dual...

Here's mine from the 70's. Very good German handmade quality.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/CIMG3131.jpg

• Like 2

A couple of my tables:

Lenco 88 / LAD Jelco 370D / Decca London Super Gold

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/smegger68/DSC00006.jpg

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 3009 Series IIIs / Shure V15 Type III

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/smegger68/1210IISMEIIIsV15III.jpg

• Like 2

A couple of my tables:

Lenco 88 / LAD Jelco 370D / Decca London Super Gold

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/smegger68/DSC00006.jpg

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 3009 Series IIIs / Shure V15 Type III

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/smegger68/1210IISMEIIIsV15III.jpg

Sweeeet and not cheap. :clap: :cheers: If only I had more money...I think I would upgrade to a MKII.

• Like 1

This is the model I have. One button - on/off. I like it simple :)

http://www.avstore.ro/images/cache/53689/w1000h800/pickup-nad-c555.jpg

NAD C555 isn't it? Nice Rega arm and a good simple design with much potential for upgrading. You could quite easily spend a lot of money on a good cartridge for this deck without shaming it, it's basically a Rega Planar 2 rebadged. I have a Rega Planar 3 fitted with a Michell Technoarm and a Goldring Excel M/C cartridge which sounds very nice indeed :)

This is the model I have. One button - on/off. I like it simple :)

http://www.avstore.ro/images/cache/53689/w1000h800/pickup-nad-c555.jpg

NAD C555 isn't it? Nice Rega arm and a good simple design with much potential for upgrading. You could quite easily spend a lot of money on a good cartridge for this deck without shaming it, it's basically a Rega Planar 2 rebadged. I have a Rega Planar 3 fitted with a Michell Technoarm and a Goldring Excel M/C cartridge which sounds very nice indeed :)

Yes, that's the one. I like the fact that I can upgrade it. I am thinking about replacing the belt, pickup and mat at some point.

This is going to sound like dreadful audiophile snobbery, for the $250 price range of the A-T, you're not going to get much in terms of quality or reproduction. Much of what you play is going to sound bright and tinny and un-dynamic.

You're better off with a Rega P1. The NAD's are also good, but Rega knows how o make good, entry-level turntables. Their Carbon MM cartridge is decent, too, but you may want to invest in the Ortofon Red cartridge. One of the best buys in analog. Ever. I mean, it's no Lyra or Grado, but those would be wasted on the P1 anyhow.

I still have a Pro-ject 5.1 and have my eyes on a Well Tempered Labs Amadeus table. The Pro-ject is fine, and the included Sumiko Blue Point is also decent, but they don't offer any of the dynamics and presentation of the WTA and the Grado Sonata cartridge. As AGrownup said, you truly get what you pay for in analog.

Also, what components are you using? What's your amp? Speakers? Pre?

Edited by coventry

I am curious about what people think is gained by using a turntable to listen to music that was recorded or mastered digitally. If you listen to analog sources and want to avoid a digital conversion, I understand the argument but am not a proponent. I do have a Thorens turntable that I have owned for 30 years.

I am curious about what people think is gained by using a turntable to listen to music that was recorded or mastered digitally. If you listen to analog sources and want to avoid a digital conversion, I understand the argument but am not a proponent. I do have a Thorens turntable that I have owned for 30 years.

To me it's the way the needle translates the groove in the record to sound. I don't know any technical stuff to explain it, but to my ears it still sounds better than a digital cd, even if the source is digital all the way.

To me it's the way the needle translates the groove in the record to sound. I don't know any technical stuff to explain it, but to my ears it still sounds better than a digital cd, even if the source is digital all the way.

Art Dudley has a column in this month's Stereophile magazine that encapsulates why analog LP sound will always be superior to digital reproduction. It's not available online yet, but when it is I'll post it.

• Like 1

Here are the components I am currently using:

Pioneer Multi-Channel Receiver VSX-819H (550 watts if memory serves me correctly)

Shanling Tube Disc Player CD-T-100A

JBL- L65 (purchased these in 1977 and are my pride and joys)(have a very nice warm feel to them)

JBL - L890 Serie Studio-L (not as warm as the 65 put still sound great)

ION Turntable- received as a present (cheap, thus the reason I want and need a better table)

Edited by brat7760

Here are the components I am currently using:

Pioneer Multi-Channel Receiver VSX-819H (550 watts if memory serves me correctly)

Shanling Tube Disc Player CD-T-100A

JBL- L65 (purchased these in 1977 and are my pride and joys)(have a very nice warm feel to them)

JBL - L890 Serie Studio-L (not as warm as the 65 put still sound great)

ION Turntable- received as a present (cheap, thus the reason I want and need a better table)

Your JBL-L65's are a hidden gem for monitors. Don't know what you paid for them, but they sound way more beautiful than what they cost. Your Shanling was well reviewed when it first burst onto the market a decade or so ago and continues to sound good. Have you replaced the tubes recently? Good replacements for the 6N3's that came with the unit are here

http://tubeworldexpress.com/collections/preamp/396A

Truthfully, your Pioneer is your weak link. You might want to upgrade to a NAD or a Rega eventually; they make really good integrated amps.

Thanks coventry I will look into those amps. I did think that my amp was my weakest link. I did replace the tubes about a year back with some Western Electric tubes my buddy gave me, they made a big difference. I will look into your suggestions for the amp and the other tubes.

I noticed you live in St.Louis, I live in Mt.Vernon, Il. we are almost neighbors, well at least in the online world. We might need to meet up next time Rush comes to town.

Edited by brat7760