x1yyz

I was thrilled by CA upon it's release, but it has not stood the test of time. Alex has gotten much less creative tone-wise, Geddy struggles in writing good vocal lines (for the most part), Neil's lyrics don't flow like they used to, and the whole album seems to have a lot less textural diversity than their previous works

Add painfully bad production and plodding, brick-walled guitars to that list and I agree completely. The album has not held up for this fan at all. Bottom tier of Rush albums for sure.

• Like 2

I was thrilled by CA upon it's release, but it has not stood the test of time. Alex has gotten much less creative tone-wise, Geddy struggles in writing good vocal lines (for the most part), Neil's lyrics don't flow like they used to, and the whole album seems to have a lot less textural diversity than their previous works

Add painfully bad production and plodding, brick-walled guitars to that list and I agree completely. The album has not held up for this fan at all. Bottom tier of Rush albums for sure.

Same.

There were bright moments. But oh man what were thinking with that production. I just can't seem to let that go, lol. But it's a big problem. Only way it works fo rme is on headphones......at very low volume. And that's not fun, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I'm really kind of glad that I'm not an audiophile. I've been reading a lot about "bad production" and Clockwork Angels being "muddy" and a "sonic mess" and other such phrases. I'm reading about a "lack of separation" and a wall of noise. I'm so glad I can put it on and not "hear" any of that. I just hear a f***ing good album. Can I say "f***ing good album"? Love it. Face-melting glory. No mud, no mess, no fuss, no muss. Just killer rock. Diggin' it to my dying day.

Hey...what's the deal with the ***? That's not what I typed!!

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

I'm really kind of glad that I'm not an audiophile. I've been reading a lot about "bad production" and Clockwork Angels being "muddy" and a "sonic mess" and other such phrases. I'm reading about a "lack of separation" and a wall of noise. I'm so glad I can put it on and not "hear" any of that. I just hear a f***ing good album. Can I say "f***ing good album"? Love it. Face-melting glory. No mud, no mess, no fuss, no muss. Just killer rock. Diggin' it to my dying day.

I

I'm not an audiophile. nowhere near......and it is bad.

Mick

I

Mick

You may be nearer to being an audiophile than you think?

I thought the album sounded pretty good... until I spent some time away from it and started listening to a lot of other music. When I came back to CA, I immediately could hear how awful the production was. Everything is all on top of everything else, there is no definition to any of the sounds and much of the album is a sonic blob. I ended up actually liking the original production on Vapor Trails more than CA.

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 1

"No definition to any of the sounds"? "Sonic blob"? I think I remain blissfully ignorant. I'm not trying to cause offense—you hear what you hear—but I still don't get it. As a disclaimer I should mention that too many bar gigs have probably damaged my hearing. The drummer you see in my little picture hits pretty hard...
  • Like 1

Well I think there is a lot wrong with the production, but a lot right with the album itself. This quite honestly outweighs any negative and I absolutely adore CA.
  • Like 2

I thought the album sounded pretty good... until I spent some time away from it and started listening to a lot of other music. When I came back to CA, I immediately could hear how awful the production was. Everything is all on top of everything else, there is no definition to any of the sounds and much of the album is a sonic blob. I ended up actually liking the original production on Vapor Trails more than CA.

That's the sad thing about the last two albums in particular. It's like a wall of sound. It's like buying a beautiful new car and immediately having a flock of birds poop on it. It may still be the beautiful car underneath but the bird poop takes away a bit of enjoyment of it. At least you can wash that away.

• Like 1

I

Mick

You may be nearer to being an audiophile than you think?

Not really. There's only 2 albums i've complained about sonically. And i'm not Joking......VT and CA. but those 2 did wake me up to sound quality so.....maybe i've unconsciously become one, lol

Mick

Even if VT had perfect production those songs still would have sucked big time.
  • Like 1

Did we mention that VT Blows? oh i haven't mentioned it today? well......a-hem.......it blows. my job is done, lol

Mick

Did we mention that VT Blows? oh i haven't mentioned it today? well......a-hem.......it blows. my job is done, lol

Mick

I am not sure...did I say it sucked or did I say it SUCKED BUMHOLES?

Seggerz

• Like 1

Mick

Seggerz

I don't think it quite sucks bumholes - musically I quite like it, but Geddy's voice on that album does indeed suck bumholes.

Mick

Seggerz

I don't think it quite sucks bumholes - musically I quite like it, but Geddy's voice on that album does indeed suck bumholes.

His voice is AWFUL on VT

• Like 1

I'll reserve some of my criticism because certain points have already been stated by others, and I don't want to pile on too much.

Clockwork Angels is essentially a middling Rush album for me. From the outset, I was especially impressed by Headlong Flight and The Wreckers, and I still am. I also still enjoy the title track. The rest does nothing for me.

I could write at length about the production, but I struggle more with the songs. I haven't listened to the album in just under a year and I honestly cannot remember how most of the songs go—even the choruses. For example, when I try to remember The Anarchist I'm not sure if I'm erroneously thinking of Carnies. Simply put, in my humble opinion the melodies are lacking. I just don't find the album nearly as creative or inspired as its conceptual veneer promises.

Taking a wide-angle view of their catalog, Rush used to either run ahead of trends, or at least alongside them. Since Counterparts, give or take, they seem to be chasing trends, and for too long they've been stuck on this nu-metal production style that lacks tonal dynamic and space for instruments to inhale and exhale. Sadly, I agree with those who mostly hear a monolithic slab of somewhat indistinguishable parts.

That said, I fully embrace the possibility that I am the problem, and not the album. And I would argue that the album's merit is relatively strong when compared to other artists who have been around for comparable lengths.

Finally, I'm not trying to bash for the sake of bashing. I still love Rush; I'm a true fan; I loved the CA live show that my wife and I caught; and I'm excited to see where they go next.

• Like 3

"sucks bumholes"...? Talking about the album that has Ceiling Unlimited and Earthshine? I remember buying Vapor Trails at the record store, opening it outside at a bench, putting it in my discman, and walking back to work. One Little Victory I had already heard on the radio. When Ceiling Unlimited came on I stopped dead. People had to go around me and I didn't care. I may have been hit by a bus or something, I can't remember. I didn't care. All I knew was that my Rush was back.
  • Like 5

"sucks bumholes"...? Talking about the album that has Ceiling Unlimited and Earthshine? I remember buying Vapor Trails at the record store, opening it outside at a bench, putting it in my discman, and walking back to work. One Little Victory I had already heard on the radio. When Ceiling Unlimited came on I stopped dead. People had to go around me and I didn't care. I may have been hit by a bus or something, I can't remember. I didn't care. All I knew was that my Rush was back.

Good for you!

Ceiling Unlimited is top tier Rush in my book. Tremendous song. Much of VT is in the same boat for me. Earthshine, Vapor Trail, How It Is, Secret Touch, Freeze are all classics to me.

• Like 4

Ceiling Unlimited is top tier Rush in my book. Tremendous song. Much of VT is in the same boat for me. Earthshine, Vapor Trail, How It Is, Secret Touch, Freeze are all classics to me.

I love Vapor Trails. Ceiling Unlimited is good, but the lyrics keep me from considering it to be great. What does that mean, "ceiling unlimited"?

I love Vapor Trails. Ceiling Unlimited is good, but the lyrics keep me from considering it to be great. What does that mean, "ceiling unlimited"?

I think it means something like unlimited potential
  • Like 2

I don't understand the dislike for VT myself. It has a few good songs. And even if it didn't, I would think that Rush fans would value the album because it represented Rush's "resurrection" from the "dead".

• Like 5

I don't understand the dislike for VT myself. It has a few good songs. And even if it didn't, I would think that Rush fans would value the album because it represented Rush's "resurrection" from the "dead".

I respect the band and the album, knowing they gave their best.

I really hate the songs.