x1yyz

Clockwork Angels came out almost exactly two years ago. I loved it at first listen and must have heard it 25 times in the couple weeks that followed. At the time I considered it to be in my top 5 Rush albums, and possibly in my top 3, but I did wonder if it would stand the test of time.

I listened to CA a lot in the months after it was released and although I've heard individual songs as they've popped up on iTunes it's been 6-12 months since I've listened to it in its entirety. (I'll often take a break from albums after hearing them 10, 50, or 100 times so I don't get burned out.) This last weekend I travelled to visit a friend and thought this would be a good time to revisit CA and see if it stood the test of time. You know what? It did, for me at least. I listened to the album 5 or 6 or 7 times and I was still excited about it. I think it's a phenomenal album.

What about you? Have you listened to Clockwork Angels lately? Has it stood the test of time for you?

• Like 12

And i stand by my guns of two years. I like about half the album. But it is to long and filler heavy. and such shitty shitty sound.

Stuff I love.

The Title track

The Anarchist

Halo Effect (Yes yes i know)

The wreckers

Headlong Flight

Wish them well (Grew on me)

The garden

Everything else.....meh

Hardly Rush's second coming. Good not a masterpiece by any means.

Kick ass tour though.

Mick

• Like 2

I still love it. The Garden, Wish Them Well, Headlong Flight, Carnies, and Halo Effect are magnificent songs. I just love the fact that we got those songs and five others in the DVD.
  • Like 1

The Garden sucks.

:moon:

Still sucks.

You are a troll, and clearly are living under a bridge next to some hazardous chemical plant in the deep recesses of New Jersey.

Virginia.

And "The Garden" is really the only thing I troll this hard on.

• Like 1

The Garden sucks.

Still sucks.

You are a troll, and clearly are living under a bridge next to some hazardous chemical plant in the deep recesses of New Jersey.

Virginia.

Not West Virginia?

The Garden sucks.

Still sucks.

Virginia.

Not West Virginia?

Moved back to Virginia 2 1/2 years ago.

I do like the album, but it has trended downward for me. There is some good stuff on it for sure. At one point I would have put it close to getting into my top 10, now I think its probably settled in around 15 ish

I like Halo Effect better but I like The Garden. I am a ninny however..... :)
  • Like 3

It's held up very strongly for me. It's better than anything from Presto to S&A, inclusive. But it's a shame it has to peter out the way it does -- the final three tracks are by far the weakest on an otherwise remarkably solid album.
  • Like 1

The Garden sucks.

Still sucks.

Virginia.

You said hard on

• Like 4

The Garden sucks.

Still sucks.

Virginia.

You said hard on

I know.

;)

I still listen to CA regularly, and I still consider it a top-tier Rush album—their best lyrically. The Anarchist remains a favorite, with Carnies, Caravan, and Wish Them Well close behind it, while BU2B2 is still the only track I consider disposable. Halo Effect (which I liked to begin with) has probably risen a bit in my esteem, and just recently The Garden (which I've never been crazy about) has too.
  • Like 5

When it came out, I did not know where to place it on my list of albums, it was too new. As time went on, it climbed and climbed, it now sits at roughly number 3 on my list. The Anarchist/Carnies Combo is Killer, and Caravan, Seven Cities, Wish Them Well, and The Garden also stand out as fantastic. Its just Halo Effect for being a bit out of pace with the rest of the album. To all those who think of BU2B2 as dragging down the album, I don't think they appreciate the full art of this album, the song shows the protagonist at his all time low, so its only fair that the song is short, bitter, and lacking of any rock instrumentation. Now the song on its own I understand is not something you want to show up on you're ipod shuffle any time, but in the album it really works.
  • Like 4

I haven't really listened to it in a long time so I guess it's due. I agree about the production not being the best which generally turns me off of an album regardless of what it actually sounds like.
  • Like 1

I has stood the test of time for me. Some songs I like better than others - I still think the start of Wish Them Well is cheesy as hell because of the snare hit on every beat. They redeem themselves later in that song. The first five songs are the ones I like the most on that album.
  • Like 1

Very great album that I honestly haven't given a "break" since it came out - which doesn't mean I listen to it every day but it's got a permanent spot on my phone and whenever tracks come up on shuffle I listen to them. And actually I did dig the vinyl out last weekend and listen to it.

I do agree with Chronos on the album petering out at the end... The Garden is a decent song on it's own but not the masterpiece everybody makes it out, and I honestly think if the album had ended at Headlong Flight it'd be one of their best.

• Like 1

I still listen to CA regularly, and I still consider it a top-tier Rush album—their best lyrically. The Anarchist remains a favorite, with Carnies, Caravan, and Wish Them Well close behind it, while BU2B2 is still the only track I consider disposable. Halo Effect (which I liked to begin with) has probably risen a bit in my esteem, and just recently The Garden (which I've never been crazy about) has too.

To me, BU2B2 isn't so much a song as it is an interstitial, tying together the songs on either side.

To all those who think of BU2B2 as dragging down the album, I don't think they appreciate the full art of this album, the song shows the protagonist at his all time low, so its only fair that the song is short, bitter, and lacking of any rock instrumentation. Now the song on its own I understand is not something you want to show up on you're ipod shuffle any time, but in the album it really works.

Yes, exactly.

• Like 4

To me, BU2B2 isn't so much a song as it is an interstitial, tying together the songs on either side.

That's all well and good, but personally, I wouldn't have minded a more musically appealing interstitial component.

• Like 1

It's held up very strongly for me. It's better than anything from Presto to S&A, inclusive. But it's a shame it has to peter out the way it does -- the final three tracks are by far the weakest on an otherwise remarkably solid album.

Those last three songs may not have the power of the earlier ones, but I think they are good in their own way. The lyrics are certainly meaningful. If the album ended with Headlong Flight it would leave you very energized and wanting more. Those three songs act as the falling action and dénouement/resolution in a book, releasing tension and wrapping everything up nicely.

• Like 8

I haven't really listened to it in a long time so I guess it's due. I agree about the production not being the best which generally turns me off of an album regardless of what it actually sounds like.

I guess I just don't hear this bad production everyone talks about. Well, except for the way the songs come to an end on the recording. I believe it's The Wreckers that sounds as though it was just chopped off at the end, and that seems like such a rookie mistake.

• Like 2