Rush vs Kansas

Rushman14

Rush will win the poll and no matter how many attack me for posting my love for the band Kansas. Kansas to me is a better band . Sure they have been basically over as a band since 1980 and tried in vain to recapture their former glory .But as a band the truth is I listen to them WAY more then I listen to RUSH.

Yes, but these are the RUSH forums, not the Kansas forums. The difference is that here, nobody really gives a rat's arse how much you do or don't listen to Kansas.

I don't think he's serious. Do you? I do agree with him though that there is little worse than watching a band trying to recover a glory they once had.

I think he's serious. He's allowed to like another band more than Rush, and is allowed to state as much -- even here on a Rush board. But a person opens themselves up for criticism if they state those "other band more than Rush" opinions in a trollish manner -- which I do not think patjnev is doing up there. However, we have the following:

Kansas saved me from hair metal bondage . I was never the same after hearing Glimpse of Home. They are actually my true favorite band . Sorry RUSH you're no Kansas .Truely a spectacular band up unto 1982.

You shitthead

You've disgraced the name of Rush forever...get the f*ck off this site

Sorry...got a little carried away there

patjnev, remember what I just said about stating things in a trollish manner? "Sorry RUSH you're no Kansas" is an opinion you're allowed to have, but you had to know the reaction it would get when you typed that on a Rush board. You're allowed to state that opinion, but others are allowed to call you out for it as long as they don't go over the top -- like yyz211282 did in the above exchange.

yyz211282, nice of you to offer that little apology there at the end, but it doesn't erase what preceded it, which was uncalled for and far more trollish than anything patjnev said. You're not allowed to talk to people like that here, and you don't have the right tell anyone to "get the f*ck off this site."

Can you darn them to heck?

Yes, that is acceptable.

• Like 3

Rush is on a Headlong Flight, while Kansas is merely Dust In The Wind.

:sarcastic:

Kansas was a GREAT band for the first (for me) six albums. Once Steve Walsh left after the seventh, it was not the same band anymore, but in my opinion they were already headed in the wrong direction with that seventh album (Audio-Visions). And despite their best efforts since then, that former glory could never be reclaimed, And I say that as a very big fan of the original lineup.

There are Rush fans who think the same -- that Rush stopped being Rush once a lot of the progginess went away. I'm a fan of all eras of Rush -- I love Clockwork Angels -- but I can understand why some fans stopped liking the band once they stopped making 20-minute epics, because THAT'S what they liked about Rush!

Rush are still going, and still going strong, but that doesn't mean you're not a Rush fan if you don't like anything since Signals. Are you going to tell me I'm not a true fan of Kansas because I don't like much of their music since 1979's Monolith? No, you can't tell me that. Well, you could tell me that, but you'd be wrong. And you'd be rude for saying so.

• Like 4

Rush rocks , Kansas rocks .....Rush still rocks ....Kansas still rocks ....Rush plays stadium ....Kansas plays well.....they play...but I still love them .
  • Like 2

As for what I said " Sorry RUSH you're no Kansas " I honestly thought it might get a reaction maybe a good hearted poke or a few jokes. But to be told you get the hell out was something I had to sit and digest for a while . Even though they offered a apology it angered me greatly. And to be honest the more I read their reaction the angrier it made me . It should be obvious that I am entitled to a opinion about RUSH. I have never been a larger fan of ANY band but RUSH . I have seen them a number of times in concert and bought all of their studio releases. I even bought the ones that suck. I didn't even do that for Kansas !!!!!!!! I keep hoping for one last great release from the boys that is why I hang around . But not if I get my hind quarter singed everytime I voice a freaking opinion.
  • Like 2

As for what I said " Sorry RUSH you're no Kansas " I honestly thought it might get a reaction maybe a good hearted poke or a few jokes. But to be told you get the hell out was something I had to sit and digest for a while . Even though they offered a apology it angered me greatly. And to be honest the more I read their reaction the angrier it made me . It should be obvious that I am entitled to a opinion about RUSH. I have never been a larger fan of ANY band but RUSH . I have seen them a number of times in concert and bought all of their studio releases. I even bought the ones that suck. I didn't even do that for Kansas !!!!!!!! I keep hoping for one last great release from the boys that is why I hang around . But not if I get my hind quarter singed everytime I voice a freaking opinion.

It's an online forum. You grow a thick skin eventually. I had too with Friggin' Clockwork Angels, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Kansas was a GREAT band for the first (for me) six albums. Once Steve Walsh left after the seventh, it was not the same band anymore, but in my opinion they were already headed in the wrong direction with that seventh album (Audio-Visions). And despite their best efforts since then, that former glory could never be reclaimed, And I say that as a very big fan of the original lineup.

There are Rush fans who think the same -- that Rush stopped being Rush once a lot of the progginess went away. I'm a fan of all eras of Rush -- I love Clockwork Angels -- but I can understand why some fans stopped liking the band once they stopped making 20-minute epics, because THAT'S what they liked about Rush!

Rush are still going, and still going strong, but that doesn't mean you're not a Rush fan if you don't like anything since Signals. Are you going to tell me I'm not a true fan of Kansas because I don't like much of their music since 1979's Monolith? No, you can't tell me that. Well, you could tell me that, but you'd be wrong. And you'd be rude for saying so.

Growing up in the 80's, I saw pretty much all of the teen comedy/romance/drama movies of the time: The Breakfast Club, Better Off Dead, Pretty In Pink, so on and so forth. One movie I didn't see back then was Sixteen Candles. Now, as an adult, I can watch all of those movies I'd seen before, and still love them. But I do not have the same appreciation for Sixteen Candles. Even though it is the same genre, from the same time period, with the same actors, same themes, etc., I just can't watch that movie and laugh, or feel anything, really. Had I seen it at the time, I probably would have really liked it the way I did all the others.

This is how I feel about Kansas. I grew up listening to Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Genesis, and King Crimson. Loved it all. Never listened to Kansas. When I finally did hear some of their older stuff, it did have all of the elements in it that I would have loved back when I was a teenager. But hearing it at 39 years old, it just felt like I'd heard it all before, and couldn't muster the interest to really explore them. But I know I would have loved them when I was 16. Not their fault, just bad timing.

• Like 3

I didn't think you said anything bad. Some of the Rush fans around here are the ones who need a thicker skin and accept that even on a Rush forum, there will be people who like other bands more than Rush, and will say so. As long as people can do that without behaving like a-holes about it, it should be ok. I'm glad you were apologized to. It was the right thing to do.

• Like 1

Dust In The Wind was my high school senior class song. I am torn on this one... :codger:

Don't Look Back was ours. And so many of those same f*ckers who voted for that song wind up going to every last goddamn class reunion!

Come Sail Away came in second..... :)

I'm sorry, but I can no longer read that song title without thinking of the South Park version:

• Like 2

Dust In The Wind was my high school senior class song. I am torn on this one... :codger:

Don't Look Back was ours. And so many of those same f*ckers who voted for that song wind up going to every last goddamn class reunion!

Come Sail Away came in second..... :)

I'm sorry, but I can no longer read that song title without thinking of the South Park version:

http://youtu.be/JcmOe2geZ4Q

"Come sail away down a river with a black guy!"

• Like 2

I didn't think you said anything bad. Some of the Rush fans around here are the ones who need a thicker skin and accept that even on a Rush forum, there will be people who like other bands more than Rush, and will say so. As long as people can do that without behaving like a-holes about it, it should be ok. I'm glad you were apologized to. It was the right thing to do.

I agree they did the right thing and forgive me I cant remember the members name at the moment

I agree they did the right thing and forgive me I cant remember the members name at the moment

That's why it's called forgive and "forget."

;)

I thought the Power album with Steve Morse was pretty solid

I thought the Power album with Steve Morse was pretty solid

I liked a few songs from that, as well as a few from In The Spirit Of Things. I mean, if you can't have Kerry Livgren, you could do far worse than Steve Morse. And Walsh was back, too. But both albums feature pop ballads written by outside songwriters, which indicates record company involvement in getting "hit singles" made. That's not the Kansas I like to remember.

• Like 2

We need some more votes guys. Kansas has been gaining about 1% per day over the past several days. At that rate they will take the lead before voting ends. Let's head on over and put some more votes In!

Remember you can vote once an hour and from multiple devices: :ph34r:

http://ultimateclass...=fbshare_mobile

I tried playing some Kansas. Not exactly amazing stuff.

RUSH FOR THE WIN!

RUSH FOR THE WIN!

Kansas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Springsteen

• Like 1

RUSH FOR THE WIN!

Kansas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Springsteen

Glad you like them!

RUSH FOR THE WIN!

Glad you like them!

Who said anything about liking them? :)

Why are people making comparisons to Soringsteen? The two are not alike, so what is the point? I don't have to like Kansas, so I voted for Rush. What is the point of bringing Springsteen into the picture, its just silly?

Why are people making comparisons to Soringsteen? The two are not alike, so what is the point? I don't have to like Kansas, so I voted for Rush. What is the point of bringing Springsteen into the picture, its just silly?

Didn't say you had to like Kansas. Just stating the fact that I like both compared to your hero. :D

• Like 1

Didn't say you had to like Kansas. Just stating the fact that I like both compared to your hero. :D

ok...fair enough. Lol I am overprotective of my man The Springster...

Kansas honestly disappointed me. Hoped to be blown away, but it was boring. I played The Point Of No Return.