Did kRUSH win the RushCon tribute band contest?

KennyLee

No... but we are very proud and happy to have made the final three. It was a blind competition so I could not ask for the help of my fellow TRFers but I'm sure you all would have supported me had you known.

Tis a sad day for me but we have some other news that is just as good if not better... looking forward to letting you all know. That will be announced at the end of next week so I will hold off until then.

Sorry you didn't win, but getting to the final three is nothing to sniff at, ether. Congrats for that. I know you guys are awesome, anyway. Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

How are you able to know who is winning? RushCon's site doesn't have anything mentioned yet unless they are still counting votes.

Sucks Mr Lee. Was pulling for you.... :( Keep following your dreams anyway...... :cheers:
  • Like 2

I listened and voted several weeks ago. I think all the song samples were good. The one the comes to my mind that got a high vote from me was whoever did "Freewill". It was towards the bottom of the samples. It was a very good rendition of the song.

How are you able to know who is winning? RushCon's site doesn't have anything mentioned yet unless they are still counting votes.

We were notified because we were in the top three. The voting is over and tallied. I won't mention who won until they announce it out of respect.

Sucks Mr Lee. Was pulling for you.... :( Keep following your dreams anyway...... :cheers:

Thanks, Narp! We'll keep plugging away because we love it. We didn't start this to win a competition, we started it because we love the music and enjoy playing it more than anything else.

We have a better gig coming up anyway. Way more people will see this one.

I listened and voted several weeks ago. I think all the song samples were good. The one the comes to my mind that got a high vote from me was whoever did "Freewill". It was towards the bottom of the samples. It was a very good rendition of the song.

That wasn't us. :( We decided against doing the obvious songs so we did Hemispheres: Prelude with the Cygnus X-1 intro, Natural Science and Marathon.

I'll forever second guess not spending more time on my vocals but the guy who recorded us had a medical issue with his wife and there just wasn't time.

I voted high for "Marathon" as well, so that was you! Truth be told, it was kind of difficult to pick. There were no bad ones in my opinion. I didn't score low on anybody.
  • Like 1

That wasn't us. :( We decided against doing the obvious songs so we did Hemispheres: Prelude with the Cygnus X-1 intro, Natural Science and Marathon.

I'll forever second guess not spending more time on my vocals but the guy who recorded us had a medical issue with his wife and there just wasn't time.

Great minds think alike Kenny. While we didn't make the Top 3, we chose not to do obvious songs as well. Freewill (ok that's obvious but it was necessary to show the vocal range from our singer), Dreamline, and The Garden. We only had 3 weeks to get a recording done, and well that just wasnt enough time to get it done better.

Congrats on making it to the Top 3. Still need to check you guys out live sometime. maybe over the summer?

• Like 1

I liked whoever did "Mission" as well. Which is tough for me because certain songs are sacred to me as originals and any cover won't quite feel the same to me. But I did like the band who did that one. Their version was very good.

Sorry to hear about that KL. You guys do a great job.

Probably payback for dissing Squire.

Haha. I have got to try to get in to Squire. It's haunting me over here. :)

Thanks.

• Like 1

Great minds think alike Kenny. While we didn't make the Top 3, we chose not to do obvious songs as well. Freewill (ok that's obvious but it was necessary to show the vocal range from our singer), Dreamline, and The Garden. We only had 3 weeks to get a recording done, and well that just wasnt enough time to get it done better.

Congrats on making it to the Top 3. Still need to check you guys out live sometime. maybe over the summer?

Yeah, we went with Hemispheres to show range and musicianship. Maybe we went too obscure for the casual voters. No use second guessing.

Fortunately our goal is just to play music we love. Still got that going for us and there are some exciting new frontiers on our horizon. God damn I love what I do!

Yeah, we went with Hemispheres to show range and musicianship. Maybe we went too obscure for the casual voters. No use second guessing.

Fortunately our goal is just to play music we love. Still got that going for us and there are some exciting new frontiers on our horizon. God damn I love what I do!

trust me, there are no casual fans voting for their favorite rush tribute band

trust me, there are no casual fans voting for their favorite rush tribute band

You'd be surprised. One of the comments was, "OMG. It sounds just like Getty!" :facepalm:

Maybe they thought it sounded like gas? :huh:

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that Kenny. I really thought you guys Krushed it on Natural Science especially, and I'm kind of surprised you lost, since that is such a popular song with Rush junkies like me and you play it so well. But the I guess the other two bands were very good too.
  • Like 1

No... but we are very proud and happy to have made the final three. It was a blind competition so I could not ask for the help of my fellow TRFers but I'm sure you all would have supported me had you known.

Tis a sad day for me but we have some other news that is just as good if not better... looking forward to letting you all know. That will be announced at the end of next week so I will hold off until then.

OOOOOHHHHH, the suspense is killing me!

• Like 1

Congratulations on making the top 3 Kenny, that is no small feat. All bands were great and the bar is raised higher every year. Lotus Land won in 2012, they are awesome. If memory serves me correctly, the bass player for The Rush Tribute Project was the bass player for the winning band (and Music Events Coordinator) at RushCon 1. You guys did a great job coming up alongside past winners! Looking good for next year...
  • Like 1