Lacuna Coil, Segue's Favourite Band Ever

Lacuna Coil have been my favourite band for nearly ten years. Do I make the claim that they are the greatest band ever? No.

But i adore them. Something about their music swamps me with emotion, and although there are many female fronted metal bands around, Lacuna Coil are one of the first, having formed in 1994. I love all their albums, have seen them live, met them in person, and have cried endlessly to them in my darkest hours. I would be interested in seeing what you guys think of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB9LXpO6yWo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly9E30Hc5pg

Edited by Segue Myles

[quote name=yyz211282' timestamp='1400106728' post='31579

4]

Pardon my French, but who the f*ck is Lacuna Coil?

They are from Italy. They have had four top thirty albums in the US, two actually going top twenty, and they have a very large cult fanbase worldwide. Constantly touring, Cristina has worked with Apocalyptica, Megadeth and Alter Bridge. Seriously great band. Look them up. They have seven albums plus two EP's.

Journey is better..... :codger: :D

Maybe!

But LC are my first love...always will be!

They're not bad ;)

But please, understand that coming from me, that is a compliment! I generally don't like female singers but I do like her. I would consider buying an album of theirs if it all sounded somewhat like those two songs.

Journey is better..... :codger: :D

Maybe!

But LC are my first love...always will be!

Understood my brother. Rush was mine. I may not care for some of their "later" stuff but nothing will replace my love for 74'-85'..... :)

They're not bad ;)

But please, understand that coming from me, that is a compliment! I generally don't like female siperformingbut I do like her. I would consider buying an album of theirs if it all sounded somewhat like those two songs.

They do, the singles I picked are very reprasentative. Also, the male singer has a very prominent role, they have a unique partnership of male/female harmonies without resorting to performing endless love songs!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that pic! Who were they playing with? Was it good?

I took a listen to their last few albums, especially their latest album. I enjoyed Nothing Stands in Our Way, Zombies, and Hostage to the Light. It's pretty good for the most parts. I enjoy it when the male/female vocal dynamics is in play as long as it's done right and it's been the case for Lacuna Coil. Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

I've been a fan since around the time Comalies was their newest release, so that's a decade or so now. I really like their first three albums, their two early EPs and their new album a lot. Unleashed Memories is my favorite album from them. I don't have high praise for Karmacode or Shallow Life though. The sound on Karmacode was just bad. I want my Lacuna Coil to be gothic metal not sound like f***ing Korn. There's a few decent tunes on it, one of which Segue put in the first post but overall going nu-metal wasn't the right musical direction for the band. Shallow Life was just a sad attempt at going pop metal and the less said about that failure the better. Dark Adrenaline was a step in the right direction and they started to return to the Lacuna Coil I like but I thought it sounded a little too much like Evanescence. They've returned to form with the new album and sound like the band that I loved on those first three albums.

I'll be seeing them on the 28th. This is the first time since they toured for Karmacode that they've played in my town and it will also be the first ever headlining show in this area for them. So, I guess the perfect place to write a review would be in this thread then.

• Like 1

I have known of Lacuna Coil before. I have played Our Truth a couple of times of Rock Band 2. Having said that, I don't like it. It's not them, its just too heavy metal for me.
  • Like 1

I have known of Lacuna Coil before. I have played Our Truth a couple of times of Rock Band 2. Having said that, I don't like it. It's not them, its just too heavy metal for me.

They have released a lot of music with a more electronic/polished sheen as well:

They have released a lot of music with a more electronic/polished sheen as well:

Not bad. I'm not scrambling for their albums or anything, but its good. It's funny, these two songs to me make me think of Evanescence meets Eurovision. One thing I can say, three out of the four you have suggested have had fantastic intros.

Not bad. I'm not scrambling for their albums or anything, but its good. It's funny, these two songs to me make me think of Evanescence meets Eurovision. One thing I can say, three out of the four you have suggested have had fantastic intros.

Now I need to get back to you on Oingo Boingo...

I have never heard much in the way of Evanescence that reminds me of Lacuna. I like Ev, but for me LC stand alone. But I have been an avid fan for ten years haha

For anyone making a comparison to Evanescence, just remember Lacuna Coil was around a before them. Evanescence first album came out in 2003 and Lacuna Coil already had three albums and two EPs released by that time. The only time I think the two bands sounded similar musically was on Coil's last album.

Since Segue is flooding the topic with favorite songs from them, I may as well do the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9oULbgymDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjHKG2cjXK8

• Like 1

Good choices!

I listened to the first two songs and they were good. The rest of the songs all have a great opening 10 seconds, and that's as far as I've got. I'll look into it deeper after work.

Many (me included) have found a lot of their work to be a grower. It can sound bland/boring, but once they get under your skin its easy to get hooked. So many of my friends found it took a little while to get into them. Heck, nearly every Rush album sucked to my ears on their first few spins! But patience rewarded me...

Now I need to get back to you on Oingo Boingo...

I have never heard much in the way of Evanescence that reminds me of Lacuna. I like Ev, but for me LC stand alone. But I have been an avid fan for ten years haha

Well yeah, when you are a big fan of something, its only natural to want to paint them in a unique light, like there is no other.

If I am honest with you, Lacuna in the early days sounded closer to The Gathering and Paradise Lost. Amy Lee and friends have a sound that to my earsnis closer to Bjork mixed with Linkin Park. When LC americanised their sound, I sensed a stronger push towards the likes of Disturbed and Korn (but I hate those bands, I just think LC wisely incorporated elements nof nu metal sucfessfully into their music). To my ears, Cristina and Amy do not sound alike at all. Cristina has a deeper voice, more earthy and sensual. Amy is higher pitched, more ethereal.

It has nothing to do with me being a massive fan of LC, but I have never sensed a strong similarity beyond the fact both bands have women and often sing melancholy tunes. I am a very discerning listener and I would be honest if I did think they were alike, but I have never played LC and felt they sound like Evanescence, in the same way that I don't play seventies era Rush and mistake them for Yes simply because both bands were progressive.