Spooky / Supernatural crap

Lost In Xanadu

What's your take on fortune tellers, ghosts, talking to the dead, etc?

I don't put much value on any of it. I used to be quite superstitious when it came to the Packers, but even that I don't worry about anymore.

One story though, always makes me laugh (thought about it due to talking about Boston in another thread)...

Was in Boston... my parents flew there for a conference my dad was attending, and I flew up from DC to see them. The conference had a dinner cruise planned for everyone and I tagged along. At dinner, one of my dad's friends was trying to hook me up with the waitress. When she asked me my name (before I could give my ACTUAL name) my dad's friend said "Johnny." No idea why, but we had fun with it for the time we were there and she was going to take me out on the town, but I wasn't too much into her so I declined.

The next day, we did a Salem tour and part of it was seeing a fortune teller. She asked for a piece of jewelry, and I gave her my watch... the first question she asked was "Who's Johnny?" :LOL:

• Like 3

I actually think ghost/spirits are possible and I don't even know why I think that. Its something my mind could probably be changed on either way with very little proof. Which is to say its not something I spend much time thinking or caring about.... :) Edited by Narpski

I have zero reason to believe any of it. I'm not saying there are not spirits etc, because I really don't know, but do I think they'd spend time flickering lights and messing with toasters? Nope.
  • Like 3

Don't buy into it at all, however...

I did just find out recently that when you see a rainbow you are using the cones in your eye (as opposed to the rods) to see it. Some animals do not have these cones and therefore cannot see the rainbow. That led my line of thinking to this very topic thinking that, just because my eyes are not capable of seeing something does not mean it isn't there. Too deep?

Welcome to my thought processes. :facepalm:

That being said, the whole spirit, soul, whatever is not something I even want to believe in. I take more comfort in thinking when I die that it is just over. Eternity is a long time to be wandering around messing with people. JMO

• Like 5

..... but do I think they'd spend time flickering lights and messing with toasters? Nope.

Yah.....you would think that spirits, with access to eternal and infinite knowledge and wisdom, would come up with something a little bit more creative.....;)

• Like 2

I did just find out recently that when you see a rainbow you are using the cones in your eye (as opposed to the rods) to see it. Some animals do not have these cones and therefore cannot see the rainbow. That led my line of thinking to this very topic thinking that, just because my eyes are not capable of seeing something does not mean it isn't there. Too deep?

If only we had ways to detect infrared, ultraviolet, radio, x-rays, and everything else on the spectrum...

I don't believe in any of it. But I could be convinced if there was true, repeatable, proof.

When people claim to have seen/experienced "unexplainable phenomena" I do think it's probably some bizarre coincidence, or due to something the observer is not aware of. If there is anything that is truly unexplainable then it is most likely caused by something we have not discovered yet. For example, I'm sure at some point in not-too-distant history things like the Northern/Southern lights were probably considered supernatural because people didn't know what caused it.

I have zero reason to believe any of it. I'm not saying there are not spirits etc, because I really don't know, but do I think they'd spend time flickering lights and messing with toasters? Nope.

I always though that too.

A few years ago I was talking to one of the Partners at work in his office. We were both standing in about the middle of his office when both adding machines started "typing". We could hear the numbers being pushed and we could see the tape scrolling up. It went for 2-3 seconds and stopped, it did that 2-3 times (I can't remember now). We both looked at each other and said what was that? The adding machines were about 20 feet apart and on different circuits. I went and looked at a wiring blueprint for our office to make sure Both machines tapes had scrolled out but one of them had run out of ink. We were going to compare and see if the numbers were the same. As we couldn't compare the numbers we never said anything to anyone else.

..... but do I think they'd spend time flickering lights and messing with toasters? Nope.

Yah.....you would think that spirits, with access to eternal and infinite knowledge and wisdom, would come up with something a little bit more creative..... ;)

Seriously - if I find a way to make it back here after death, I'm damn sure going to make certain my "presence" is felt! People won't just wonder if something or someone might be there - they're gonna KNOW it!

Go big or go home.

• Like 1

Yah.....you would think that spirits, with access to eternal and infinite knowledge and wisdom, would come up with something a little bit more creative..... ;)

Seriously - if I find a way to make it back here after death, I'm damn sure going to make certain my "presence" is felt! People won't just wonder if something or someone might be there - they're gonna KNOW it!

Go big or go home.

Just don't be like Beetlejuice, OK? His schtick is so 1988.....;)

In broad daylight I'm a sceptic. In a dark forest at night I just about believe it all :ph34r:

In broad daylight, I distinctly saw a silhouette of a male figure.

If I were dead and wasn't getting attention you better believe I'd be messing with toasters, lights, coffee makers, and flinging vases across the room.

My mom had a friend Joy in Colorado, and she owned a house built in the 1800's, and sometimes we'd house sit for her. It was one of those places where you'd see movement out of the corner of your eyes, dark spots dart past, etc... It happened so much I thought something was wrong with my eyes but then I realized it only happened at her house. She also had this enclosed sun room off to the side of the living room and I NEVER felt alone when I was in there, my skin would crawl, I'd go cold, I always felt as if I were being watched. It was the weirdest thing but I thought I was being paranoid.

When Joy came home I told her I had spent some time in the room trying to read and she said she was surprised I was able to stay in the "haunted room" for more than five minutes. :huh:

In broad daylight I'm a sceptic. In a dark forest at night I just about believe it all :ph34r:

In broad daylight, I distinctly saw a silhouette of a male figure.

That was just Treeduck's shadow. He was stalking you.... :o ;)