Hemispheres "too high"?

Scottjf8

Never cared for Geddy's singing on Hemispheres. One of the funniest and most awful parts is when he sings "lost and aimless like their brothers for their hearts were so unclear...."
  • Like 1

They recorded the music, in too high a key, before Geddy recorded his vocals. It was too late to re-record the music in a lower key, so Geddy had to sing the entire album at the very top of his singing range.

^^^^

This.

They worked out the without considering if it was in a key Geddy would be able to sing comfortably.

again how did they not realize this during rehearsals? I remember when I watched the documentary I was thinking "huh?"

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:
  • Like 1

I thought Geddy was talking about how high the vocals were just in general on the album. I do remember him saying something like "I don't know what I was thinking" when asked about the high vocals in Circumstances, for instance.

I love Geddy's voice, but for some reason on Hemispheres I have got to be in the mood to hear the album. But I don't fault it in anyway, the vocals are not a flaw. I just have to be in the right frame of mind!

But I wouldn't recommend Hemisoheres as a first time album. It would have scared me off had it been mine!

• Like 1

I loved Hemispheres when I first got it, then kind of fell out of love with it after several listens. I love that dramatic intro though.

I love Geddy's voice, but for some reason on Hemispheres I have got to be in the mood to hear the album. But I don't fault it in anyway, the vocals are not a flaw. I just have to be in the right frame of mind!

But I wouldn't recommend Hemisoheres as a first time album. It would have scared me off had it been mine!

You know what? You make some sense sometimes..... :ebert:

They recorded the music, in too high a key, before Geddy recorded his vocals. It was too late to re-record the music in a lower key, so Geddy had to sing the entire album at the very top of his singing range.

how does this happen? Clearly there must have sessions where they wrote and rehearsed the songs before they recorded them. Geddy didn't realize before the recording process that the key they wrote the songs in was really high?

I love the vocals in Hemispheres but they would have to drop the tuning if there was ever a chance of performing any of it live.

According to Geddy, Hemispheres (the whole album) was basically written in the studio. They had nothing going in (though it might be fair to assume they probably had some instrumental bits and pieces roughly worked out from sound check jams and such.)

So yeah, they work out this awesome 20-minute piece, record it, studio time's ticking away and they've gotta get back out on the road soon and Geddy's now ready to do the vocals and... uh oh!

The experience of recording Hemispheres was a turning point for the band in a few different ways. Not only did they decide to chuck the epic-length songs, but they also decided from that point on to slow things down a bit and do more pre-production work before going into the studio proper. ;)

I just wonder why they didn't rewrite the melodies in order to be more easy to sing. It just seems bizarre that he was "forced" to sing certain melodies.

Those were the melodies that were in tune with the songs. To rewrite the melodies would require reworking the instrumentals. They did not have time to do all of that.

You know what? You make some sense sometimes..... :ebert:

Aww shucks man...so do you!

Have a cupcake. Its flavoured with awesome.

• Like 2

how does this happen? Clearly there must have sessions where they wrote and rehearsed the songs before they recorded them. Geddy didn't realize before the recording process that the key they wrote the songs in was really high?

I love the vocals in Hemispheres but they would have to drop the tuning if there was ever a chance of performing any of it live.

According to Geddy, Hemispheres (the whole album) was basically written in the studio. They had nothing going in (though it might be fair to assume they probably had some instrumental bits and pieces roughly worked out from sound check jams and such.)

So yeah, they work out this awesome 20-minute piece, record it, studio time's ticking away and they've gotta get back out on the road soon and Geddy's now ready to do the vocals and... uh oh!

The experience of recording Hemispheres was a turning point for the band in a few different ways. Not only did they decide to chuck the epic-length songs, but they also decided from that point on to slow things down a bit and do more pre-production work before going into the studio proper. ;)

I just wonder why they didn't rewrite the melodies in order to be more easy to sing. It just seems bizarre that he was "forced" to sing certain melodies.

My hunch is that Geddy's ability to sing alternate melodies back then was limited...Hemisphere was undoubtedly a challenge to play just instrumentally, much less play and sing, and I'm thinking he just couldn't have pulled off the extra challenge of singing an alternate melody to such challenging music.

Eh, I disagree. He often changed the rhythm of the lyrics back then which is tougher to do while playing than changing melodies. I think back then they were going for sounded as much like the album as possible. They were purists. The could have saved his neck hole just by tuning down a half step but it just wasn't done back then.
  • Like 1

Selecting a different beat to sing on is a long way removed from singing an entire song using harmony lines.

Never cared for Geddy's singing on Hemispheres. One of the funniest and most awful parts is when he sings "lost and aimless like their brothers for their hearts were so unclear...."

must say I still love that part :)

• Like 1

greatest record ever made
  • Like 5

I think the singing wouldve sounded flat had he sung a key lower. It wouldntve been dramatic without the higher vocals

Fuct up. Misread your post..

Anyway I've always thought his lower pitch spoken parts sound cool, like in Double Agent. ..Wouldn't really fit hemispheres though.. Ok I'll shut up lol

Edited by MMCXII

I love that song with all my heart and soul, and the vocal performance is a big part of the reason why. I wish I could thank Geddy for everything it means to me.

"Stubbornness, passion, and a hell of a strong diaphragm..." :wub:

Selecting a different beat to sing on is a long way removed from singing an entire song using harmony lines.

Eh, not in the writing process. That melody is only the melody because he deemed it so. It's not like he was already too comfortable with it to change it. If he was he would have realized how f-ing high it was.

He stuck with it and plowed on because he was true to his art. That was the melody he wanted so that IS the melody.

I agree, thanks Ged!

• Like 1

Tried this song again or the first time in forever for the thread. Made it a little past 5 mins. Those vocals. Is it a good thing when your only thought during a song is......SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!!!!!! didn't think so. ok it was more like over 10 mins in, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Tried this song again or the first time in forever for the thread. Made it a little past 5 mins. Those vocals. Is it a good thing when your only thought during a song is......SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!!!!!! didn't think so.

Mick

:eh:

Eh, not in the writing process. That melody is only the melody because he deemed it so. It's not like he was already too comfortable with it to change it. If he was he would have realized how f-ing high it was.

He stuck with it and plowed on because he was true to his art. That was the melody he wanted so that IS the melody.

I agree, thanks Ged!

We're both speculating here. We both agree that he didn't want to change the melody he had in mind. Your belief is that he didn't change it out of some sense of artistic purity and my belief is he didn't change it because he didn't want the additional headache of trying to doing so.

• Like 1

At first I thought this topic was going to be about something along the lines of "Hemispheres is ranked too highly among Rush fans".

And then I was gonna rage.

But fortunately that's not the case!

• Like 1