Fargo - Tv Show on FX. 9 out of 10 for me

alphseeker

Yeah, I'm loving it. My favorite show on TV right now.

Was surprised to see the show suddenly advance a year like they did last night. Bold move, and one I actually like. A lot of shows would've spent that time painfully hashing out the characters, and failing to advance the story. Not here, they haven't wasted any time on this series, it is wall to wall nuts and bolts. But still the characters aren't hollow, you get a sense of where they've been and what they're becoming. Even in skipping a year of time, the characters develop wonderfully and obviously without you ever seeing a moment passed.

It was cool to see the new confident Lester in Las Vegas, and how far his character had come- then the very moment that he saw Malvo in that vegas bar (sitting across the table from the great Stephen Root, I noticed) he shrunk back down to the mannerisms and nervousness of the original Lester from the beginning.

I'm excited to see how Key and Peele develop into the plot, as their angst about spending a year in the archives room will certainly act as a huge motivating force in their future actions. Malvo's new look, and unexpected arrival in Las Vegas makes me wonder what he's up to. And Molly and Gus' new family life makes me very, very nervous about the vulnerability of such innocent, good natured, lovable characters.

• Like 1

I found the jump in time to be quite satisfying. It immediately made me think of the movie and how the couples parallel each other. I found it interesting that in the movie the husband designs a postage stamp and in the television show Gus is now a letter carrier. I love the little connections.

What's up with Stavros? I guess it's safe to assume Malvo benefited from his blackmail scheme.

Two more episodes. I can't wait.

For some reason I thought last night was the finale so when it was over I was really pissed because that would be a terrible ending to just stop everything right there. But I found out today there were 2 more episodes so that definitely raised my opinion of it.

I hate Lester.

One to go...

I think Malvo ripped his heart out and ate it but Lester just keeps living somehow. That apple pie, garden of Eden comment was classic.

I don't understand why Lester would've had Linda put the jacket on.

If she would've gone in uncovered, Malvo may have simply remained hidden, and they could've got their passports and been on their way. Having her put on the jacket only drew Malvo out into the open, so that she could not retrieve the passports, and Lester would be trapped with another mess to deal with.

I've absolutely loved the series up until the latest episode. But I don't understand where they're going now. I'm hoping the last episode ties it all up, but it seems like a tall order. It just seems like they're all over the board, and can't possibly close all of these loops. I hope I'm wrong on that front.

One vibe I'm getting is that Lester is kind of doing the Walter White thing all over again... Mr. Chips turns into Scarface, except it's not executed with nearly as much nuance, and it's gone much deeper much faster.

I just hope that they can surprise me in the last episode, and bring things back to purpose nicely.

Edited by KenJennings

If she would've gone in uncovered, Malvo may have simply remained hidden, and they could've got their passports and been on their way. Having her put on the jacket only drew Malvo out into the open, so that she could not retrieve the passports, and Lester would be trapped with another mess to deal with.

I've absolutely loved the series up until the latest episode. But I don't understand where they're going now. I'm hoping the last episode ties it all up, but it seems like a tall order. It just seems like they're all over the board, and can't possibly close all of these loops. I hope I'm wrong on that front.

One vibe I'm getting is that Lester is kind of doing the Walter White thing all over again... Mr. Chips turns into Scarface, except it's not executed with nearly as much nuance, and it's gone much deeper much faster.

I just hope that they can surprise me in the last episode, and bring things back to purpose nicely.

Lester had to find out if Malvo was out to kill him. Also, he didn't actually love her. She was a trophy. That's all.

The show is headed for a show down between good and evil. Molly and Gus vs. Lester and Malvo.

I don't see how the show is all over the board. The major characters are set up for a resolution.

If you're worried about loose ends, I wouldn't. Look at shows like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. Lots of loose ends.

I thought episode 9 was wonderfully done. I can only imagine the last 90 minutes is going to be intense.

• Like 2

If you're worried about loose ends, I wouldn't. Look at shows like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. Lots of loose ends.

I don't think Breaking Bad had a whole lot of loose ends. The finale was basically dedicated to tying almost all of them up

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

I don't think Breaking Bad had a whole lot of loose ends. The finale was basically dedicated to tying almost all of them up

I'll say it certainly had less loose ends than The Sopranos. But, there were loose ends, one very huge one. Anyway, my point is loose ends don't necessarily mean the story isn't wrapped up and concluded. Not to sound too pretentious, but real life has a ton of loose ends. In a television show as intelligent as Fargo loose ends aren't a bad thing.

I'll say it certainly had less loose ends than The Sopranos. But, there were loose ends, one very huge one.

How so?

Breaking Bad is a case study on how to clean up a show at the end. If Fargo comes anywhere even near the brilliance of closure that Breaking Bad did, it will be a stunning success.

I'll say it certainly had less loose ends than The Sopranos. But, there were loose ends, one very huge one.

How so?

Breaking Bad is a case study on how to clean up a show at the end. If Fargo comes anywhere even near the brilliance of closure that Breaking Bad did, it will be a stunning success.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Jesse "driving off" always bothered me, though. And there were still characters with information that can certainly ruin Walt's efforts at redemption. But I guess I could be reaching a bit (or a lot!). Anyway, Breaking Bad certainly satisfied with its ending. No doubt. But I don't think Fargo needs to do what Breaking Bad did to be satisfying. As I see it, only four characters need any type of closure - Molly, Gus, Lester and Malvo. It's all down to those four. Focus on them and it will be fine.

Lester had to find out if Malvo was out to kill him. Also, he didn't actually love her. She was a trophy. That's all.

The show is headed for a show down between good and evil. Molly and Gus vs. Lester and Malvo.

I don't see how the show is all over the board. The major characters are set up for a resolution.

I thought episode 9 was wonderfully done. I can only imagine the last 90 minutes is going to be intense.

I agree, Linda was just his trophy and he obviously didn't love her (or it seems anyone for that matter from the crap he did to his wife, his brother etc...) 'cuz he fed her to the wolves. And he had to be sure Malvo was on the hunt.

I don't see the show being all over the place either. Sure there are some major holes, arresting and convicting the brother for the murder of Lesters wife for starters. I think I could have gotten him off..Whoa... :unsure:...(that's not what I mean :blush: ) of that charge. Anyway there are some pretty big "how did that happen"? or "What's that all about"? questions but they aren't enough to make me want to scream "OH COME ON!!! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME!!!"

So far I really like the show and hope the finale is worth the wait and if you want to talk about a show that left us hanging off of about a thousand cliffs...Anybody get sucked into a little gen called Lost?

I agree, Linda was just his trophy and he obviously didn't love her (or it seems anyone for that matter from the crap he did to his wife, his brother etc...) 'cuz he fed her to the wolves. And he had to be sure Malvo was on the hunt.

I don't see the show being all over the place either. Sure there are some major holes, arresting and convicting the brother for the murder of Lesters wife for starters. I think I could have gotten him off..Whoa... :unsure:...(that's not what I mean :blush: ) of that charge. Anyway there are some pretty big "how did that happen"? or "What's that all about"? questions but they aren't enough to make me want to scream "OH COME ON!!! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME!!!"

So far I really like the show and hope the finale is worth the wait and if you want to talk about a show that left us hanging off of about a thousand cliffs...Anybody get sucked into a little gen called Lost?

A theme of the show is how some of us don't go all out, we cut corners and avoid adversity and neglect responsibility. The Bemidji Police Department is an example of this. Malvo is the Devil walking on Earth. When he kills Thurman in the first episode he basically stopped the efficiency of the Bemidji police. And Molly's proper place in the investigation. The Bemidji hospital was shown from the beginning to be less than efficient. Nobody seems to want to fulfill responsibility. With this in mind, I find it very plausible that the Bemidji DA and the jury would want to convict ANYONE to move on from its responsibility.

I rambled, as I usually do, but I hope I made my point. Malvo is the Devil and idle hands do the Devil's work. Molly is the opposite of that. I can't wait.

• Like 2

I rambled, as I usually do, but I hope I made my point. Malvo is the Devil and idle hands do the Devil's work. Molly is the opposite of that. I can't wait.

I'm never really one to put Big D in every work of fiction I see, that is not to say that I don't share your opinion. I have a more "Darwinian" take on the show, in which Malvo is a highly skilled predator in a world of sheep. The sheep are either total idiots (the new Duluth Police Chief, Molly's husband); intelligent but defenseless (the former Police Chief, Molly); selfish and skilled only on pure survival (Lester).

• Like 2

I found it interesting that the show ended with Molly's family watching Deal or No Deal. That seemed like a callback to Lester's first meeting with Malvo, where Malvo essentially asked 'deal or no deal' about the hit on Hess. In fact, it's a theme that recurred throughout the series. Edited by KenJennings

I'm never really one to put Big D in every work of fiction I see, that is not to say that I don't share your opinion. I have a more "Darwinian" take on the show, in which Malvo is a highly skilled predator in a world of sheep. The sheep are either total idiots (the new Duluth Police Chief, Molly's husband); intelligent but defenseless (the former Police Chief, Molly); selfish and skilled only on pure survival (Lester).

I don't disagree. The Big D or highly skilled predator, both can work at explaing Malvo. The finale really puts credence into your interpretation.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

I loved in the final scene of the finale how

Lester just fell into thin ice instead of the usual cliche of him getting arrested.

That was a great, jaw dropping, way to end the season in a slightly unorthodox way.

And very Coen Brothers-esque.

After it sank in, I realised it was the perfect ending. Straight down... to hell.

• Like 1

I loved in the final scene of the finale how

Lester just fell into thin ice instead of the usual cliche of him getting arrested.

That was a great, jaw dropping, way to end the season in a slightly unorthodox way.

And very Coen Brothers-esque.

After it sank in, I realised it was the perfect ending. Straight down... to hell.

Speaking of Coen Brothers esque, I was instantly reminded of the bone repairing scene after the car crash in No Country For Old Men when Malvo is trying to heal the open wound in his leg.