Bachman Turner Overdrive

BigBob

I've been listening to some BTO lately. I only know five songs by the boys, but they'e awesome.

"Let it Ride"

"TCB"

"Hey You"

"You aint seen nuttin yet"

"Roll on down the highway"

I love the raw and gruff power in their voices and guitar playing. I kind of think of them as "The Canadian ZZTop"

Want to know what are some albums or songs to look into. And if there are any fans of the band. Or if anybody's got any stories about them.

• Like 1

Back in the early seventies, I loved them.

:musicnote: And would you cry

If I told you that I lied

Would you say goodbye

Or would you let it ride :musicnote:

The album version of that song was the best.

I have no stories about them. What I remember is they kind of came and went, or so it seemed. Maybe they got lost in with the other up and coming bands of that time period.

I always enjoyed BTO's radio tunes back in the day. I like Lorraine am old enough to remember the regular airplay they got. Great catchy grooves and sing along lyrics and hard to stay still when they were on. I never investigated them any further. By the time I really got into music I dove straight into Rush, AC/DC etc around 1976...... :)
  • Like 2

Their third album, Not Fragile, is brilliant. IMO, it's their best studio album. The title track doesn't get the props that it deserves. It's one of their best songs. :ebert:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 3

Their third album, Not Fragile, is brilliant. IMO, it's their best studio album. The title track doesn't get the props that it deserves. It's one of their best songs. :ebert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-7bQ1SI3wk

That is the first BTO song I have ever heard besides the obvious ones. Its kind of weird because it reminded me so much of another Canadian band that came after. I have Moxy, Moxy II and Ridin' High and used to listen to them all the time back in the late 70's. They never had any commercial success but they must have been influenced by BTO some at least....

Randy was also in the big Canadian band Guess Who who were actually bigger than BTO. His son, Tal had a hit called "She's So High". Talented family

Did someone mention the Guess Who? :wub: How I loved them too. Almost saw them at the Fillmore in 1970. Tickets were bought. Then my friend and I had a bit of a disagreement, and that was that.

• Like 2

Randy was also in the big Canadian band Guess Who who were actually bigger than BTO. His son, Tal had a hit called "She's So High". Talented family

Did someone mention the Guess Who? :wub: How I loved them too. Almost saw them at the Fillmore in 1970. Tickets were bought. Then my friend and I had a bit of a disagreement, and that was that.

Ahh, no sugar tonight for you.

• Like 2

Ahh, no sugar tonight for you.

....in your coffee or your tea!!

• Like 1

I heard that song by Tal Bachman. Never new that was his son!

Someone told me that Randy Bachman was a huge influence on Neil Young. Like Young looked up to Bachman's guitar playing in high school. Does anyone know any truth to that?

I could never get my head around BTO. Also there were too many bands making a lot of music around that time and I was too busy listening to them.

The Guess Who... now that was a band.

• Like 1

Saw BTO a couple of times during their heyday. Good, fun live band. Never did see The Guess Who. My brother saw them when they reunited in the late 90s I believe. Said they were excellent. They played the Greek Theater in LA on that and if you've ever been to that venue you know it's a good one. It was a work night so I didn't go and I'm still sorry I didn't call in sick and do it.

Try the song "Gimme Your Money Please" off their first album. Always a favorite of mine.

Edited by driventotheedge

I could never get my head around BTO. Also there were too many bands making a lot of music around that time and I was too busy listening to them.

That was very easy to do back then because there were so many up and coming bands. That's why I never paid any attention to Rush in the seventies until I was compelled to by the excellence of Subdivisions.

I love the raw and gruff power in their voices and guitar playing. I kind of think of them as "The Canadian ZZTop"

I prefer to think of BTO as the Canadian Grand Funk Railroad.

They weren't as successful as their predecessor, The Guess Who, but they seemed a lot more honest. The Guess Who always sounded they were mimicking the styles of other popular bands. (IMO)

• Like 1

i listened to a bunch of their stuff about a week ago. IMO they have quite a bit of sub-par filler type songs on each album, not really a great flow start to finish (with the exception of "Not Fragile"). But they have some great, great songs with some MONSTER riffs, and not just the radio songs. They certainly do not get enough love for how hard they rocked in that '73-'75 era when North American hard rock was in it's infancy.

I prefer to think of BTO as the Canadian Grand Funk Railroad.

Haha, I love Grand Funk.

Reminds me of Homer Simpson's explanation of BTO:

"That's BTO, Canada's answer to ELP, with their hit song TCB. That's how we talked in the 70's, we didn't have a momement to spare."

And also his explanation of Grand Funk:

"You kids don't know Grand Funk? The wild shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner? The bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher? The competent drumwork of Don Brewer? Oh, man!"

• Like 3