Great Moments In Songs

Alvy Singer

Xanadu just came on and I love that part at about 4:11 where the echo/chorus/whatever kicks on and the guitar sound gets nice and big.

Also that single drum beat at 7:38!

Subdivisions- when Geddy hops on the bass at the start of the chorus

Lerxst in Wonderland.

Intro to Hemispheres. DUNNNN DUNNNN DUNDUNNNNNNN DUNNNNN

End of Nobody's Hero "NOBODY'S HEEEEEROOOOOOOOO"

Title track from Test For Echo. All of it.

Intro to Far Cry

Synth solo in Countdown

Guitar solos in Ceiling Unlimited and Between the Wheels

Drum solo at the end of Lock and Key

Final chorus of Marathon

And of course, The Grand Finale!

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ajfuf9W6B0

2:50-3:12, where Alex achieves some of the best tone and phrasing he's ever recorded.

I would extend that to 3:24.

Yeah, I was surprised and quite disappointed this song wasn't chosen for the CA tour, especially given some of the songs chosen instead.

• Like 1

Yeah countdown has some fantastic moments in it, captures the sheer bravery of space exploration perfectly, really brings a lump to the throat at times

Another for me like that is the end of the garden, particularly when bearing in mind while listening, that they could be the final moments of the last track of the last studio album this great great band laid down.

Like totally emotional. this band has meant so much to us.

• Like 1

Analog Kid : the synth / chorus section..."You move me, you move me...". The live version especially gives me chills :yes:

La Villa Strangiato : the build-up of Alex's solo. Amazing.

Cygnus X-1 : the last couple of minutes - where it just ROCKS OUT :haz:

Grand Designs : "Curves and lines....of GRAND DESIIIIIIIIIGNS...." - and Neil's tom run during that part.

Natural Science : the transition from the Tidal Pools section, into the Hyperspace section kicks ass.

• Like 1

Witch Hunt: Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice, and fear walk hand in haaaaaaaannnnnnnd. Then, into Geddy's bass outro with the signature synth riff beneath it. Chills......

The opening of TSOR on Permanent Waves, all these years later when you understand where the band was in their development.

Yes, every note of ATWAS, of course. The pure, raw, youthful energy that comes through in the recording.

Freewill (studio): Each of us, a CELL of awareness. (sung with a hint of that Geddy Lee wail from the past)

Freewill (live on Time Macine Tour): Geddy still going for it and nailing the note on the same line.

Hate to break it to ya, but on TMT Freewill, that note was edited in. He botched it live.

Way too many to count but I'll list the ones that come to mind.

Territories: Both the chorus (A whole wide world/An endless universe/Yet we keep looking through the eyeglass in reverse etc.) and the final verse (Better the pride that resides/In a citizen of the world/Than the kind that divides/When a colorful rag is unfurled) give me chills.

Lock and Key: Alex's solo and the really quiet section (It's not a matter of mercy/It's not a matter of laws/Plenty of people will kill you/For some fantatical cause etc.) are absolutely amazing. L&K imo is one of the most underrated song in Rush's discography.

Red Sector A: Geddy's Synth riff in the intro is just drenched in anger, probably the most angry I've ever heard a Rush song be. Fitting given the lyrical content.

YYZ: Dat riff. You know the one.

Cygnux X-1 The Voyage: Geddy's insanely high note at the end.

2112: Overture/Temples of Syrnix are amazing. Unfortunately, the rest of 2112 is kind of a letdown, imo but the first 6 minutes or so are still incredible.

The Pass: The chorus. Oh man that chorus.

Roll the Bones: Screw the haters, I really love the chorus as well as the We go out in the world and take our chances/Fate is just the weight of circumstances/That's the way that lady luck dances section!

Driven: The entire chorus. Driven really does make TfE a better album by default.

And of course the Perfect Sphere section of Hemispheres. I mean really, as far as I'm concerned, that's the ultimate defacto, perfect Rush moment.

• Like 1

2112: Overture/Temples of Syrnix are amazing. Unfortunately, the rest of 2112 is kind of a letdown, imo but the first 6 minutes or so are still incredible.

Yikes… I have to STRONGLY disagree with you on this one. I really like the 'Oracle: The Dream' section, but more emphatically, Alex's 'Soliloquy' solo is one of my 5 favorite solos for sure. How you can be a RUSH fan and not like that solo is beyond me, but you are certainly entitled to your own tastes and opinions. :huh: And continuing along, 'The Grand Finale' just flat out ROCKS as well.

(Disclaimer - I probably have at least 10-15 Top 5 favorite Alex solos :bump: )

• Like 2

Yikes… I have to STRONGLY disagree with you on this one. I really like the 'Oracle: The Dream' section, but more emphatically, Alex's 'Soliloquy' solo is one of my 5 favorite solos for sure. How you can be a RUSH fan and not like that solo is beyond me, but you are certainly entitled to your own tastes and opinions. :huh: And continuing along, 'The Grand Finale' just flat out ROCKS as well.

(Disclaimer - I probably have at least 10-15 Top 5 favorite Alex solos :bump: )

I mean letdown in comparison to the rest of the song. Nothing else matches the excitement that the first two sections build up to. That's not to say the rest of the song is bad, I'm not saying that at all. 2112 as a whole is still pretty enjoyable. it's just that you have a 20 minute song that essentially climaxes at the 6 minute mark. That's what makes the rest of the song a bit disappointing for me.

There a reason I consider Hemispheres Rush's best epic, it saves the best part for last.

Virtuality: intro riff

YYZ: ALL of it (especially in Rio and CA Tour)

Limelight: guitar solo

The Garden: ending (where the chorus is repeated)

La Villa Strangiato: Lerxst in Wonderland, Monsters!

Xanadu: ALL of it (especially ESL)

A Passage to Bangkok: Oriental riff and (of course) Lerxst solo

Freeze: opening bass riff

2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrix / Soliloquy / Grand Finale

Dreamline: "When we are young…wandering the face of the earth…" (especially CA Tour)

Moments that "get me", in chronologcal order:

The repeated chord right before the "main part" of Before and After

The electric kicking in on In The End on ATWAS

The arpeggiated main riff of Xanadu entering

Alex's La Villa solo (You know the one)

The first "wheels within wheels" part of Natural Science

Alex's entire solo in Limelight

The start as well as the end of the electric violin solo on Losing It

The synth break on Middletown Dreams

The outro solo on Mission

The bridge of Animate

The intro to The Garden

Edited by len(songs)

Edit: I seem to have already posted about this same part! So here's another: The guitar leading up to, and then the chorus of Headlong Flight. It's a slight build and then a release of intensity, so great! Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 1

The stretch of Natural Science from @ 7:38 to 7:53… leading into "Wave after wave will flow with the tide". Something about the tone and rhythm of those chords just really grabs me in a way only a Lerxst is capable of. Same goes for the stretch of Hemispheres from 2:38 to 2:58 right before the opening verse of vocals.
  • Like 3

I thought I was OK alone

Waiting for the postman and the telephone...

Hand Over Fist would likely be the heaviest and one of the best songs on Presto if not for that godawful chorus...

The chorus is slightly wimpy, but it grooves and it's catchy as hell