PDF File of All Rush Lyrics

Slack jaw gaze

The recent thread about lyrics made me think it would be nice to have a single PDF file of Rush lyrics, so I created one. Be careful printing. It's 189 pages.

There are hyperlinks to each album (click on the pictures of the album covers), and hyperlinks (or bookmarks) to each song (turn on the PDF bookmarks).

(MOD EDIT: Had to remove the link. Can't allow links to downloadable files containing copyrighted material.)

The link takes you to a Google Docs view of the file. There is a little down arrow under the File menu (may actually be in the File menu) where you can download the file.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 3

Here is a Windows Clockwork Angels gadget that I created a couple years ago, if anyone is interested. It is described in this post.

Windows gadget

You can just extract the Clockwork.gadget folder into C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets folder. AppData is a hidden folder, so you may have to choose Show hidden files and folders in Control Panel ->Folder Options ->View

• Like 1

Erm, copyright.

I wouldn't have that link here.

How about this one?

http://www.therushfo...rum/33-anthems/

The way I see it, the difference between Anthems and the PDF being offered here is that the PDF is a downloadable file, as opposed to posts on a forum page. Sure, one could copy/paste from those posts but we're not making the lyrics available for download.in the form of an actual file. A fine line? Sure it is, but that line has to be drawn somewhere.

We're going to have to remove the link to that file. Sorry about that, Slack Jaw. I didn't check out the PDF but I'm sure you put a lot of work into it.

A fine line? Sure it is, but that line has to be drawn somewhere.

I just imagined you as Picard :o

• Like 1

Erm, copyright.

How about this one?

The way I see it, the difference between Anthems and the PDF being offered here is that the PDF is a downloadable file, as opposed to posts on a forum page. Sure, one could copy/paste from those posts but we're not making the lyrics available for download.in the form of an actual file. A fine line? Sure it is, but that line has to be drawn somewhere.

Where do you think I got the lyrics?

Erm, copyright.

How about this one?

Where do you think I got the lyrics?

Read his post again.

• Like 1

I understand the post. I also understand (and agree with) the copyright concern. But I find it laughable that hosting copyrighted material would be considered somehow less risky than hosting a post that contained a link to the same material hosted elsewhere.

EDIT: Plus, isn't there a whole section of this site dedicated to bootlegs? I don't go in there so I don't know what goes on. That would seem to be an actual liability. Rush doesn't sell lyrics, they sell songs.

Edited by Slack jaw gaze

I understand the post. I also understand (and agree with) the copyright concern. But I find it laughable that hosting copyrighted material would be considered somehow less risky than hosting a post that contained a link to the same material hosted elsewhere.

EDIT: Plus, isn't there a whole section of this site dedicated to bootlegs? I don't go in there so I don't know what goes on. That would seem to be an actual liability. Rush doesn't sell lyrics, they sell songs.

I've already explained what we feel is the difference between the posts in Anthems and a downloadable file.

The bootlegs are another fine line, yes. Again, where is the line drawn? There is a difference between trading CDs that were recorded by fans at the shows and trading copies of, say, Moving Pictures, or the Clockwork Angels DVD. Maybe someone who is bootleg-savvy can explain it better than I can -- the mod who runs that forum, Midway Hawker, isn't around these days.

Yes, Rush sells songs, and the lyrics are part of those songs. Try writing and recording an original piece of music, then putting the lyrics from "Red Barchetta" to it (yet singing them with your own melodies), calling the song "The Red Car," then putting it up for sale on iTunes. It'd be the same as Coldplay stealing a melody from a Joe Satriani song and building a hit single out of it...

I know you're sour at all this because you put in a lot of work to make that PDF. I do feel bad that we had to remove the link, I really do.

I know you're sour at all this because you put in a lot of work to make that PDF. I do feel bad that we had to remove the link, I really do.

I'm not sour. You made me less liable (thank you). You didn't make the site less liable which is my point.

It's a 10 minute job to copy the lyrics (thanks to this site hosting them in easily copyable form). Sure, formatting them is a little more but it was just something I did for my own giggles. I figured I'd share it.

I guess posting a link to my database with lyrics, song trivia, and all 173 songs embedded is right out then.

I'm not sour. You made me less liable (thank you). You didn't make the site less liable which is my point.

It's a 10 minute job to copy the lyrics (thanks to this site hosting them in easily copyable form). Sure, formatting them is a little more but it was just something I did for my own giggles. I figured I'd share it.

I guess posting a link to my database with lyrics, song trivia, and all 173 songs embedded is right out then.

And one more thing. This board has been around for almost ten years. Rush and Anthem are well aware of us and what we do here -- we know that because they had us remove some items from the TRF Store that we used to have. If they had a problem with the lyrics or bootleg sections, believe me, we'd know it by now. There are things the band (and many other bands) put up with as long as certain lines aren't crossed -- that line is downloadable files of officially released content.

I do not think it is a big deal!! Give the guy a break he was just being nice.

slack jaw gaze I sent you a Pm

He's not been punished in any way. In these days of online copyright sensitivity it is just not worth risking for the sake of someone's hurt feelings.

• Like 1

I do not think it is a big deal!! Give the guy a break he was just being nice.

He's not been punished in any way. In these days of online copyright sensitivity it is just not worth risking for the sake of someone's hurt feelings.

robertrobyn, I acknowledged the work he put into making the PDF (which he downplayed), explained nicely our reasons for removing the file, and sincerely apologized for having to remove it. He chose to get a little snarky with me anyway, which I returned for one sentence. And no, Slack Jaw has not been punished in any way.

slack jaw gaze I sent you a Pm

I've always found that sort of post amusing -- it's the message board equivalent of whispering a secret in someone's ear in front of other people. ;)

• Like 2

Yes, Rush sells songs, and the lyrics are part of those songs. Try writing and recording an original piece of music, then putting the lyrics from "Red Barchetta" to it (yet singing them with your own melodies), calling the song "The Red Car," then putting it up for sale on iTunes. It'd be the same as Coldplay stealing a melody from a Joe Satriani song and building a hit single out of it...

It would be if I did any of that.

You've got me confused with someone with musical aptitude. Like these guys...

http://www.therushfo...02-vital-signs/