Lyrically, which album is Neil's VERY BEST work?

Thunder Bay Rush

I think that he was doing his best work in the mid to late 80's. Between the Wheels, Mission, and Presto for me are all highlights.If I had to say a specific album, I guess it might have to be Hold your Fire.

Although Vapor Trails is way up there with any of those as well. (See Signature)

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 2

Another vote for Hold Your Fire, here. What I would pick as second third, fourth, fifth are all extremely close, but Hold Your Fire more than any other.

Power Windows and Permanent Waves I think are his best.

So many tough subjects he tackled about in those albums.

Freewill, Manhatten Project, Natural Science and Marathon, are what I think his best lyics.

Freewill and Marathon were huge game changers in my life, and helped me turn around my life for better.

For me it's between Permanent Waves (mostly for TSOR and Natural Science) and Hold Your Fire (mostly for Time Stand Still, Prime Mover, and Turn the Page)

Prime Mover is fantastic. Really hoping to hear that song on R41.

For me it's between Permanent Waves (mostly for TSOR and Natural Science) and Hold Your Fire (mostly for Time Stand Still, Prime Mover, and Turn the Page)

Prime Mover is fantastic. Really hoping to hear that song on R41.

It's gotta happen, it's been far too long! And I bet Geddy could do a nice job vocally (Not to mention what he would do on the bass!) Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Each time we bathe our reactions...

In artificial light

Each time we alter the focus

....To make the wrong moves seem right

I believe this thread is over :)

(Sorta kiddin)

Vapor Trails has real highlights. Most of the PoW-RtB albums have a few songs with great lyrics, but they have some real stinkers, too. Overall, I'd go with Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. Clockwork Angels gets in the top 5 for me as well.

Somebody has to vote for Snakes and Arrows. Might as well be the resident atheist.

Snakes and Arrows is very high on the list for me. Thematically speaking, I can say that it's my favorite Rush album. But I think the first half of the album is much stronger and more memorable than the second.

Somebody has to vote for Snakes and Arrows. Might as well be the resident atheist.

Dang, I thought I was the resident atheist...(I even have the scarlet "A" tattooed on my back) I really love that album.

Hold Your Fire wins for me with Vapor Trails and Presto also being strong contenders in that department. I think Neil is in his element as a lyric writer the most when he's being more introspective and personal which I don't think he had the confidence to really do until Hold Your Fire. A lot of his lyrics pre Permanent Waves don't do a lot for me - they just feel a bit too cold and impersonal for my liking and are often hard to relate to. I think it's kind of a shame that he's known best for writing sci-fi style lyrics when actually his strongest work imo tends to be on the other end of the scale.
  • Like 5

For story telling: A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres

For his personal thoughts: Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure (seriously, listen to Emotion Detector and Between The Wheels a few times; those are pretty profound)

I loved his work on "The Pass" it really hit home to me but those lyric....muah! Perfection!!!!!
  • Like 2

The ones that resonate with me the most are Clockwork Angels, Vapor Trails, Power Windows, and Grace Under Pressure.

Moving Pictures. Witch Hunt alone does it for me. It contains my favorite line from any Rush song and we should all know what that is.... :)

In case you're waiting for someone to ask…. which line is it?

My first guess - "That those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves"

My second guess - "Ignorance and prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand"

I hope they aren't both wrong!

• Like 1

Moving Pictures. Witch Hunt alone does it for me. It contains my favorite line from any Rush song and we should all know what that is.... :)

My first guess - "That those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves"

They are both great but your first guess would be the correct one. The second is great as well...... :) :cheers:
  • Like 1

They are both great but your first guess would be the correct one. The second is great as well...... :) :cheers:

Well I'm glad I had it correct! It is truly a great song indeed, (lyrics and music!) Personally, my favorite song, lyrically speaking, from MP is Vital Signs, but Witch Hunt is surely a great one as well.