Cheap Trick (Motley Crue)

3 (Porcupine Tree)

Bigelf (Porcupine Tree)

Alice Cooper (Iron Maiden)

Eric Steckyl Band (Blue Oyster Cult)

The Treatment (Kiss / Motley Crue)

The best: Max Webster, opening for Rush

Greg Kihn Band (opening for Journey) was better than Journey IMO

Faith Hill (OK, I went because of my wife, opening for Tim McGraw) was awful.

Donovan (technically not opening, he played while John Mellencamp took a break) was not much better. I think he's in the RRHOF though.

Tim Mahoney (local to the Twin Cities) was enjoyable when he opened for Three Doors Down.

And that's all the experience I have with opening acts.

I saw REM open up for The Police at the Capital Centre (outside DC, Narp knows it), on the Synchronicity tour. Hadn't heard of them before that but got a copy of Murmur and became a big fan. The albums that followed -- Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, etc. -- are classics. It's easy to forget today how good they were then.

On that tour we had the Thompson Twins and the Fixx as the openers.

I think I saw Cinderella open for AC/DC in Spokane, and Queensryche open for David Lee Roth. Could be the other way around. Queensryche was pretty good as I recall.

Donovan (technically not opening, he played while John Mellencamp took a break) was not much better. I think he's in the RRHOF though.

Tim Mahoney (local to the Twin Cities) was enjoyable when he opened for Three Doors Down.

not a big concert goer?

Paramore was probably my favorite opening band that I have seen. I do not like the direction they have taken the band recently.

SAME!!!!! I love old Paramore stuff. Their new stuff is so underwhelming and blah. >:/

not a big concert goer?

Nah not so much. And some of them had no opening acts. About 10 in 34 years in total, four of which were Rush, 3 with no opener.

not a big concert goer?

Nah not so much. And some of them had no opening acts. About 10 in 34 years in total, four of which were Rush, 3 with no opener.

that's insane! and here I was thinking because of your age and bands you'd mentioned, you'd probably seen husker du, metallica with cliff, all sorts of good shit!

The Iron Maiden Judas Priest one was good (although they billed it aas a "double bill" show and were apparently swiching who opened...but yeah, that was a great show!

Saw Rainbow with Scorpions and Riot, which was cool since it wasn't TOO long after the Castle Donnington album came out with those bands on it (Album was 1980, show I saw was 82, but still listened to that album a LOT)

Went to see Def Leppard in 1983, Gary Moore and Krokus opened, but what was cool about Gary Moore was that Ian Paice was drumming for him which was an amazing thing to behold!

Got to see ELP open for Jethro Tull, I THINK it was the year after Keith Emerson had shoulder or arm surgery and was getting back his stamina to play full shows, but that was a cool treat!

One of the most messed up bands I ever saw was Star People open for Blue Floyd....these guys were SERIOUS prog, but had an "act" they were from another planet, and the lead singer was mimicing Sinatra orr something... Great music, but weird!

Nearly every support act I've seen has been utter bollocks, with a few notable exceptions.

Trembling Bells opened for The Unthanks, magnificent.

Saxon opening for Judas Priest. Heaven.

Built to Spill for Dinosaur Jr., BTS blew Dinosaur Jr. off the stage.

Surprised no one has mentioned Primus opening for Rush - the only one I really liked. Candlebox was decent.

Seen a lot of openers that I liked at the smaller club type shows. Don't remember their names and most likely didn't know the name of the band at the time they were playing.

Not going to include any festival-style shows as they wouldn't be considered openers, but here goes:

Cheap Trick opening for Robert Plant

Rusted Root opening for Page/Plant

Rose Hill Drive opening for Govt Mule (saw them again opening for Stone Temple Pilots)

Tea Leaf Green opening for Govt Mule

Govt Mule opening for The Black Crowes

Traffic opening for The Grateful Dead

I saw REM open up for The Police at the Capital Centre (outside DC, Narp knows it), on the Synchronicity tour. Hadn't heard of them before that but got a copy of Murmur and became a big fan. The albums that followed -- Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, etc. -- are classics. It's easy to forget today how good they were then.

Godforsaken Landover.... :cheers: :)

It sucked but it was all we had or knew.....

10177288_619353424811914_607461046_n.jpg