Drop The Drum Solo

BasqueNYC

nothing wrong with stating your opinion. I actually liked the "broken down into 3" deal from the last tour.

The one negative thing about dropping the solo is that it's the one thing that EVERYONE in the crowd really enjoys. Back when I was 22 (Presto tour), I made the mistake that a lot of testosterone driven males make: I took my girlfriend to a Rush show. Well, she didn't like it - BUT she did like the drum solo.

Fast forward 24 years. I'm now married. My wife (not the girlfriend I mentioned above) would NEVER go to a Rush show. She just don't like 'em. However anytime I have a concert DVD in the player - she confesses that the drum solo is really fun to watch.

Yeah - an extra two songs would be nice.

Clem

I don't think everyone in the crowd enjoys it. I think it bores the bejesus out of the casuals. Even when I'm up close to the band, he gets people politely looking on. I'm not saying that people don't love it, but it gets less of a reaction during the song than virtually anything else they do. And while the bathrooms and bear lines don't go crazy, they seem busier during the solo than during anything that isn't Territories.

Interesting. If anything, it seems the solo is one of the highlights that most people go nuts for.

nothing wrong with stating your opinion. I actually liked the "broken down into 3" deal from the last tour.

The one negative thing about dropping the solo is that it's the one thing that EVERYONE in the crowd really enjoys. Back when I was 22 (Presto tour), I made the mistake that a lot of testosterone driven males make: I took my girlfriend to a Rush show. Well, she didn't like it - BUT she did like the drum solo.

Fast forward 24 years. I'm now married. My wife (not the girlfriend I mentioned above) would NEVER go to a Rush show. She just don't like 'em. However anytime I have a concert DVD in the player - she confesses that the drum solo is really fun to watch.

Clem

I don't think everyone in the crowd enjoys it. I think it bores the bejesus out of the casuals. Even when I'm up close to the band, he gets people politely looking on. I'm not saying that people don't love it, but it gets less of a reaction during the song than virtually anything else they do. And while the bathrooms and bear lines don't go crazy, they seem busier during the solo than during anything that isn't Territories.

What's a bear line. Like Teddy Bears? Or are you talking about the one time they toured and had a "get your picture taken with a real Canadian bear" kiosk? Oh the humanity....
  • Like 2

The last great drum solo for me was on the R30 tour. Then it seemed to change just for the sake of change alone. On the latest tour I only liked the fast bit in the middle of Headlong Flight. I think I like them better on film where you can actually see what he is doing. R30 was filmed so well during the solo and I could finally catch all the details. Neil's solo DVDs break it down even better and I know some folks find them boring, but I love how he explains it all.

The solo isn't going anywhere so I'll just hope for more cowbell on the next one.

Next stop, Drop The Solos. Who needs them. That's not what this band is about, anyway. It gets people politely looking on. I'm saying that people don't love it! Geddy should be in an easy chair sipping wine and reading Baseball Digest, Alex in front of an Easy Bake Oven baking cupcakes while smoking out of a hookah and Neil center stage, cross country skiing in place. Tethered, so he can occassionally fall on his butt. All the while, Gilligan's Island is playing on the screen.
  • Like 1

Clem

What's a bear line. Like Teddy Bears? Or are you talking about the one time they toured and had a "get your picture taken with a real Canadian bear" kiosk? Oh the humanity....

You are SUCH an INTJ....

Clem

You are SUCH an INTJ....

I am not - I took the test 3 times and got the same thing! I forget which... whichever one is Leia

TBH, if he lost the African hat I'd really have no complaints.

Yeah, apparently the hat is one worn in parts of Africa by men to indicate that they're Muslim.

Neil? Seriously, please stop that. You're not doing the band any favors if you all get in trouble.

Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes

Yeah, apparently the hat is one worn in parts of Africa by men to indicate that they're Muslim.

Neil? Seriously, please stop that. You're not doing the band any favors if you all get in trouble.

He wears that to try to show music critics that he's not a heavy metal drummer, it's supposed to say: "hey look I'm an aloof high tech new wave drummer, look how I'm wearing this reggae hat, and we did a little reggae on Vital Signs, see I'm not a heavy metal maniac after all!"

Clem

You are SUCH an INTJ....

I am not - I took the test 3 times and got the same thing! I forget which... whichever one is Leia

ENTJ...like me! Supposedly, we like bears. A lot.

• Like 1

He wears that to try to show music critics that he's not a heavy metal drummer, it's supposed to say: "hey look I'm an aloof high tech new wave drummer, look how I'm wearing this reggae hat, and we did a little reggae on Vital Signs, see I'm not a heavy metal maniac after all!"

Or to minimize the amount of sweat that gets in his eyes.

I feel bad for this thread. It was started with a good premise and then got lost in all the other threads....

now it's just a drop in the bucket.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/241/6/f/poop_bucket_by_ember_snow-d2xipm8.jpg

I feel bad for this thread. It was started with a good premise and then got lost in all the other threads....

now it's just a drop in the bucket.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/241/6/f/poop_bucket_by_ember_snow-d2xipm8.jpg

HEY! That's MY thread! http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/87202-drop-a-deuce-next-tour/