Supertramp

gudbuytjane

Who's a fan? I'm going through a bit of a Supertramp moment lately. Crime of the Century through Breakfast In America are four pretty solid albums. I like them when they're weirder/less-poppy/more-crossover-proggy, but I do have to admit they wrote some pretty catchy singles, too.

(Ha, the only original, studio version of "Fool's Overture" I could find on YouTube is on this kayaking video. Someone's copyright lawyer is working overtime with the DOMA takedowns!)

If you're new to the band I'd say start with Crime of the Century and go from there.

• Like 4

I became a fan when their greatest hits Autobiography came out - by then I think Roger had left already. They came to Rio in ´88, but by then I was only 14 years old and lived in a small city four hours away from Rio, so I didn´t see them. It´s such a shame that they can´t get along with Roger anymore, I´d still pay to see them (or Roger, for that matter) if they came around.
  • Like 1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-02lWLfWGZP0/UOm1dmcsucI/AAAAAAAACyQ/ZJ532F4wjxk/s200/supertramp-supertramp1970.jpg

Love 'em. The debut is great!

• Like 1

Supertramp is one of those bands when they come on the radio I always turn it up and never off! I have always loved the music ♥
  • Like 2

Love listening to Supertramp. One of my favourite non-Rush concerts was Supertramp, Breakfast in America tour. A hot August evening in an outdoor stadium with mountains in the background behind the stage. From the haunting opening notes of School to the finale of Crime of the Century, a truly great show. Even years later I love to sit on the deck on a warm summer evening, drink in my hand, and Supertramp on the stereo.
  • Like 5

I remember "borrowing" my sister's Breakfast in America cassette tape quite often as a kid...Most of my friends have never even heard of Supertramp. Love 'em.
  • Like 3

My buddy in high school was a big fan of their first album... great band and ahead of their time, back in 1971.

supertramp even in the quietest moments - LOVE THE SONG

• Like 4

Had to search for and bump this thread.

This morning when I went into the store to buy our Sunday supply of bacon, Take The Long Way Home came on the radio. I haven't heard the song in decades as I no longer have the album. Funny how a song can take you back, and that's where it took me. I remembered immediately where I was and what I was doing the very first time I heard the song. I was stopped for a red light on my way home (:)). All of a sudden, this harmonica comes wailing from my car stereo. I always loved harmonicas in songs (i.e. Neil Young). I immediately loved the song.

Anyway, this morning I almost burst into tears at the checkout counter. The lyrics just ripped me apart inside for some reason, so apt they were to how I presently feel.

Just wanted to share this with any Supertramp lovers here! :cheers:

• Like 7

This morning when I went into the store to buy our Sunday supply of bacon, Take The Long Way Home came on the radio. I haven't heard the song in decades as I no longer have the album. Funny how a song can take you back, and that's where it took me. I remembered immediately where I was and what I was doing the very first time I heard the song. I was stopped for a red light on my way home ( :)). All of a sudden, this harmonica comes wailing from my car stereo. I always loved harmonicas in songs (i.e. Neil Young). I immediately loved the song.

Anyway, this morning I almost burst into tears at the checkout counter. The lyrics just ripped me apart inside for some reason, so apt they were to how I presently feel.

Thanks for sharing that! It's amazing how songs can transport you back years or even decades. :)

• Like 2

This morning when I went into the store to buy our Sunday supply of bacon, Take The Long Way Home came on the radio. I haven't heard the song in decades as I no longer have the album. Funny how a song can take you back, and that's where it took me. I remembered immediately where I was and what I was doing the very first time I heard the song. I was stopped for a red light on my way home ( :)). All of a sudden, this harmonica comes wailing from my car stereo. I always loved harmonicas in songs (i.e. Neil Young). I immediately loved the song.

Thanks for sharing that! It's amazing how songs can transport you back years or even decades. :)

Isn't it? I have been wondering what it was about the song that I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I first heard it. There have been a few of those in my life - Court of the Crimson King is one - Beat Crazy is another.

Music and how it affects us is a very mysterious thing.

Loved all of their albums up to Famous Last Words,and Paris ( Which is one of the best live albums around!),and then that was it! Same time that Hodgson and Davies had there falling out! Still play the albums on a regular basis!
  • Like 2