Under the Pink...Tori Amos Fan Thread

Ya_Big_Tree

Yes, she's an all-time favorite of mine. Very much looking forward to her new album (May).

Post-Pele I'd recommend From The Choirgirl Hotel (1998 and my favorite album of hers) and Scarlet's Walk from 2001. Excellent records in my opinion. I'm also very fond of her 2009 album Abnormally Attracted To Sin. I think the weirdness of things like Blood Roses and the like have been toned down...(she also kicked coke, so there's that). She also did an album that was very piano and string based called Night Of Hunters (her most recent studio record of original material - 2011) where she took lesser known classical pieces as inspirations and turned them into quasi-original compositions. It's very much a back-to-acoustic roots for her, even though it's a themed record....(and distributed as a classical album as well). No pop songs there, though, but some amazing playing and vocals.

The beautiful thing about Tori is that she's always worth checking out because even with some filler, the good stuff that resides on every album is always worth it...(and never easier to pick and choose than in this day and age).

:hi:

Great posting! I totally agree Choirgirl Hotel is a great choice for someone to hear a lil more range of her music other than the heavy piano that Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink are... which are my 2 faves BTW. I am SOOOO excited for the new album and I hope I finally get to see her on tour this time. I would love to see her pounding on the keys of 2 pianos at the same time in her very sexual allure. She is amazing and I hope this helps get more people (not just women) into her music.

:)

Great to see more Tori fans on the board. :D

Good luck seeing her on tour, I was so lucky to see her down here on the Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink shows (92 and 94) and have nothing but great memories. Both shows you could hear a pin drop it was so intimate, just the way a Tori concert should be. I also managed to snag a signed 8 x10 from the record company back then! :) I'm not too struck on the last few albums but I'm well aware with her it can take some time :pussy:

Edited by Steevo

Yes, she's an all-time favorite of mine. Very much looking forward to her new album (May).

Post-Pele I'd recommend From The Choirgirl Hotel (1998 and my favorite album of hers) and Scarlet's Walk from 2001. Excellent records in my opinion. I'm also very fond of her 2009 album Abnormally Attracted To Sin. I think the weirdness of things like Blood Roses and the like have been toned down...(she also kicked coke, so there's that). She also did an album that was very piano and string based called Night Of Hunters (her most recent studio record of original material - 2011) where she took lesser known classical pieces as inspirations and turned them into quasi-original compositions. It's very much a back-to-acoustic roots for her, even though it's a themed record....(and distributed as a classical album as well). No pop songs there, though, but some amazing playing and vocals.

The beautiful thing about Tori is that she's always worth checking out because even with some filler, the good stuff that resides on every album is always worth it...(and never easier to pick and choose than in this day and age).

Great posting! I totally agree Choirgirl Hotel is a great choice for someone to hear a lil more range of her music other than the heavy piano that Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink are... which are my 2 faves BTW. I am SOOOO excited for the new album and I hope I finally get to see her on tour this time. I would love to see her pounding on the keys of 2 pianos at the same time in her very sexual allure. She is amazing and I hope this helps get more people (not just women) into her music.

Good luck seeing her on tour, I was so lucky to see her down here on the Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink shows (92 and 94) and have nothing but great memories. Both shows you could hear a pin drop it was so intimate, just the way a Tori concert should be. I also managed to snag a signed 8 x10 from the record company back then! :) I'm not too struck on the last few albums but I'm well aware with her it can take some time :pussy:

I have a bootleg with her berating members of the audience for having a conversation in between songs. Funny stuff.

I have a bootleg with her berating members of the audience for having a conversation in between songs. Funny stuff.

Right. The respect from her audience has totally changed from when she started out. That's why I say I was extremely lucky to catch her when I did.

:bump:

I don't wanna see this thread sink so fast!! :boohoo: Does anyone have the Original Bootlegs box? I'm kinda regretting not picking it up at the time as they're so expensive now. The few vinyls available would be nice as well :hail:

I didn't pick it up, but I did buy the digital copies of the songs I didn't have prior.

Oh and the new album drops a week from today (13th)....and all the songs have 90 second previews on iTunes for those interested. Saw her set list for Ireland. Fantastic, although she probably changes it by what...50% or better per show?

• Like 1

I didn't pick it up, but I did buy the digital copies of the songs I didn't have prior.

Oh and the new album drops a week from today (13th)....and all the songs have 90 second previews on iTunes for those interested. Saw her set list for Ireland. Fantastic, although she probably changes it by what...50% or better per show?

Downloads would make more sense as the packaging was minimal. Excellent, thanks for the news on that album!

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1

Oysters is a great song.

But what did you think of that performance Presto??? As no one else seems interested, surprise surprise! :rage:

Yep, let me know your highlights when you've given it enough time. Have you ordered your copy yet? I won't be long I'm sure :D-13:

I like Tori Amos. We got the idea to name our first daughter Tori because of Tori Amos. :)
  • Like 1

Oysters is a great song.

But what did you think of that performance Presto??? As no one else seems interested, surprise surprise! :rage:

Yep, let me know your highlights when you've given it enough time. Have you ordered your copy yet? I won't be long I'm sure :D-13:

Unfortunately I'm not in a Tori mood right now, otherwise I'd be all over this. When the stars shift again, I'll go back to her like I've always done before.

Oysters is a great song.

Unfortunately I'm not in a Tori mood right now, otherwise I'd be all over this. When the stars shift again, I'll go back to her like I've always done before.

:hi: She's really come back with a strength here (I just know it) and I'm all primed and ready to...well you know :NP:

• Like 1

I've streamed the album twice and it's quite good in my book. Don't know it well enough to consider ranking it, but it seems to have far less filler than most of her outings since Scarlet's Walk. I've heard one (of three) bonus tracks too and it's better than about half the album...! Will be picking those up on iTunes.
  • Like 1

Just listened to Boys for Pele today for the first time. The instrumentation was really cool, especially the harpsichord/harmonium, and all the songs were pretty good with no real low points. However, it was not as immediately impressive as Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, and From the Choirgirl Hotel (the other three albums of hers that I have) were. I can definitely see it growing on me with further listens though.

I think now that I've heard her first four albums, I'm going to work my way through the rest of her discography chronologically, starting with To Venus and Back. Really enjoying what I've been hearing from Amos, and she's quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ
  • Like 1

Ok, here I go... my personal favourite TORI AMOS BEST 10 SONGS

1. Doughnut Song

Absolutely the reason Tori is on this planet. This song conforted my soul many times over. I'm still not completely sure what it is about, but with Tori you can take the song and turn it into your own.

2. Muhammad my friend

Another striking, just incredible song. I love the image behind "We both know it was a girl back in Betlehem".

3. Spark

Matt Chamberlin turns this song into a metal! barrage, but still the most powerful thing is the verse "She couldn't keep baby alive"

4. Yes Anastasia

It was the dark, leaden days of winter of my first job in the ultra-sucky city of Milan. This suite kept me going.

5. Crucify

I bought Little Earthquakes after seeing the video for Silent all these years. I love almost every song on that album.

6. Another girl's Paradise

Tori's mastery of vocal harmonies and counterpoints shines in my favourite song off Scarlet's walk. Which was the end of the road for me. Last Tori album I got. I tried again with American Doll Posse which was... not so good. I probably didn't need her anymore.

7. Raining Blood

Tori turns Slayer into a proto-feminist, mother-deity tribal chant. Even more terrifying than the original.

8. Cornflake Girl

The thing I love most about this song is the piano solos. I used to play air piano to this one a lot.

9. Take to the Sky

It's raw and naive, but I still love this early song.

10. Happy Phantom

As I said, it's so hard to pick a song from Little Earthquakes, so I'll take this little gem about Judy Garland taking Buddah by the hand.

Good list. It would be stupid for me to even try, but among my favorites are:

Northern Lad

Hey Jupiter (Dakota version, if you care to track that down)

Marianne

Gold Dust

Bells For Her

Little Earthquakes (title track)

Pancake

Song For Eric

Spark

Twinkle

...and too many more to list. Very few songs of hers that I loathe, although there are a couple. Most of them I really like and probably half of them I outright adore. Completely biased fanboy.

• Like 1