Double Agent

lifeson90

Just had a proper listen to the great album this track's off, first real play for years to be honest.

THIS is what i want more of from Rush now, their fantasy imaginations pushed to the limit and just let go no holds barred.

The latest two or three albums, although obviously brilliant, i still believe show a level of mature restraint.

Have a loud play of Double Agent, every aspect of the track is loose and totally free, neils lyrics in counterparts in general are superb, less based in reality full of imagination and i want those back too.

Counterparts, what a great great album, go back there guys pump it up again forget all the adult realism shit and get funkyy

• Like 7

I must say I agree with you! Counterparts is a awesome album, and I have been listening to it more and more lately!

I enjoy the lyrics and the sound on it is really nice! My favorite song is Cold Fire!

• Like 1

bfjvg;dgr;jvr/ldz;gsifdgsfmds;lgkdlgdsmvlfd;s

Sorry, I just threw up on my computer and had to clean it.

Counterparts > RTB

Is RTB the PacMan and CP the little, shitty tasting white pellet? Then, I agree.

Counterparts > RTB

Is RTB the PacMan and CP the little, shitty tasting white pellet? Then, I agree.

RTB - worst rush album

I know you like to rag on CP lyrics, and there is some merit there. But Ghost of a chance lyrics? RTB rap? come on bro

• Like 1

Counterparts > RTB

RTB - worst rush album

I know you like to rag on CP lyrics, and there is some merit there. But Ghost of a chance lyrics? RTB rap? come on bro

Ghost of a Chance lyrics are better than virtually all the lyrics on CP, which are the band's worst. The RTB rap is light-hearted fun. I understand why people don't like it, but I view it the same way as I Think I'm Going Bald and Bangkok. The problem with the atrociously bad Double Agent is that he seems to be serious...there's no irony there. He's wound up so tight....SO TIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!!

I think Double Agent is a fantastic song. It's different from most of their other stuff, but in a different way. I'm very happy they didn't make an entire album in that style, but for one song it's great.

Counterparts as a whole isn't bad. There are some halfway decent songs on it, and I'd say the album was definitely in my top 10 or 15 Rush albums :coy:

I like Double Agent too but hated the way they did it live, where the non-chorus parts were a backing tape. Sounded weird and I think they shouldn't have done the song at all if that's how they were going to do it.

Counterparts > RTB

RTB - worst rush album

Ghost of a Chance lyrics are better than virtually all the lyrics on CP, which are the band's worst. The RTB rap is light-hearted fun. I understand why people don't like it, but I view it the same way as I Think I'm Going Bald and Bangkok. The problem with the atrociously bad Double Agent is that he seems to be serious...there's no irony there. He's wound up so tight....SO TIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!!

Ghost of a chance lyrics would fit in perfect on CP, all the weird relationship stuff

I really like all of Conterparts, but Double Agent is one of my favorites - just super heavy. My other favorites - Cut to the Chase, Between Sun and Moon, Everyday Glory and Animate. The only skipper for me is Speed of Love.

I've always loved this song. It has a very different feel and song structure to it which I think helps it to be one of the standout songs on the album. It has a great main riff and I love Neil's drumming during the "wilderness or mirrors" part. I'm a big fan of the lyrics to. I don't really have a clue what the song is about but the words paint a nice picture and like the OP said, are very good fantasy style lyrics.

As for Counterparts, for a long time it was my favorite album from them since it was the album that came out at the time I was getting into the band. I wouldn't consider it my favorite now but it still holds a special place for me since it was the first new Rush release I got as a fan. I still enjoy the album very much and still rank it pretty high on the list.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Ooh, 'Double Agent'! Such a weird, awesome, vibey song. I like so much about it, from the bare bass-and-vocals opening to the change in feel switching from verse to chorus (or, rather, between the different parts, as I guess the spoken parts could be called the verses), and the lyrics - they're quite visual. Counterparts is one of the very first full albums I ever listened to, and some of 'Double Agent's lyrics really struck my 11-year-old self then... especially 'Wilderness of mirrors'. Great visual lyricism. And... as someone that is enamoured of Geddy's voice... I get a little treat with the spoken parts, with his pleasant-sounding voice in a deeper register than we usually hear. :wub:

I also like that on the Counterparts tour, this song was introduced as being 'demented'. I like that it's different from what is 'normal' even by Rush standards!

I like Double Agent but would never want to hear it live after watching that View From The Palace from the Counterparts Tour. Not a "live" song. I like Double Agent because, being a guitar player, it's fun as hell to jam to, and it's more of a jam than it is a "song", which seems to piss a lot of people off.

I don't really have a clue what the song is about but the words paint a nice picture and like the OP said, are very good fantasy style lyrics.

Here's a hint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Sorry but I'm not so sure if Double Agent is about Sleep Paralysis.

Like many of Neil's lyrics, Double Agent's lyrics are ambiguous and open to interpretation. Every song has different meanings to different people and I think Neil is good with that

In the simplest terms, it's about the choices we all have in life. good vs. evil, darkness vs. light, God vs. the devil, sin vs. saint, going down the dark path or the righteous path. A Double Agent being the duality of man,

And for what it's worth this is by far my favorite Rush song! Alex's guitar riff is the sickest riff in the history of riffs. The song is dark and demented. Neil's drumming is perfect. It's just Rush at their greatest

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

Agreed Counterparts was the tits!!! I went nuts when I was at the Virgin store (or was it coconuts) back in October 93 at the midnight release (remember when they did that? So much hanging with fans gettin excited until 12:00am hit and buying it on Vinyl and CD and hearing Animate than slamming into the badass Stick It Out,then on to the killer which should be played live Cut To The Chase,beautiful Nobody's Hero,Between Sun & Moon (very underrated) Alien Shore & Speed Of Love (another song I'd love to hear live), the eerie Double Agent and great live,sweet instrumental Leave That Thing Alone" (although I do prefer "where's My Thing" more),the ripping Cold Fire another fav that should be considered to be brought back and finally the personal (to me at least) about child abuse Everday Glory

The album is just perfection and way better than "T4E" I think Rush and Peter Collins slacked a bit there with "Limbo",Dog Years,Crave Away The Stone",Time And Motion" not crap songs but just seems like there a bit off like more could've been done,still a great album but when I heard VT years later it blew T4E out of the water and my mind.But hey there isn't a bad or shit Rush album I enjoy them all just ones like "PoW,HYF,T4E,S&A seem to not get played as much on my daily subway rides to work everyday or at home or when I'm in plane traveling

To me Counterparts was their return to being RUSH! After GuP, I think the next several albums were pretty lame! RtB is one album I really can't listen to very much. The only song I really like is Dreamline! (Bravado is OK...but after that I really don'tlike the album)

Agreed Counterparts was the tits!!! I went nuts when I was at the Virgin store (or was it coconuts) back in October 93 at the midnight release (remember when they did that? So much hanging with fans gettin excited until 12:00am hit and buying it on Vinyl and CD and hearing Animate than slamming into the badass Stick It Out,then on to the killer which should be played live Cut To The Chase,beautiful Nobody's Hero,Between Sun & Moon (very underrated) Alien Shore & Speed Of Love (another song I'd love to hear live), the eerie Double Agent and great live,sweet instrumental Leave That Thing Alone" (although I do prefer "where's My Thing" more),the ripping Cold Fire another fav that should be considered to be brought back and finally the personal (to me at least) about child abuse Everday Glory

The album is just perfection and way better than "T4E" I think Rush and Peter Collins slacked a bit there with "Limbo",Dog Years,Crave Away The Stone",Time And Motion" not crap songs but just seems like there a bit off like more could've been done,still a great album but when I heard VT years later it blew T4E out of the water and my mind.But hey there isn't a bad or shit Rush album I enjoy them all just ones like "PoW,HYF,T4E,S&A seem to not get played as much on my daily subway rides to work everyday or at home or when I'm in plane traveling

I don't think that Everyday Glory is about child abuse, more about how the good deeds you do for your fellow man every day are more important than you may realize Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

I don't think that Everyday Glory is about child abuse, more about how the good deeds you do for your fellow man every day are more important than you may realize

I remember when K-ROCK radio station had the premier of "Counterparts" with Geddy Talking about the songs they played 3 songs "Between Sun And Moon" ,Cold Fire" and "Everyday Glory" where he mentioned how Neil was addressing child abuse and a sorta a "seize the day vibe" to it,so actually we are both right lol if your ever in NYC come to my bar I'll buy you a beer...DRINK IT!

• Like 1