Want to know what I really like about Presto?

D3strukt

Anyway, let's get back to the guy who did some EQing and other possible tweaks to Presto and thinks that that means he remixed it.

and I can see your angry prick

Sorry...I didn't know my fly was unzipped.

Fixed (not that it needed it) some and funny as hell anyway..... Thanks guys. Needed that one.... :LMAO: x 100
  • Like 1

Do you remember the tale from Alex when they played full presto album to Paul stanley and he didint get it?

I would wet my pants if RUSH plays full presto just for me!

Cry, dance,pee and fly

I believe that Caress of Steel, not Presto.

• Like 2

Do you remember the tale from Alex when they played full presto album to Paul stanley and he didint get it?

I would wet my pants if RUSH plays full presto just for me!

Cry, dance,pee and fly

I believe that Caress of Steel, not Presto.

definitely Caress Of Steel.

Well, I happen to really like Presto. It was the cassette tape that I pilfered from my older sister back in 1990 after she was done playing it over and over again... It was what introduced me to Rush as I listened to it on my Walkman walking to and from elementary school. (Yes, I've given away my age.) So while my friends we into crap like New Kids on the Block, I was turning into a lifelong Rush fan.
  • Like 1

Well, I happen to really like Presto. It was the cassette tape that I pilfered from my older sister back in 1990 after she was done playing it over and over again... It was what introduced me to Rush as I listened to it on my Walkman walking to and from elementary school. (Yes, I've given away my age.) So while my friends we into crap like New Kids on the Block, I was turning into a lifelong Rush fan.

Bravo to you for that!

I was a junior in high school when Presto was released, and even though I'd been listening to them since I was a wee little one, the Presto tour was the first time I saw them live. Great memories. :)

• Like 1

Here's what I really think about Pissto:

1. "Show Don't Tell" Best song on the album; tricks you into thinking the rest will be good...Rush did that for a while; they'd put the best song early on and you'd be astounded by how bad and seemingly unrelated some of the other crap on the album was. A beacon of light after the last few songs off Hold Your Fire when THAT album lost steam. Bass solo! Jazz bass (at least in the video)!!! Catchy! Less keyboards!!! What could go wrong? Hey, this album might be good!!! But, don't get them hopes up just yet...reality sets in quite quickly on ole' Pissto...

2. "Chain Lightning" OK song...those damn sun dogs! Good 2nd song. The "That's Nice" part is stupid. Geddy's "bram bram bram" or whatever the hell is fun.

3. "The Ass" Actually this is alright; I don't get why some people hate it so much...at least it's catchy. Well-written concise little song. Could be a LOT worse...just keep listening!

4. "Whore Taint" My GOD does this song epitomize what was WRONG with Rush then...Casio sounding horrid keys, lameness on a grand scale, staccato "singing," enough reverb to fill a stadium. After the first three, you give this one a pass (no pun intended!) thinking the next song will be a little better...and it is.

5. "Scars" Not horrible; Geddy was still trying to write a Tears for Fears song here...kinda catchy, not nearly as cringe inducing as it could have been...just wait for the 2nd half of the album!

6. "Pissto" If I could wave my magic wand, I'd p*ss all over this sh*t song. When I first had this on cassette in 1989, THIS is the point I would turn the tape off. The death-knell of the album.

7. "Poopy-cum-dick'd-'er" Ah, the hate for this song is legendary; truth is, it's cheezy, but kinda GOOD cheezy. Not that the song IS good, but at least it's catchy and hooky. The last gleam of hope from the album. It's a quick poop-chute splash from here on out.

8. "Ass-a-grab (for Man-Ho)" I can NOT listen to this sh*t. The absolute epitome of how bad Rush lost the point back then...absolutely nothing redeeming. Rush was almost DONE when they actually finished recording this and thought it had ANYTHING redeeming. Sums up completely what was EXCRUCIATINGLY TERRIBLE about Rush back then. It's as if they wrote a song and said, "OK, let's try to lose every fan we have left with this one."

9. "Red Mountain Fresh Tide with Bleach" Oh my phr*ckin' God PLEASE make it stop. Stupid liberal 8th grade lyrics, drenched in 80's reverb, Casio keys...terribly uncatchy, monotone singing...if you need an example of how Rush completely lost the plot/script/purpose/method/reason in the late 80's, THIS is it. As is the next song...

10. "Ass Insert Fist" This song STILL makes me wince. Just completely terrible. I feel embarassed for Rush when I TRY to listen to this...nearly 25yrs later & STILL not catchy. NOTHING good whatsoever about this dreck. No testosterone at ALL. Makes me think of that little feminine boy on the bullying commercial shown at night where he's coached to say, "It's harder where there's a bigger group" as he scriptedly shakes his head. Quick! Cut to the scene with his two biker moms with front-butts...yeah, you can see where this song is going.

11. "Available Light" Available SH*T.

Edited by Spaghetti Lee

1. "Show Don't Tell" Best song on the album; tricks you into thinking the rest will be good...Rush did that for a while; they'd put the best song early on and you'd be astounded by how bad and seemingly unrelated some of the other crap on the album was. A beacon of light after the last few songs off Hold Your Fire when THAT album lost steam. Bass solo! Jazz bass (at least in the video)!!! Catchy! Less keyboards!!! What could go wrong? Hey, this album might be good!!! But, don't get them hopes up just yet...reality sets in quite quickly on ole' Pissto...

2. "Chain Lightning" OK song...those damn sun dogs! Good 2nd song. The "That's Nice" part is stupid. Geddy's "bram bram bram" or whatever the hell is fun.

3. "The Ass" Actually this is alright; I don't get why some people hate it so much...at least it's catchy. Well-written concise little song. Could be a LOT worse...just keep listening!

4. "Whore Taint" My GOD does this song epitomize what was WRONG with Rush then...Casio sounding horrid keys, lameness on a grand scale, staccato "singing," enough reverb to fill a stadium. After the first three, you give this one a pass (no pun intended!) thinking the next song will be a little better...and it is.

5. "Scars" Not horrible; Geddy was still trying to write a Tears for Fears song here...kinda catchy, not nearly as cringe inducing as it could have been...just wait for the 2nd half of the album!

6. "Pissto" If I could wave my magic wand, I'd p*ss all over this sh*t song. When I first had this on cassette in 1989, THIS is the point I would turn the tape off. The death-knell of the album.

7. "Poopy-cum-dick'd-'er" Ah, the hate for this song is legendary; truth is, it's cheezy, but kinda GOOD cheezy. Not that the song IS good, but at least it's catchy and hooky. The last gleam of hope from the album. It's a quick poop-chute splash from here on out.

8. "Ass-a-grab (for Man-Ho)" I can NOT listen to this sh*t. The absolute epitome of how bad Rush lost the point back then...absolutely nothing redeeming. Rush was almost DONE when they actually finished recording this and thought it had ANYTHING redeeming. Sums up completely what was EXCRUCIATINGLY TERRIBLE about Rush back then. It's as if they wrote a song and said, "OK, let's try to lose every fan we have left with this one."

9. "Red Mountain Fresh Tide with Bleach" Oh my phr*ckin' God PLEASE make it stop. Stupid liberal 8th grade lyrics, drenched in 80's reverb, Casio keys...terribly uncatchy, monotone singing...if you need an example of how Rush completely lost the plot/script/purpose/method/reason in the late 80's, THIS is it. As is the next song...

10. "Ass Insert Fist" This song STILL makes me wince. Just completely terrible. I feel embarassed for Rush when I TRY to listen to this...nearly 25yrs later & STILL not catchy. NOTHING good whatsoever about this dreck. No testosterone at ALL. Makes me think of that little feminine boy on the bullying commercial shown at night where he's coached to say, "It's harder where there's a bigger group" as he scriptedly shakes his head. Quick! Cut to the scene with his two biker moms with front-butts...yeah, you can see where this song is going.

Personally, I love the album. And your criticisms are super hilarious! Your complaints are legit, that's for sure, and I have noticed how Rush typically starts every album with the most rocking/catchy song. A little bit of demonic trickery on their part!

kindly go F yourself :)

• Like 5

Agree the previous assertions:

Definitely way too 'thin' sounding for me. Lacks 'balls'.

I am trying to erase from my memory that Lerxst used the Signature guitars. Thank goodness he switched to the PRS's after Presto.

There is very little that I like about Presto. Haven't listened to it in probably 10 years now.

Edited by apetersvt

I am trying to erase from my memory that Lerxst used the Signature guitars. Thank goodness he switched to the PRS's after Presto.

There is very little that I like about Presto. Haven't listened to it in probably 10 years now.

I agree that the production is a little thin-sounding, but I chalk that up to just standard late '80s production values. More a sign of the times than anything. That's why I like it when they play the songs from Presto and Hold Your Fire live, these days (and Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure, for that matter)- we get the great songs with the beefier sound that the band employs now.

• Like 2

Presto was produced by a sorta dance producer Rubert Hine (his solo albums are really good....if u can find them) and you can hear Ruberts backup vocals can be heard almost over Geddys on RTB "The Big Wheel" towards the end of the song during the chorus.but you can hear the influence of Rubert electronica/dance influence on "Scars" and when "Scars" was played live on the tour it's like a Rush remix version which I thought was amazing!!! Getting "Show Don't Tell" all balls guitar heavy after years of keyboards ear of PoW and HYF I was happy.And it didn't end there Rubert went further with the masterpiece RTB and Rush staying on course with that dark heavy sound on "Counterparts" which was Rush highest charting yet #2 (would have been 1 if Pearljam hadn't released "VS" that week)

I remember goin to the midnight release at Times Square virgin store to get RTB and Counterparts much fun but long lines both were commercially successes with counterparts selling upwards to 700k and RTB has gone over the million mark years ago so apparently Rush was doin something right

I dont understand why people complain on the mix on Presto, I dont find any problems with it.

If its any album that I got a problem with when its about the mix, it is Clockwork Angels, Clockwork Angels Tour, Vapor Trails and Rush In Rio.

They have fixed Vapor Trails now, so I hope they fix the other albums soon!

But Presto, its no problems with it...

It is just thin. Alex's guitar is thin, Neil's drum's are thin. A little ass in that album and I think it is really good.

The thinness is a result of the wonderful "state of the art" digital equipment they were using. :doh: I think Geddy said there are no plans to "Vapor Trails" any other album.

I've pointed out a million times before on this forum that the thin sound was also the result of recording with single coil Signature guitars and a Wal bass. None of which were known for having a crunchy ballsy sound. Geddy said in an interview once that Wal basses weren't good for recording heavy sounding rock because that's not the type of sound you could get from them naturally. They were a smooth finesse sounding bass that better suited the PW-HYF era songs not anything that was supposed to be aggresssive.

You also have to remember that the band was intentionally going for a thinner sound after the thick layers of keyboards and synths from the previous albums.

• Like 1