Why I like Neil's Updates

LedRush

I know they are long winded and too detailed. But I like reading about my favorite band, and I like learning about them what they care to share with us. Of course, the parts about the band and the music are my favorites, but lines like this always attract me to Neil:

"Another day we all went tobogganing and sledding at a small abandoned ski hill nearby. In my former life it was a great family place on weekends, with a T-bar lift and a small chalet serving hot chocolate and fries with gravy. I have many happy memories of winter afternoons there with my lost Selena in the ’80s, when she was eight or ten. Riding up the T-bar, she was so small that when the crossbar fitted behind her butt, as it should, it had to be behind my knees.

All of that was long gone, but the hillside remained clear for cross-country skiers and sledders."

The description is vivid, engaging and properly heart-breaking.

• Like 8

There is no reason for you to justify your enjoyment of Neil's blog. He's a good writer.

People who complain about his blogs sound like idiots - as if they are being forced to read them and comment on how bad the experience was.

• Like 6

There is no reason for you to justify your enjoyment of Neil's blog. He's a good writer.

People who complain about his blogs sound like idiots - as if they are being forced to read them and comment on how bad the experience was.

Ouch. I think I caught some shrapnel on that one.... :D :unsure:
  • Like 1

People whine because he doesn't mention news on Rush. He doesn't have to. His blog is exactly that; his blog. This is where he writes memoirs of his life, and if he decides that Rush fits parts of them (he has in previous writings), then more power to him. If you're looking for Rush news don't go to neilpeart.net, because that's not what his site is about. Go over to Power Windows or stick around the forum if that's all you care about.
  • Like 3

People whine because he doesn't mention news on Rush. He doesn't have to. His blog is exactly that; his blog. This is where he writes memoirs of his life, and if he decides that Rush fits parts of them (he has in previous writings), then more power to him. If you're looking for Rush news don't go to neilpeart.net, because that's not what his site is about. Go over to Power Windows or stick around the forum if that's all you care about.

But then that's one less thing those people can bitch about.

• Like 2

I think most blogs are boring except for the people involved. It's like reading somebody's diary where most of the juicy stuff is not included.
  • Like 1

I think most blogs are boring except for the people involved. It's like reading somebody's diary where most of the juicy stuff is not included.

Or sh*ty facebook. Who gives a sh*t that much about somebody else's life? My Niece posts every damn thing her, her husband and kids do.... Lord have mercy.....

Oops forgot.... :codger: :sigh:

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 3

I find it quite interesting how Neil is such a private person, in person—he (normally) doesn't do interviews, avoids meet & greets, hates being recognized by fans, etc.--but he is so open and forthcoming online.

I think I find it interesting because I am also introverted. I have no problem posting all sorts of stuff here, but if we were at a party I'd be the one standing in the corner wondering if it was time to go home yet.

• Like 6

Or sh*ty facebook. Who gives a sh*t that much about somebody else's life? My Niece posts every damn thing her, her husband and kids do.... Lord have mercy.....

Oops forgot.... :codger: :sigh:

I like Facebook but I don't post everything that I do. I'm mainly over there to keep in contact with friends and family. Oh and the games. :)

I find it quite interesting how Neil is such a private person, in person—he (normally) doesn't do interviews, avoids meet & greets, hates being recognized by fans, etc.--but he is so open and forthcoming online.

I think I find it interesting because I am also introverted. I have no problem posting all sorts of stuff here, but if we were at a party I'd be the one standing in the corner wondering if it was time to go home yet.

I don't really think it's that surprising. With interactions with fans he probably feels out-of-control. With his writings he's completely in control. So it's a way for him to share on his own terms.

• Like 1

I like reading Neil’s posts because he’s Neil. And I am a big fan. Plus, the guy’s a hell of a writer.

I love Neil's updates. And I love them because they are mostly NOT about Rush. They are about LIFE. My favorite of the year is always the one in February, where he talks about his time at the cottage, because he lives a mere 10 minutes away from our cottage. So I know all the places he's talking about, the weather he experienced, at the same time as me. I haven't had time to read most of it, last night, but just read the part about his brother-in-law... He experienced the same thing that happened to me, when my brother died suddenly 3 days after Christmas, a couple of months ago.... And it was superb to see the pics of his daughter, who is the same age as my Nephew, and reminds me of my Niece.... I love that he shares his family life with us, NO ONE forced him to do so. He's comfortable sharing that way, and I respect him even more for that... I've never felt like he's trying to attract attention to himself, or anything like some people think, through his blog. It's his life, and no one is forced to read it if they don't want to.... Thanks Neil! Keep it up!! :cheers:
  • Like 8

I like his stuff! Interesting reading from a different perspective of the band stuff... I was just surprised that he put pics of his kid...albeit no face shots to speak of...(not that I blame him, though)

I like his stuff! Interesting reading from a different perspective of the band stuff... I was just surprised that he put pics of his kid...albeit no face shots to speak of...(not that I blame him, though)

Agreed. He seems to always keep them out of the limelight. Which I understand, because otherwise there'd probably be some crazy fan trying to meet them.