Judas Priest finish recording new album

adace1

For those who haven't got it yet (ie me):

http://ru.metal-tracker.com/cache_images/details/1135710.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G5Qm-_-5jFg/U8Bo7If52wI/AAAAAAAAGrQ/j0LuuifZVyo/s1600/JUDAS+PRIEST+-+Redeemer+Of+Souls+%5BDeluxe+Edition+bonus+disc%5D+back+cover.gif

http://moole.ru/uploads/posts/2014-07/1404846894_000-judas_priest-redeemer_of_souls-deluxe_edition.jpg

I haven't got this Dragonaut misprint because mine isn't made in the EU it's made in Hong Kong!

Ah, is that why it took so long to reach you?

I didn't notice the misprint until I came to write it in the What are you Listening to Now thread

Maybe, I forgot they send a lot of stuff from Hong Kong...

I ordered it from Amazon, along with the DVD Electric Eye (I'm on a Priest binge) and got it in 3 days without expedited shipping. I've given it about 3 spins and really dig it. Of course its nothing like their classic stuff (like any older band) but Its still a worthy release and I'm grateful the Mighty Priest is still putting albums out!
  • Like 1

I ordered it from Amazon, along with the DVD Electric Eye (I'm on a Priest binge) and got it in 3 days without expedited shipping. I've given it about 3 spins and really dig it. Of course its nothing like their classic stuff (like any older band) but Its still a worthy release and I'm grateful the Mighty Priest is still putting albums out!

I think it's the best album they've done since Defenders of the Faith, yes better than Painkiller! :haz:

• Like 1

I think it's the best album they've done since Defenders of the Faith, yes better than Painkiller! :haz:

:o But nothing is better than Painkiller.

The new album is awesome though. It's certainly one of their better releases. I love Halls Of Valhalla, I can't get enough of that one right now. After 40 years, Priest is still writing metal classics.

Edited by J2112YYZ

The new album is awesome though. It's certainly one of their better releases. I love Halls Of Valhalla, I can't get enough of that one right now. After 40 years, Priest is still writing metal classics.

Painkiller is a solid album that I really enjoy but all these people who hail it as Priest's finest hour are misguided and obviously weren't there in the early days and don't really understand the first 8 or 9 albums.

• Like 1

Wow. A bold statement my friend. It is definately growing on me. I'm glad you hold it in such high regard.

Wow. A bold statement my friend. It is definately growing on me. I'm glad you hold it in such high regard.

:haz: :givebeer: :yes: :blaze: :guitar:

Painkiller is a solid album that I really enjoy but all these people who hail it as Priest's finest hour are misguided and obviously weren't there in the early days and don't really understand the first 8 or 9 albums.

Thank you for stating this, cuz I totally agree. I would still put PK somewhere just out of the Top 5 all the same.

Thank you for stating this, cuz I totally agree. I would still put PK somewhere just out of the Top 5 all the same.

I think I've got it just outside the top 10.

Four Decades of Hellfire with Judas Priest (Interview)

Written by: Frank Mastropolo

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/JPriest_TS14_050814_0487-edit1.jpg

The 1984 mockumentary This Is Spinal Tap depicted the insanity of life on the road with the fictional heavy metal band. To prepare for the film, director Rob Reiner attended a concert by metal icons Judas Priest. “It physically hurt my chest,” said Reiner. “The reverberation in the hall was so strong that I couldn’t stay there any longer.”

Priest’s front man is Rob Halford, whose operatic style and high-pitched screams have defined heavy metal vocals for forty years. Priest pioneered metal’s dual lead guitar lineup; Glenn Tipton and Richie Faulkner trade riffs as well as write the band’s apocalyptic tracks with Halford. Faulkner is the new kid on the block, replacing longtime guitarist K.K. Downing in 2011.

Presumably the band has been busy stoking the fires of Hell as it has been six years since the last Priest studio album. Headbangers were ecstatic last month when Priest released Redeemer of Souls, a critically acclaimed LP that serves as a power romp through a world of dragons, demons and destruction.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/judas-priest-redeemer-of-souls-art2-1024x1024.jpg

Rock Cellar Magazine recently sat down with Halford, Tipton and Faulkner to learn how Judas Priest produces its heavy metal anthems.

The band shared some Spinal Tap moments of its own, including the time a lighting rig, called a gantry, broke loose and almost killed the drummer.

Rock Cellar Magazine: Rob, you’ve said you set out to make a “fierce relentless classic heavy metal album” with Redeemer of Souls. How do you do that?

Rob Halford: I think a lot of it is instinctive; it’s intuitive. There’s a sense of purpose which we definitely have on this record.

I think 10 years from now this will be revered as one of the greatest metal records ever made.

I don’t say that lightly. Just knowing how everything works, it feels that good. It was just pouring it out from the heart. And all the skill that Glenn and I have attained in the writing sense over 40 years. And then of course bringing Richie on, who is already fully integrated and been a massive fan of the band and knows the songs of Priest. It was just a very simple record to make.

Glenn Tipton: People don’t realize that as you write an album, twice as much has probably been discarded because it didn’t click, it didn’t inspire people. Sometimes you get a great idea for a song and you keep working it and working it and at some point the best thing to do is discard it, work on something else.

You don’t recognize what’s good or bad yourself sometimes. I’ve often played a riff that I think is really good and there’s just stunned silence (laughs). Nobody else does, really. The best thing to do is put that away, forget about it and move on.

Rock Cellar Magazine: What stage are the songs in when you go into the studio?

Richie Faulkner: We have skeleton songs that are written melodies and then there are things that we come up with in the studio. I remember vividly Rob came in one day; he’d come up with a vocal idea. And he said that he was sitting in a traffic jam on the way to the studio, got the idea for the phrase, and put in down on a recorder.

So you can imagine sitting in that traffic jam, looking over and doing a double take – there’s Rob Halford screaming into a recorder. He brings it into the studio and that becomes another song. We get in there, put them in a cauldron and put them all together. A jigsaw puzzle.

Rock Cellar Magazine: Growing up, before metal existed, who were your influences?

Rob Halford: For me, as a singer, I loved listening to people like Janis Joplin and even people like Elvis and Little Richard. The voice is such a remarkable instrument. I always think when you’re singing, you’re singing from your soul. I get often asked, where do you find the way to scream so hard? If you listen to what Robert Plant was doing in those early Led Zeppelin albums or what Janis is doing with Big Brother & the Holding Company, it makes you understand what the human voice can do.

Rock Cellar Magazine: Can we hear any of those influences in your music?

Rob Halford: On the track called Revolution on the Angel of Retribution album, I was definitely channeling Robert Plant. You can hear it in the outro section mostly.

Rock Cellar Magazine: What is the state of metal today? Are the new bands evolving the medium or are they just ripping you guys off?

Richie Faulkner: I wouldn’t call it ripping it off. I’d call it tipping the hat to bands like Priest or Black Sabbath. And the good thing about today is the bands at the forefront of the metal movement are doing it unashamedly. They don’t say we’re hiding our roots. They’re putting their roots out there for everyone to hear. And it’s a great testament to these guys.

Rob Halford: In today’s metal world, you hear the expression “cookie cutter,” which I think is a bit insulting because in the end every band is trying to do the best that they can. And sometimes, depending on the genre of metal you do bump into each other. But it is about finding your originality.

Most people understand that to get ahead in rock ‘n’ roll, you’ve got to do something that somebody else hasn’t done before. That’s very, very difficult.

You’ll get people like Metallica acknowledging Priest, Korn, bands that have really done well in their own right. That’s great because we talk about passing the flame to one another.

The overall state and condition of metal is phenomenal. It started with two bands, Priest and Sabbath and now look at it. Remarkable.

Rock Cellar Magazine: How has the film Spinal Tap entered the lexicon of metal?

Rob Halford: Spinal Tap is just the way life works, a parody, art imitating life. And I dare say the new metal bands are equally going through their own Spinal Tap-esque moments now, even if they’ve never seen that movie. Because that’s just the way life happens, you know?

Glenn Tipton: I think Spinal Tap condensed and summed up the whole world of bands, not just metal really, but bands in general. There’s conflict, there’s ego problems, there’s outside influences, money problems. That stuff actually does go on. There are things cited in that film that come from Judas Priest, you know, there are experiences on the road that certainly have been Spinal Tap moments.

We’ve been lost underneath stages…

Rob Halford: And you’re in Detroit, you go “Hello St. Louis!” It’s just a fact. There was me beating Glenn up with these things that I thought were lightweight cardboard tubes. They were sprayed silver and looked like steel scaffolding, but they were really thick. I thought it was a cool special effect years ago. I was bashing Glenn not realizing that I was doing grievous bodily harm…

Glenn Tipton: He hit me in the teeth…

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/JPriest_TS14_050714_0156.jpg

Rob Halford: And he was writhing around. I thought he was getting into it so I kept hitting him more and more.

Glenn Tipton: One night we were playing, I kept getting shocks on the lips off the mic. I got really pissed off and in the end just threw my guitar in the audience, which I couldn’t afford to do. A roadie went in there, actually got it back from about 20 people that were punching him in the face.

And there was the time Rob got trapped in the claw. We used to have a big claw and it rose up and Rob used to stand in it. Lift him off the stage. And he got stuck. So he was up there for about four or five numbers (laughs).

One dangerous moment is we used to have a big star-shaped gantry that was homemade, really. It weighed, what, two or three ton?

And a chain broke halfway through the set and it just swung past the drummer and across the stage.

Rob Halford: (Laughs) Like in Spinal Tap. One drummer blows up, the other one gets killed, decapitated by a piece of lighting gear. It was right behind you, you could feel the draft. It was like that movie, The Pit and the Pendulum.

It was swinging back and forth, the crowd’s going, “Yeah!” It’s funny now but at the time it was quite the dangerous thing.

Glenn Tipton: That was one of the unfunny moments. The most Spinal Tap moment.

Rob Halford: I will say this: You can only create great satire out of great things that have happened. It’s not only fun and entertaining, it’s also a respectful acknowledgment of the good things and the great things you’ve created.

Rock Cellar Magazine: Your Unplugged show was terrific. Do you like performing acoustic?

Rob Halford: Yeah, it just shows you that if you’ve written a good song, it can be done really well acoustically. But I think you have to be very guarded about those types of things that you present. You have to balance it off with something else, like the album Nostradamus: low, quiet acoustic types of atmospheres but they’re always supported by the big metal moments.

Rock Cellar Magazine: Do you think the fans would ever accept a James Taylor-style Judas Priest?

Rob Halford: I’d be very cautious about making an acoustic Judas Priest album with 10 or 12 songs. I think that could be quite damaging because the legacy of Priest is heavy metal. Those two words say a lot just by stating them.

Rock Cellar Magazine: We’re in New York City now where you played the now-gone Palladium many times in the late ‘70s and ‘80s. Any memories of those shows?

Rob Halford: We used to use a machine gun on stage. How we got away with it I don’t know. You couldn’t do that now.

Rock Cellar Magazine: Who thought that was a good idea?

Rob Halford: Probably me, I come up with all these things. It was a song called Genocide. We had a breakdown section of the song where it would end and I would pull the trigger on this fully automatic submachine gun – you know about this, Richie? He loves hearing these stories.

At the end I would do a full burst, which was about a hundred rounds that went off in about three or four seconds.

Richie Faulkner: Live rounds?

Rob Halford: Blanks! (Laughs) It would have been, “Priest killed the audience that night – literally.”

But it was a dramatic effect and that goes way back to when we began. We wanted to put on a show. People say, “Who are you gonna go see tonight?” They don’t say, “Who are you gonna go hear tonight?”

• Like 1

Rob Halford: I think a lot of it is instinctive; it’s intuitive. There’s a sense of purpose which we definitely have on this record.

I think 10 years from now this will be revered as one of the greatest metal records ever made.

:LOL: I love that guy.

Edited by Rushman14

This is how I currently rate the 17 Priest albums from best to weakest.

1 Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)

2 Stained Class (1978)

3 Killing Machine (1979)

4 Sin After Sin (1977)

5 Screaming for Vengeance (1982)

6 Defenders of the Faith (1984)

7 British Steel (1980)

8 Rocka Rolla (1974)

9 Redeemer of Souls (2014)

10 Angel of Retribution (2005)

11 Painkiller (1990)

12 Point of Entry (1981)

13 Nostradamus (2008)

14 Turbo (1986)

15 Ram It Down (1988)

16 Jugulator (1997)

17 Demolition (2001)

• Like 2

This is how I currently rate the 17 Priest albums from best to weakest.

1 Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)

2 Stained Class (1978)

3 Killing Machine (1979)

4 Sin After Sin (1977)

5 Screaming for Vengeance (1982)

6 Defenders of the Faith (1984)

7 British Steel (1980)

8 Rocka Rolla (1974)

9 Redeemer of Souls (2014)

10 Angel of Retribution (2005)

11 Painkiller (1990)

12 Point of Entry (1981)

13 Nostradamus (2008)

14 Turbo (1986)

15 Ram It Down (1988)

16 Jugulator (1997)

17 Demolition (2001)

Here's my rank. I'm including unleashed in the east because it's awesome and the vocals were recorded in a studio.

1. Unleashed in the East

2. Screaming

3. Sin After Sin

4. British Steel

5. Point Of Entry

6. Stained Class

7. Defenders

8. Sad Wings

9, Killing Machine

10. Painkiller

11. Rocka Rolla

12, Angel Of retribution

13. Redeemer

14.Nostradamus

15. Turbo

16. Ram it Down

17. Jugulator

18. Demolition

• Like 1

Fuckit, here goes, not including the Ripper Owens stuff, which I've never heard:

1. Defenders Of The Faith

2. Hellbent For Leather

3. British Steel

4. Stained Glass

5. Screaming For Vengence

6. Painkiller

7. Turbo :moon:

8. Sad Wings Of Destiny

9. Sin After Sin

10. Redeemer Of Souls

11. Point Of Entry

12. Nostradamus

13. Angel Of Retribution

14. Rock A Rolla

15. Ram It Down

• Like 1

Fuckit, here goes, not including the Ripper Owens stuff, which I've never heard:

1. Defenders Of The Faith

2. Hellbent For Leather

3. British Steel

4. Stained Glass

5. Screaming For Vengence

6. Painkiller

7. Turbo :moon:

8. Sad Wings Of Destiny

9. Sin After Sin

10. Redeemer Of Souls

11. Point Of Entry

12. Nostradamus

13. Angel Of Retribution

14. Rock A Rolla

15. Ram It Down

Don't worry about having Turbo as high as 7th, I have it rated lower but I still think it's a really good album. I've got Ram it Down as the worst of the Halford-era albums but it's still very solid, lots of choice cuts on there, like every Priest platter. Even the weakest of Priest is better than most bands' best.

The album rules, and just because I like ranking things too...

Stained Class

Sad Wings of Destiny

Sin After Sin

Killing Machine

Defenders of the Faith

Screaming for Vengeance

British Steel

Rocka Rolla

Painkiller

Redeemer of Souls

Angel of Retribution

Point of Entry

Turbo

Nostradamus

Ram It Down

Jugulator

Demolition

• Like 2

The album rules, and just because I like ranking things too...

Stained Class

Sad Wings of Destiny

Sin After Sin

Killing Machine

Defenders of the Faith

Screaming for Vengeance

British Steel

Rocka Rolla

Painkiller

Redeemer of Souls

Angel of Retribution

Point of Entry

Turbo

Nostradamus

Ram It Down

Jugulator

Demolition

That's very similar to my list. It looks like we see Priest in the same light! :blaze: :hi: :haz:

• Like 1

Just got Angel of Retribution

How do you like it?

It's all good but my personal favourite track is DEMONIZER! :haz: :fury:

Yeah, I loved it...but I've yet to hear a Priest album that I haven't. :haz:

Probably need to listen to it a few more time before I can pick out any favourites.....although I recall loving Deal with the Devil