Neil Peart Update: March 2014

Tony R

Another day we all went tobogganing and sledding at a small abandoned ski hill nearby. In my former life it was a great family place on weekends, with a T-bar lift and a small chalet serving hot chocolate and fries with gravy. I have many happy memories of winter afternoons there with my lost Selena in the ’80s, when she was eight or ten. Riding up the T-bar, she was so small that when the crossbar fitted behind her butt, as it should, it had to be behind my knees.

All of that was long gone...

Almost made me cry. For such a private man, for him to write like this - out of the three, we know the most about him - isn't that ironic?

Not to me, shy people tend to let it out more when they're not face to face with someone. That's why we get so much writing from this guy..

I don't know that he really is that shy. And how many times has he said in interviews that his private life is private, and that the fans don't own him?

I just find it odd that he would tell us so much. Too bad he can't tolerate us, because I would love to talk to him. He is well read, obviously very intelligent, and I would love to hear why he thinks the way he thinks about many things.

Ya maybe social anxiety is a better description than simple shyness. Ever see him giving a speech or accepting an award? Sometimes he's hard to look at because he's so bloody uncomfortable! I know this feeling and I don't know how he manages to get through it! It's the same kind of anxiety trigger as meeting fans who shower him with praise.

He's said it himself. "Extroverts will never understand introverts" this couldn't be truer.

Also "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend". He's not just saying he has no time for fans.. He's saying He "CAN'T pretend.." Meaning he just doesn't know how..

It's not that he can't tolerate us, it's that he simply does not know how to tolerate they way we often act..

That said Lorraine, I bet Neil would love to chat with you if you could somehow think of him as an equal.

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 2

Another day we all went tobogganing and sledding at a small abandoned ski hill nearby. In my former life it was a great family place on weekends, with a T-bar lift and a small chalet serving hot chocolate and fries with gravy. I have many happy memories of winter afternoons there with my lost Selena in the ’80s, when she was eight or ten. Riding up the T-bar, she was so small that when the crossbar fitted behind her butt, as it should, it had to be behind my knees.

Almost made me cry. For such a private man, for him to write like this - out of the three, we know the most about him - isn't that ironic?

Not to me, shy people tend to let it out more when they're not face to face with someone. That's why we get so much writing from this guy..

I don't know that he really is that shy. And how many times has he said in interviews that his private life is private, and that the fans don't own him?

I just find it odd that he would tell us so much. Too bad he can't tolerate us, because I would love to talk to him. He is well read, obviously very intelligent, and I would love to hear why he thinks the way he thinks about many things.

Ya maybe social anxiety is a better description than simple shyness. Ever see him giving a speech or accepting an award? Sometimes he's hard to look at because he's so bloody uncomfortable! I know this feeling and I don't know how he manages to get through it! It's the same kind of anxiety trigger as meeting fans who shower him with praise.

He's said it himself. "Extroverts will never understand introverts" this couldn't be truer.

Also "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend". He's not just saying he has no time for fans.. He's saying He "CAN'T pretend.." Meaning he just doesn't know how..

It's not that he can't tolerate us, it's that he simply does not know how to tolerate they way we often act..

That said Lorraine, I bet Neil would love to chat with you if you could somehow think of him as an equal.

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

Well said. Excellent post

• Like 1

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

I think my real problem with all of it is that, as much as I don't blame Neil one bit for trying to clarify why he's not extroverted, it's hard for me to see him as part of any group that truly faces being misunderstood or disenfranchised. Few people who go through tragedies in life are privileged enough to have the empathy of a mass audience. There are countless people whose entire lives were horror stories, and they had no platform whatsoever. So while I'm sure Neil is a decent person who sees himself as equal, it's society that's guilty of seeing his wealth and status as the only reason why his story matters.

• Like 3

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

I think my real problem with all of it is that, as much as I don't blame Neil one bit for trying to clarify why he's not extroverted, it's hard for me to see him as part of any group that truly faces being misunderstood or disenfranchised. Few people who go through tragedies in life are privileged enough to have the empathy of a mass audience. There are countless people whose entire lives were horror stories, and they had no platform whatsoever. So while I'm sure Neil is a decent person who sees himself as equal, it's society that's guilty of seeing his wealth and status as the only reason why his story matters.

Very insightful. I agree

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

What u guys fail to realize is that "Can't pretend" sentiment was expressed over three decades ago, and so many things have changed. Its not shyness or introversion at this stage. Its a brazen form of selfishness cloaked as these things.

Edited by GeminiRising79

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

Good point but I wasn't suggesting this anxiety comes from his tragedies. I bet he's been that way all his life, and maybe he handled fans a little better earlier in his career but had a few experiences that made him shy away even more.. Who knows

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

What u guys fail to realize is that "Can't pretend" sentiment was expressed over three decades ago, and so many things have changed. Its not shyness or introversion at this stage. Its a brazen form of selfishness cloaked as these things.

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

Since when did personality traits have expiration dates..?

I don't mean to defend Neil all the time but I just have a strong feeling that you "Neil's a dick" types have it wrong. I've seen it my whole life where people who are shy and introverted are mistaken to be angry and selfish. But if you expect people to be social and outgoing despite who they are then guess who's being selfish..

I didn't know we had so many psychologists here!

Hey we can't have a update from Neil without a "psycho-analyze the drummer thread" haha

• Like 1

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

He's a flesh and blood human being that just got more breaks than others. More talent too come to think of it. :unsure:

We would have a fine talk. Then, since he is such a gourmet, he could cook me a Neil meal.

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

..Isn't that ironic? ;)

Since when did personality traits have expiration dates..?

I don't mean to defend Neil all the time but I just have a strong feeling that you "Neil's a dick" types have it wrong. I've seen it my whole life where people who are shy and introverted are mistaken to be angry and selfish. But if you expect people to be social and outgoing despite who they are then guess who's being selfish..

I certainly don't think that Neil is a "dick"- He has been excessively selfish at times in the past, but now he really seems to be blooming. Its super refreshing to see. Hope he continues reaching out to admirers.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

Hey we can't have a update from Neil without a "psycho-analyze the drummer thread" haha

Well, it's kind of hard not to talk about something when it's been revealed to all of us for decades in excruciating detail. It really is like we're all his therapist, isn't it?

Hey, I haz an idea. Maybe Geddy and Alex should sneak up on him, tie him to a chair, and have every Rush fan in the world line up and tell him their life story, one after the other. And when they're done, he has to give them money and tell them what a great inspiration they are to him and that he's 1000% convinced that they're God. And he has to do this to every single one of these people, indiscriminately, with no breaks whatsoever. Whatcha guys think? :)

Hey, I haz an idea. Maybe Geddy and Alex should sneak up on him, tie him to a chair, and have every Rush fan in the world line up and tell him their life story, one after the other. And when they're done, he has to give them money and tell them what a great inspiration they are to him and that he's 1000% convinced that they're God. And he has to do this to every single one of these people, indiscriminately, with no breaks whatsoever. Whatcha guys think? :)

:eyeroll:

• Like 1

Well, it's kind of hard not to talk about something when it's been revealed to all of us for decades in excruciating detail. It really is like we're all his therapist, isn't it?

Nah, that's a lot of fans.. he'd never have time to make that next album we're all waiting to complain about haha!

• Like 1

If Peart's spiritual philosophies were what drove me toward (or away from) interest in the band, I would have stopped listening to them (and playing their music) a long long time ago. Nutshell point being: "Don't care. Just keep playing great music for me and keep pushing the envelope of excellence in musicianship and you can write lyrics and post blogs about plucking nose hair out of a gorilla for all I care." Edited by forcetenrushtribute

It's just ignorance to call shyness selfishness when it's anything but. People who are shy feel really awkward in social situations. It's something you don't just grow out of, no matter how much you're thrust into situations where you have to deal with people. Obviously Neil feels the need to share himself with us or he wouldn't be putting out the books.(And no I don't think it's only for money) It's a way for him to share with fans without being stressed about doing it directly. I would think dealing with obsessive fans would make someone more shy rather than the other way around. I wish he was more outgoing and would show up at more social functions and meet and greets, but he doesn't and that's all there is to it. We should respect his wishes. He doesn't owe us anything.
  • Like 5

I was painfully shy/awkward for most of my life, but eventually realized that its critical to be social. Kicking people out the door because you haven't evolved yourself socially isn't proper. Nobody likes that.

No but like I said he doesn't owe us anything. Everybody's experiences are different. We are lucky to benefit from his music and lyrics but beyond that anything else would be icing on the cake. Personally I like his books and I like the insight to his life. We don't know as much about Geddy or Alex as we do Neil. But I think Neil has a more interesting life with all the traveling.

Having millions of adoring fans would not in any way soften the agony of losing a child and my partner within a year of each other. Nor would having millions of dollars. Uhm - yeah, I guess I'd have the luxury of going to exotic, posh hotels to wither away in agony on Egyptian sheets?

As I get older, I have lost more and more people in my life as we all have.- I have never thought "damn, if only I was rich and famous my cousin's horrible, sudden death from cancer would be way easier"

Over the years since the passing of his ...entire family - I don't think I've ever read more horrible statements than some of the things that have been said about Neil Peart by his very own fans. It's embarrassing - ranting about how he should conduct his grief; how lucky he is to be rich and famous; how he should hug everyone; greet blathering fans with a warm smile and oh, please, just talk to us after the show and not run away so quickly.

Because ...we love you Neil. Don't you love us back you selfish prick?

Now he has found a format to be able to share his feelings and life experience with fans who choose to read his blog.

Still not enough.

I don't blame him for being a dick sometimes.

• Like 5