Neil Peart Update: March 2014

Tony R

Not this again. Okay, for those who are sensitive to contrarian views, please do not read the following rant:

:ranton: Still here? Okay, you asked for it. Now guys, you all know what happens when I force myself through one of Neil's blog entries. I end up feeling cheated and I become incredibly resentful, eventually going off at his expense. Now I just read a ton and a half of Greek drama and I really enjoyed that, so it's not like I don't enjoy reading. Meanwhile I'm incredibly happy for Neil's luck in having a new family. But unless he and his entourage ride into my house and put a gun to my head, I absolutely refuse to read any of his maddeningly naive, condescending, and dull-witted prose ever again. Lyrics? Great. Brilliant beyond belief. But please, in the name of Cygnus, save us all from Neil's clueless, classist musings. Sorry, but that is my view and it is not changing. :rantoff:

After all this time you express this opinion? I get it that you don't like it, but would you stand before his four and a half year old daughter and tell her that her father's writings don't suit yer selfish ass?

He's got a point you know. Much like reading the Yukon Blade Grinder we know what we're getting when we click enter...tough day TLIYE? Need a hug? What can we do for you?

I did say I wasn't reading it again. And as for what birdsong is suggesting that I say to Neil's daughter? Sure, that sounds brilliant. I'll just go right up to an innocent preschooler and say, "Olivia, we don't know each other and I'm a complete stranger. But I just wanted to interrupt your playtime and say that your father's writing shows a blatantly prejudicial view towards a populace from whom he somehow expects to garner a mutual understanding." What could possibly go wrong with that? But hey, maybe I am on the wrong side of this issue. Maybe a rock star's assessments of lower-class Americans are just what we all need to hear these days. Who knows? :huh:

• Like 2

Not this again. Okay, for those who are sensitive to contrarian views, please do not read the following rant:

:ranton: Still here? Okay, you asked for it. Now guys, you all know what happens when I force myself through one of Neil's blog entries. I end up feeling cheated and I become incredibly resentful, eventually going off at his expense. Now I just read a ton and a half of Greek drama and I really enjoyed that, so it's not like I don't enjoy reading. Meanwhile I'm incredibly happy for Neil's luck in having a new family. But unless he and his entourage ride into my house and put a gun to my head, I absolutely refuse to read any of his maddeningly naive, condescending, and dull-witted prose ever again. Lyrics? Great. Brilliant beyond belief. But please, in the name of Cygnus, save us all from Neil's clueless, classist musings. Sorry, but that is my view and it is not changing. :rantoff:

After all this time you express this opinion? I get it that you don't like it, but would you stand before his four and a half year old daughter and tell her that her father's writings don't suit yer selfish ass?

He's got a point you know. Much like reading the Yukon Blade Grinder we know what we're getting when we click enter...tough day TLIYE? Need a hug? What can we do for you?

I did say I wasn't reading it again. And as for what birdsong is suggesting that I say to Neil's daughter? Sure, that sounds brilliant. I'll just go right up to an innocent preschooler and say, "Olivia, we don't know each other and I'm a complete stranger. But I just wanted to interrupt your playtime and say that your father's writing shows a blatantly prejudicial view towards a populace from whom he somehow expects to garner a mutual understanding." What could possibly go wrong with that? But hey, maybe I am on the wrong side of this issue. Maybe a rock star's assessments of lower-class Americans are just what we all need to hear these days. Who knows? :huh:

Oh, so you DO need a hug.

I just read Neil’s March newsletter. I can’t understand some of the criticisms in here… some people are never happy.
  • Like 1

TLIYE, I could have said it better. Neil Peart's blog is about his life outside of Rush and yes he can be a jerk. Some of his snarkiness and holier than thou opinions rub me the wrong way too, but it comes with the territory. The part about his daughter was some of his best stuff in a while. I think a lot of people (me included) read the blog hoping for any mention of Rush and we only get it on rare occasions. If he does mention Rush someone usually shouts it pretty loud on this forum so for a lot of folks it might be better to wait for those moments.
  • Like 2

I just read Neil’s March newsletter. I can’t understand some of the criticisms in here… some people are never happy.

Well, you have me on the "never happy" front. I didn't want to feel like I should be ashamed of skipping this one, but if you insist...

UPDATE: Well, I have a hell of a sense of timing, don't I? This one actually seems relevant to things that people have in common as human beings. Maybe he is reaching out rather than just pulling our leg. Sometimes it's hard in this day and age of publicity stunts and paid endorsements when someone in the public eye really is being sincere.

Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes

I agree… and for a guy who is known to be very private, it’s nice to see him opening up a bit. I couldn’t be happier for him with his new family and all. I could NOT imagine losing a wife and a child in the same year. I noticed that he is starting to talk about those times a bit more these days.
  • Like 2

"I love so many of his lyrics, but as a writer I find him so soul crushingly f*cking boring that I find myself drifting off after a couple of sentences. Can someone PLEASE give me a brief synopsis of any pertinent rush related news?"

—Rushgoober, 21 Aug 2013

"Am I the only one for whom once he mentions the word motorcycle or riding I start going into a catatonic state and drool starts dripping out of the side of my mouth? I can easily see Neil being the keynote speaker of a boredom conference. "

—Rushgoober, 21 Sept 2013

To Rushgoober :cheers:

Come back soon!

That's priceless...and relevant!

"I love so many of his lyrics, but as a writer I find him so soul crushingly f*cking boring that I find myself drifting off after a couple of sentences. Can someone PLEASE give me a brief synopsis of any pertinent rush related news?"

—Rushgoober, 21 Aug 2013

"Am I the only one for whom once he mentions the word motorcycle or riding I start going into a catatonic state and drool starts dripping out of the side of my mouth? I can easily see Neil being the keynote speaker of a boredom conference. "

Come back soon!

Reads like something I would have posted.....

Really? And that doesn't embarrass you?

—Rushgoober, 21 Aug 2013

Come back soon!

—Rushgoober, 21 Aug 2013

Come back soon!

Really? And that doesn't embarrass you?

No because I find his lyrics inspiring and his writing boring. Reading is not my thing to begin with and I certainly don't want to be bored when I attempt too.... :)

This is probably his best post. It lags a bit like they all do, but the talk of Olivia, his past life, and his lost friends is described in wonderfully vivid and heartbreaking detail. Just great.
  • Like 1

... Now guys, you all know what happens when I force myself through one of Neil's blog entries.

Yes - "forcing" yourself through Neil's blog causes you to make a fool of yourself with idiotic rants about how much you can't bear it.

No because I find his lyrics inspiring and his writing boring. Reading is not my thing to begin with and I certainly don't want to be bored when I attempt too.... :)

Well kudos for being honest ;)

You should try books on tape!!

Well kudos for being honest ;)

You should try books on tape!!

I probably should. I have managed to avoid reading for most of my 53 (my adult life anyway) years so I figure maybe I can make it a bit longer.... :D

This is probably his best post. It lags a bit like they all do, but the talk of Olivia, his past life, and his lost friends is described in wonderfully vivid and heartbreaking detail. Just great.

I agree. I'm glad he does them

—Rushgoober, 21 Aug 2013

Come back soon!

—Rushgoober, 21 Aug 2013

Come back soon!

but didn't. You snooze, you lose!

Another day we all went tobogganing and sledding at a small abandoned ski hill nearby. In my former life it was a great family place on weekends, with a T-bar lift and a small chalet serving hot chocolate and fries with gravy. I have many happy memories of winter afternoons there with my lost Selena in the ’80s, when she was eight or ten. Riding up the T-bar, she was so small that when the crossbar fitted behind her butt, as it should, it had to be behind my knees.

All of that was long gone...

Almost made me cry. For such a private man, for him to write like this - out of the three, we know the most about him - isn't that ironic?

• Like 5

When I was young, caught up in the solipsistic angst and insecurities of my teens and twenties, I truly believed life must get easier as you got older. Surely it must smooth out into some kind of plane, or groove, or even a rut. But of course I learned the opposite is true—the longer you last, life will just break your heart again and again.

All I know is that we really have no choice but to keep on breaking trail. Or, if we are fortunate, to follow in the tracks of those who have gone before, or of the young.

Leave it to Neil to put it into words.

• Like 2

—Rushgoober, 21 Aug 2013

Come back soon!

When he gets back tell him there's Rush news in there and make him read the bloody thing for once! Lol

With all due respect to the Goobster and I hope I don't come off as a fan boy but I'd be embarrassed to post something like that about Neil's blog.. I'd feel like people would think I was illiterate or something.. Wanting band info so bad but not being able to get past a few simple words to get it.. Ok a lot of words but still..

It's one thing to hope for Rush news but it's a big dis to Neil to basically say,"could someone read this for me and tell me what pertains to me??"

Neil's blog is where he writes about what he does on his days off.. If I wrote something I'd hate to have someone say that!

• Like 1

Nice blog from Neil. It's the only way we as fans of the band get some underserved insight into his personal life.

Thank you for sharing Neil.......because I wouldn't. And the fact he can open up like this is incredible given the events he has endured. Neil has always been (as well as the band in general) quite private.

The amount of insight we have been getting of late has been a treat. Between BTLS, the new CA blue ray and the Snakes and Arrows making of doc.....it's been really freaking cool as a life long fan to get this kind of access to the band that virtually had zero access for us as fans for 30 plus years.

Hey...if you find it boring....don't read it. Simple as that. And yes.....some of it is not so exciting....so what. They are not exciting people....they told us that LOL.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 4

Another day we all went tobogganing and sledding at a small abandoned ski hill nearby. In my former life it was a great family place on weekends, with a T-bar lift and a small chalet serving hot chocolate and fries with gravy. I have many happy memories of winter afternoons there with my lost Selena in the ’80s, when she was eight or ten. Riding up the T-bar, she was so small that when the crossbar fitted behind her butt, as it should, it had to be behind my knees.

Almost made me cry. For such a private man, for him to write like this - out of the three, we know the most about him - isn't that ironic?

Yes, definitely!

• Like 1

Not to me, shy people tend to let it out more when they're not face to face with someone. That's why we get so much writing from this guy..

• Like 2

I have always loved those words:

"Suddenly you were gone, among the lives, you left your mark upon!"

To bad the words are like thorns in Neil's heart now. I guess we will never hear "Afterimage" live again.

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Nice blog from Neil. It's the only way we as fans of the band get some underserved insight into his personal life.

Thank you for sharing Neil.......because I wouldn't. And the fact he can open up like this is incredible given the events he has endured. Neil has always been (as well as the band in general) quite private.

The amount of insight we have been getting of late has been a treat. Between BTLS, the new CA blue ray and the Snakes and Arrows making of doc.....it's been really freaking cool as a life long fan to get this kind of access to the band that virtually had zero access for us as fans for 30 plus years.

Hey...if you find it boring....don't read it. Simple as that. And yes.....some of it is not so exciting....so what. They are not exciting people....they told us that LOL.

Love your posts, Todem - you are one of the most level headed fans on this board.

Not to me, shy people tend to let it out more when they're not face to face with someone. That's why we get so much writing from this guy..

I don't know that he really is that shy. And how many times has he said in interviews that his private life is private, and that the fans don't own him?

I just find it odd that he would tell us so much. Too bad he can't tolerate us, because I would love to talk to him. He is well read, obviously very intelligent, and I would love to hear why he thinks the way he thinks about many things.