Prog Snobbery?

Ged Lent's sis

But the question that arose is an interesting one: :codger: Are you or have you ever been a prog snob!! :notworthy: :spitwater:

Answer the question! :smash:

:beathorse:

I used to be one, but then I got into classical and jazz. The stuff that the great composers and improvisers have done make the headiest of rock bands look like kids playing in a sandbox. :LOL: Not that I don't still love rock music -- of course I do. But if you're going for complexity and intricacy, rock doesn't compare to those genres.

• Like 1

I'd rather smoke some weed with alex lifeson or dave brock from hawkwind than have ian mackaye tell me why I'm a sheep and a moron for doing so

I'd rather smoke weed with Alex as well, and I don't even smoke weed!

Can you imagine me and you smoking weed?

I probably was a prog snob at one point, late teens...but it didn't last long. I got into jazz, which REALLY turned me into a snob for a while. :laughing guy:

That said... IMO it doesn't serve anyone who creates music to have a superior attitude about what they're into. Believing in it and striving to do something special is one thing, but to belittle others or other music forms is NOT where it's at. I don't love every genre of music but I like something in nearly every style.

• Like 2

You know who bugs me? Snob-snobs.

There are people who get so hostile toward others that have standards that it instantly becomes contentious. Yeah... so what, I don't like pop music. My preference leans toward music that's a little more thoughtful and technical: even if a little more of a chore and a little less chill...

That's just what I like. It's called having an opinion- not being a snob.

Don't be so snobbish about snobs.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 3

I prefer modern rnb/hip hop to prog right now.

Nothing comes close to Springsteen, Nightwish or Lacuna Coil.

Or classic emo.

I've made it very clear many times that I'm not really a superfan of prog, granted I do like a lot of prog bands.

Rush never, ever lost that "just three regular guys" vibe, even when they were writing huge 20 minute epics like Lamneth, 2112, and Hemispheres. They never believed they were superior to anybody, they never tried to show up anybody, they just did what they loved to do.

Edited by fraroc

I've made it very clear many times that I'm not really a superfan of prog, granted I do like a lot of prog bands.

Rush never, ever lost that "just three regular guys" vibe, even when they were writing huge 20 minute epics like Lamneth, 2112, and Hemispheres. They never believed they were superior to anybody, they never tried to show up anybody, they just did what they loved to do.

True.

But I like a band with a bit of an ego...a nice artistic ego, not a god complex.

But Rush is unique. With their talent they should have reason to think too much of themselves...but they don't and it is a big reason why I love them!

I'll be the first to admit that I am a total prog snob, it just that I am trapped in the body of a Carpenters / Bay City Rollers / ABBA fan ..

SOMEBODY, PLEASE, HELP ME

No you are awesome because you are not a snob at all.

You are open minded.

A snob is just a small minded idiot with too much love for their own high and mighty opinion.

• Like 2

True.

But I like a band with a bit of an ego...a nice artistic ego, not a god complex.

But Rush is unique. With their talent they should have reason to think too much of themselves...but they don't and it is a big reason why I love them!

I'm not sure I quite believe that. They did used to have a bit of snobbery in older days but in a good way. They wanted to keep on getting better as musicians and not just play 3 chord head banging radio hits.

• Like 1

It's been said many times before but Rush is one of those fans that never fit in any one category, but rather a multitude of categories. Sometimes I wonder if this is directly the reason why there was (and to an extent still is) such a polarizing effect of people either liking Rush or disliking Rush, even by other progressive rock fans. I've recently saw a hardcore Jethro Tull fan on Youtube give Rush a lot of shit for going new wave in the 80s, claiming that they sold out to the mainstream and I'm like "uh, no....they went new wave because they wanted to. Geddy was experimenting a lot with keyboards and their music reflected on that."

It's been said many times before but Rush is one of those fans that never fit in any one category, but rather a multitude of categories. Sometimes I wonder if this is directly the reason why there was (and to an extent still is) such a polarizing effect of people either liking Rush or disliking Rush, even by other progressive rock fans. I've recently saw a hardcore Jethro Tull fan on Youtube give Rush a lot of shit for going new wave in the 80s, claiming that they sold out to the mainstream and I'm like "uh, no....they went new wave because they wanted to. Geddy was experimenting a lot with keyboards and their music reflected on that."

Jethro Tull released A

Yeah...hardcore prog that is haha

I''ve heard some prog fans in all seriousness say.

"Gabriel never "sold out" like Collins!"

yea......Sledgehammer is SUCH a prog masterwork

Please, lol

Mick

Meh to both.

But only one did Tarzan...that film is BAE

Please, lol

Mick

Meh to both.

you got devote more time to early solo Gabriel.

your dismissing greatness........again, lol

Mick

Please, lol

Mick

Meh to both.

you got devote more time to early solo Gabriel.

your dismissing greatness........again, lol

Mick

No I don't like him. I respect him but I've tried his solo work and Genesis. Not a fan. Give me credit I tried. Every album recommended on this forum.

• Like 1

I know, I'm falling back into my "caring too much about others opinions" mindset, but as a Rush fan, it does bother me when somebody just says things that simply aren't true.

i think every one of us is a music snob to some Degree.

i know i am with Zappa Waits and captain beefheart, lol. i admit it. I think you have to be on some level however small.

Mick

Yes we are, but i prefer the term music elitist to music snob.

It makes me sound more intelligent.....

:)

• Like 1

I'm not a music snob!

It's not my fault that every song written after 1982 is terrible garbage!

• Like 1

I'm not a music snob!

It's not my fault that every song written after 1982 is terrible garbage!

'82? I wouldn't go that far. Maybe '81 at the latest.

I'll be the first to admit that I am a total prog snob, it just that I am trapped in the body of a Carpenters / Bay City Rollers / ABBA fan ..

• Like 1

I love it

And that drummer from Vivian Boys is just about the hottest thing ever

EDIT:

I've been due for a new obsession

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2