Metallica Revisited

What do you guys think of the new song? I think it could be shorter and I'm not crazy about the title, but it really does sound like something from AJFA. I'm holding out hope that the new album will be better than Death Magnetic.

I honestly just don't think these guys have the passion anymore. And as I said earlier, Lars is a horrible drummer now. Compared to other guys who were part of that 80s thrash scene, like Charlie Benante and Lonbardo, he's just terrible.. I have a hard time listening to them cause of his drumming

And Hetfields voice annoys me now.

So yeah, I guess I hate Metallica.. Haha

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

haven't heard the new song...I'm guessing it's 9 minutes long and called "The Pain That Crushed My Soul With Fury" or some stupid shit? and it'll be the shortest song on the record besides the 8 minute ballad?

What do you guys think of the new song? I think it could be shorter and I'm not crazy about the title, but it really does sound like something from AJFA. I'm holding out hope that the new album will be better than Death Magnetic.

Can't see it sounding anything like AJFA, it's just plain awful.

Yup. It sounds forced.

Yup. It sounds forced.

Yes, which is similar to the entire Death Magnetic album. Hopefully, the new songs and songs to come can be refined to flow naturally.

Edited by g under p

I feel like if the songs "flow naturally" it'll be like lulu or st anger or something. which is better/worse - an album of whatever "new ideas" they've come up with, or an album where they force every tune to sound like a bad AJFA b-side?

I think the band's creative fire is largely snuffed. Way too fat and happy and disinterested to be making this kind of music anymore. They treat recording like its a necessary evil; some kind of drudgery that they have to endure rather than because they simply cannot fathom not making music. I definitely believe that new material is often put off as long as it can be with these guys. Becoming the biggest thing ever certainly has its plushy perks, but there's something to be said for bands like Testament who never achieved anything close to that level of success....still plays in clubs that hold a few hundred people....and still make music like they've something to prove and something to say.

Listen to that demo again...and then now listen to this. It's like being on life support versus running marathon:

• Like 4

I honestly just don't think these guys have the passion anymore. And as I said earlier, Lars is a horrible drummer now. Compared to other guys who were part of that 80s thrash scene, like Charlie Benante and Lonbardo, he's just terrible.. I have a hard time listening to them cause of his drumming

Lars was never a good drummer.

I think the band's creative fire is largely snuffed. Way too fat and happy and disinterested to be making this kind of music anymore. They treat recording like its a necessary evil; some kind of drudgery that they have to endure rather than because they simply cannot fathom not making music. I definitely believe that new material is often put off as long as it can be with these guys. Becoming the biggest thing ever certainly has its plushy perks, but there's something to be said for bands like Testament who never achieved anything close to that level of success....still plays in clubs that hold a few hundred people....and still make music like they've something to prove and something to say.

Listen to that demo again...and then now listen to this. It's like being on life support versus running marathon:

Funny, I was going to use a Testement clip as an example as well. I just picked up the Dark Roots of Thrash DVD , and these guys are still bringing it in spades.

• Like 3

Lars was never a good drummer.

I think he worked for metallica, or at least he did his job (which can't be said now), but I've always wondered how they would've sounded with someone who could play a little better

Pro-shot footage of the new song:

http://www.reactionface.net/images/original/140.jpg

Eight minutes of absolute wankery. I'm not even going to bother pirating the new album when it comes out if it sounds anything like this.

I am the most stubborn-headed 80's Metallica thrash fan out there but lately their mid-90's music has grown on me like a fungus (it only took like 18 years to grow on me). I hated Load & Reload for years and years until recently and I decided to give them one last chance, and I think I "get" it now. Garage Inc. DISC 1 is what helped me alot. I can't really get into anything from St. Anger on, but Death Magnetic sounds ok. Maybe in about 10 years I'll finally get into DM.

I liked DM when it came out, but I haven't had a desire to listen to it in years. I know it's dumb to complain about song lengths on a Rush forum, but goddamn they need to stop with every new song being 7-9 minutes long. They're just not interesting enough to justify that. And now to say something nice...Creeping Death still rules.
  • Like 1

I liked DM when it came out, but I haven't had a desire to listen to it in years. I know it's dumb to complain about song lengths on a Rush forum, but goddamn they need to stop with every new song being 7-9 minutes long. They're just not interesting enough to justify that. And now to say something nice...Creeping Death still rules.

Iron Maiden has fallen into this as well.

The irony is duly noted. :D

That's what I love about bands like Rival Sons. They make a new album pretty regularly (about every 16-to-18 months which, today, is incredible)...and it's 10-ish songs at about four to four-and-a-half minutes each. Short but sweet...and few wasted moments (IMO).

So many albums are bloated and flabby in the CD era. More is great because you wait a long time, but more often means "more filler" too. I'll take a shorter, tauter record anymore.

never heard of rival sons, but I agree. old bands don't seem to realize that you don't have to fill up all the space on a CD to call it an album

I have a link on page 2 of this forum, if you're at all curious. (Non-metal...more classic styled hard rock)

Edited by Presto-digitation