Physiological Reaction to Hemispheres

Hemisteers

I just got done listening on headphones to Hemispheres, which I have been a huge fan of since 10 years ago when I was 15. I don't know if anyone here shares a similar reaction to this track, so I thought I would ask.

I seek music that takes you on a journey. From Beethoven's 5th and 7th symphonies, Holst's "The Planets", to Close to the Edge by Yes, and ... Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres tops them all in my opinion.

The middle part with the moody keyboards, flashbacks to Book I, all the way to "I feel a silent scream begin inside...". This part is so brilliant at setting an atmosphere. The keyboards are so interesting that they require study. and the lyrics set the stage for the ending perfectly. and RUSH explodes out of my headphones in one of the most amazing climaxes in music. When we find out Cygnus becomes the God of Balance the tears come. This is musical perfection my friends, and it's amazing to just sit there in wonder of it all.

I won't even attempt to describe the song musically because nothing I say will do it justice.

Sometimes I have to pause this track before Circumstances starts just to let it all soak in. After listening to this track of dozens and dozens of times, I can say it is just as perfect as the first time I heard it. It stirs up emotions in me that no other piece has ever done. Heart rate elevated, feeling as if I'm flying, butterflies in the stomach, and finally tears at the end.

Does anyone else have an experience to share?

• Like 3

Once the CD burner was purchased...I put AFTK and Hemispheres on the same disc, so I wouldn't have to pause in between....

Anyway.... I remember the first time I heard it (in my room the day it came out on vinyl, through headphones) I was amazed, and decided to for-go listening to the second side and listen to it again...I think if my mother walked into the room at that point in time she would have thought I was "taking something"! That album cover was the optimum choice when I sent one to get autographed by the band, and now it resides upon my wall!

• Like 2

I just think it is an awesome song. I get super chills at the musical outro right after WE WILL CALL YOU CYGNUS THE GOD OF BALANCE YOU SHAAAAALL BE.

I'm getting chills right now just thinking of it. I will have to go put it on.

• Like 2

As a disembodied spirit, I am dead and yet unborn!

:guitar:

Yes, I know the feeling.

• Like 2

Best. Song. Ever. I know what you guys are talking about. From the very beginning phasey guitar chord to the end it's an awesome journey. I don't remember when I first heard it but it's been my favorite Rush song to play bar none. It's too bad they didn't do more albums like this.
  • Like 5

"Sometimes I have to pause this track before Circumstances starts just to let it all soak in."

This is why God, in His wisdom, created the LP. Man, in his folly, digitized music and put it on a continuous play format. The greatest abomination of all is digitally compressed music.

That said, I listened to AFTK and Hemispheres on CD today, and I listen to compressed files in the car, so I am not saying I'm sinless. But, if I am really serious about listening to the music, I'll put on the LP. No artificial pauses needed. I recommend it.

• Like 1

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Hemispheres is the best Rush album ever. Every bar of every song is top shelf. But, the suite itself… effing rules ALL prog rock epics including: Supper’s Ready and Close to the Edge.
  • Like 4

Re physiological reaction (I would have never thought of putting it that way, but it fits), the passage -- of all of the many awesome Rush passages -- that has always hit me in the gut the hardest and made me stop and ponder/marvel, is the delicate second part of the middle instrument section of The Trees (goes from 2:18 to 2:53 in this upload). Why Alex will always be my favorite guitarist. Only David Gilmour comes close to creating in me a similar feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk1eEuNxg7U

Edited by Rutlefan

I feel that way about Hemispheres too. I've posted this before, but I'll post it again here, because even though it's not perfect it does express something vital that I feel about this particular piece of music. This is something I wrote for a meme a few years ago to answer the question "What is love?":

I've been having a problem with this one, because when I try to think about what I have to say about love and what it is, my brain flies off into hundreds of bright twinkling little pieces that all try to catch my eye and demand my attention, but none of which I can quite grab hold of, or even perhaps want to.

It's been said that "all you need is love," and although there might be a very broad sense in which that's true, it's definitely a tremendous oversimplification as applied to everyday life, relationships and communication. I much prefer the Cygnus view of the whole thing which acknowledges that although love does indeed bring laughter, music, joy and tears, and soothes your primal fears, without intellect and hard work there is nothing but spirits divided into blinded hemispheres, and suddenly we're back to music again. I think of that man trying to sing that song and how hard it was, of how he took on a challenge that tried to break him but he withstood it with stubbornness, passion and a hell of a strong diaphragm to create something that thirty-five years later makes my heart flutter and fortifies the strength of my soul to struggle towards life and achievement, and that is not quite a person and not quite an idea and not at all a tangible, definable, quantifiable entity of any kind, but it is...Love.

• Like 3

I just think it is an awesome song. I get super chills at the musical outro right after WE WILL CALL YOU CYGNUS THE GOD OF BALANCE YOU SHAAAAALL BE.

Just got the chills right now just reading that post!

• Like 2

As did I!

And now I have the rhythm part from just after that going through my head.

:heart:

• Like 1

As did I!

And now I have the rhythm part from just after that going through my head.

:heart:

Oh goodness! Me too! :)

• Like 1

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Hemispheres is the best Rush album ever. Every bar of every song is top shelf. But, the suite itself… effing rules ALL prog rock epics including: Supper’s Ready and Close to the Edge.

Prog: It's all about the "epics"!

Kind of why I never liked working close to where I lived...that morning and evening drive was worth it!

• Like 2

I got chills just reading that :D

• Like 1

By the way, next time you listen pay close attention to where the vocals are in the soundscape. As with many early Rush songs they change to emphasize certain elements of the song ;)

I would pay attention to it if I knew what that meant. Explain please.... :huh: :)

By the way, next time you listen pay close attention to where the vocals are in the soundscape. As with many early Rush songs they change to emphasize certain elements of the song ;)

I would pay attention to it if I knew what that meant. Explain please.... :huh: :)

It's easiest to do with headphones. Imagine the sound being a sphere around your head. Sometimes voice or any musical element can sound like it's coming from behind or to the left.

Hope that clarifies :)

It's easiest to do with headphones. Imagine the sound being a sphere around your head. Sometimes voice or any musical element can sound like it's coming from behind or to the left.

Hope that clarifies :)

Got it. Thanks...

Great album but I don't think age has been kind to "Hemispheres". LVS and The Trees are stronger, in my opinion.

All of the songs on the album kinda seem dated to me except LVS but who cares man I live in the 70's!

• Like 1

greatest record ever made...