Heard "Freewill" on the radio last night

GeminiRising79

What a colossal breath of fresh air it is to hear this musical style from Rush, in gross contrast to what's been produced over the past 14 years. The absolute clarity of music, distinct separation of instruments (like separate entities) combined with the grandiose brightness and positivity is so profoundly uplifting... Akin to a supernaturally strong, searing beam of light cast out of a thunderhead after a storm. I pine so badly for a return to this style..
  • Like 6

If you were a real Rush fan you would just play the song on disc, vinyl, or iTunes whenever the spirit moves you.

What a colossal breath of fresh air it is to hear this musical style from Rush, in gross contrast to what's been produced over the past 14 years. The absolute clarity of music, distinct separation of instruments (like separate entities) combined with the grandiose brightness and positivity is so profoundly uplifting... Akin to a supernaturally strong, searing beam of light cast out of a thunderhead after a storm. I pine so badly for a return to this style..

They did return to that style on the song Headlong Flight. They didn't return to the style of PRODUCTION that fits your tastes however.

Freewill comes on quite a bit on my local classic rock station. Along with the usual rotation of Limelight, Tom Sawyer, and The Spirit of Radio...But on very rare occasions I can sometimes catch Red Barchetta...that's the one that surprises me the most.

I don't think it"s sad, I totally get it. Geddy Lee commented that they have become better songwriters as the years have gone by....THAT I don't get.
  • Like 1

I don't think it"s sad, I totally get it. Geddy Lee commented that they have become better songwriters as the years have gone by....THAT I don't get.

I just think it's sad that this guy sits here and whines about how bad they've been for so long now instead of listening to something else.

You'd think that after hating everything that Rush has made since 1987, Mr. Rising would realize that they are no longer interested in making the type of music that he likes and that he should probably move on with his life.

I just think it's sad that this guy sits here and whines about how bad they've been for so long now instead of listening to something else.

You'd think that after hating everything that Rush has made since 1987, Mr. Rising would realize that they are no longer interested in making the type of music that he likes and that he should probably move on with his life.

I'll make that decision when the next album's released.

Hey let's start another Terry Brown thread...guaranteed to get 2000 hits

• Like 1

How many years now have you been hoping that? :)

Out of curiosity, which Rush albums do you actually like? I know that Permanent Waves makes your cut.

Oh, and what other music do you enjoy?

Also, I'm sorry for always jumping down your throat on all of your posts.

If you were a real Rush fan you would just play the song on disc, vinyl, or iTunes whenever the spirit moves you.

I can relate to what GR'79 was saying. I have a truck that only has radio and once in a while I catch Spirit or Freewill or Fly By Night and it seems like Rush just stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the pack of songs you hear on the radio. I heard Freewill a few months ago on the radio and I was rockin' out during the solo so hard that I should've been pulled over for disturbing the peace.

edit: I noticed after my post that I'm not sure if this was a thread about hearing Rush on the radio or how much Old Rush is better than New Rush.

Edited by Bastille Dave

Out of curiosity, which Rush albums do you actually like? I know that Permanent Waves makes your cut.

That's ok, thanks.

I like everything up to up to and including Power Windows, and a few things here and there on the following two albums. Many types of music from electronic, to soul/r&b, disco, and generally music from 60's thru 80's. No country or jazz tho! :)

That's ok, thanks.

I like everything up to up to and including Power Windows, and a few things here and there on the following two albums. Many types of music from electronic, to soul/r&b, disco, and generally music from 60's thru 80's. No country or jazz tho! :)

Cool stuff man. I've always found jazz interesting, but I've never "connected" with it, you know? I hear you on the country though!

The only thing that has me puzzled though is that you seem to have this real issue with Rush. I mean, the argument could be made that they've gone down the wrong path since the 80's, but it seems to me that their "turn" happened so long ago that expecting them to just go back to the way they used to be is beyond unrealistic.

That's ok, thanks.

No jazz? Really? If anything, Rush actually led me TO jazz because of their earlier tendencies to make songs long and drawn out. Off topic obviously, but I'm sure there's at least SOME jazz you must like?

That's ok, thanks.

Who the f**k cares what you like?

That's ok, thanks.

Now, now, let's be nice…

That's ok, thanks.

Cool stuff man. I've always found jazz interesting, but I've never "connected" with it, you know? I hear you on the country though!

The only thing that has me puzzled though is that you seem to have this real issue with Rush. I mean, the argument could be made that they've gone down the wrong path since the 80's, but it seems to me that their "turn" happened so long ago that expecting them to just go back to the way they used to be is beyond unrealistic.

I'm not saying that they need to replicate the old stuff, but to bring their music out of the muck and refine and recreate the instrumental clarity they had. It seems that Rush began their descent after Terry was removed from the equation. I felt that P/G was a great album, and to a lesser degree, Power Windows, and then things logarithmetically declined (imo). I interpret this trailing, successive phenomena as Terry's residual influence (Terry-over, if u will). Who knows, perhaps it was just Rush's time to decline when he left. It seems to me they initially started running low on resources during Power Windows.

As for jazz (esp, Oracle)I have to shamedly admit to liking instrumental smooth jazz, in early 2003, when I first heard it playing in an airport as I saw my then-gf off on a flight to Bangkok. It had a soothing and positive feel to it that was enjoyable att, unlike the irritating and repetitive erratic/catatonic feel of its original bullchit form (sorry).

Edited by GeminiRising79

That's ok, thanks.

Jesus Christ, bro, CTFD.

That's ok, thanks.

I'm not saying that they need to replicate the old stuff, but to bring their music out of the muck and refine and recreate the instrumental clarity they had. It seems that Rush began their descent after Terry was removed from the equation. I felt that P/G was a great album, and to a lesser degree, Power Windows, and then things logarithmetically declined (imo). I interpret this trailing, successive phenomena as Terry's residual influence (Terry-over, if u will). Who knows, perhaps it was just Rush's time to decline when he left. It seems to me they initially started running low on resources during Power Windows.

As for jazz, I have to shamedly admit to liking instrumental smooth jazz, in early 2003, when I first heard it playing in an airport as I saw my then-gf off on a flight to Bangkok. It had a soothing and positive feel to it that was enjoyable att, unlike the irritating and repetitive erratic/catatonic feel of its original bullchit form (sorry).

I have a great appreciation for really smooth jazz or hard hitting jazz (see "Cobblestones", by Kris Berg. Really short but fun piece I got to play in high school http://listeninglab.stantons.com/title/cobblestones/239790/ ).

Edited by BowlCity

My classic rock radio station has the usual: Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio. Limelight, Fly By Night, Freewill, and Closer To The Heart, and occasionally, Red Barchetta but that's more "late at night" material for them. One time they played Subdivisions and I almost pooped myself.

My active rock radio station, among all the teenage angst-ridden punk, music that people with hugeass ear gauges like (Five Finger Death Punch and Korn), and that usual Drop W tuning stuff, has been playing the crap out of The Wreckers and Headlong Flight since CA came out over a year ago. They've also played Stick It Out, Far Cry, the stuff from the classic rock station above, and Working Them Angels all in regular rotation, with the biggest surprise being Stick It Out. One afternoon they pulled out Test For Echo which was a pleasant surprise!

The dining center at my college (Iowa State) has a bunch of different genre playlists going on. They've played La Villa Strangiato and 2112 Overture/Temples Of Syrinx before. I just have to go in the morning if I want to hear that cause around lunch and dinner time they switch it back to the top 40 crap.

And I don't even live in Canada.

Edited by BowlCity