Studio Albums VS Live Albums with Rush

YYZumbi

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer to listen on? Studio or Live albums with Rush?

I am almost only listening to live albums with Rush.

Dosent matter if its official live albums or bootlegs, as long as its live.

Its so much more energy on the live albums.

Sometimes I listen to studio albums, but not much.

So what do you like the most? Studio or Live? And why?

I voted live, though that's not true of A Farewell to Kings through Moving Pictures, and then from Vapor Trails on. True of everything else, especially when it comes to All the World's a Stage material.

Why? ATWAS fills out the earlier material perfectly. Still my favorite live album ever.

AFTK through MP are already perfect, doing them live just makes the material different, not better (though I do like the extra "Wheels within wheels" refrain in the later live versions of Natural Science).

After MP but before VT, lacking the weight of their "classic" material, the songs are helped by the live production, for me.

lastly, being of the pro-VT and S&A ilk, I like them just as they are. CA is already pretty heavy so I prefer the clarity of the studio to live.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 5

I have a hard time listening to the synth era bootlegs of the band because the sound effects are so jarringly incorporated into the act. However, I prefer many of the live performances of the same songs on official releases because some balls are added.

I listen to both for what they're worth. I like AtWaS and other early boots because of how much more spontaneity and power and excitement was in those shows. I also like the live stuff before MP where Geddy had his voice and the sound didn't become too polished. But some live recordings are too polished (ESL), some have bad sound (RiR), and some have bad vocals (TMT). They all have their moments and I listen to them all, but outside of the 1974-1980 timeframe, I listen to studio albums far more than live recordings. And even in that time it's probably 60-40 in favor of studio.

I voted live, though that's not true of A Farewell to Kings through Moving Pictures, and then from Vapor Trails on. True of everything else, especially when it comes to All the World's a Stage material.

Why? ATWAS fills out the earlier material perfectly. Still my favorite live album ever.

AFTK through MP are already perfect, doing them live just makes the material different, not better (though I do like the extra "Wheels within wheels" refrain in the later live versions of Natural Science).

After MP but before VT, lacking the weight of their "classic" material, the songs are helped by the live production, for me.

lastly, being of the pro-VT and S&A ilk, I like them just as they are. CA is already pretty heavy so I prefer the clarity of the studio to live.

Damn you have good taste. Being a Marylander I am not surprised..... :cheers:
  • Like 1

I prefer studio albums by a mile. The live albums are okay once in a while to mix it up but I just prefer the perfection of the studio releases.
  • Like 1

Live, there is just more energy to the music, although ESL is an exception to that and possibly the worst live album ever recorded. Thankfully there is the St. Louis 1980 bootleg that is infinitely better than ESL, if only it was the complete show. Although strangely I am preferring Clockwork Angels studio to live, I think the orchestra is too high in the live mix but then I also thought that was the case at the second CA live show I saw so at least the live record is accurate.
  • Like 1

Whoa, good (and tough!) question. I love live Rush. I just checked my "Live" folder, and I have something like 2000 live versions or so of Rush songs, so I am a bit OCD about it. :) I love the live renditions of songs outside their era, but also within (I love the heavy PoW of CT tour but I also love the punchy, thinner sounding versions from the 86 tour, for example). But I also love the studio albums so much. But then there's the 90's era, which I only really like through live shows. Gah. I need to agonize about this for a while before I can make a decision, haha.

Studio easily, examples would be Exit Stage Left which is bass heavy and disappointing despite having an amazing song list and Rush in Rio terrible production, too much crowd noise. Even the best live albums though like Different Stages and ATWAS pale in comparison to the studio albums.

For me, it’s still hard to beat the Live bootleg in St Louis, 1980. Someone from this site (I forget who, shamefully) was cool enough to mail me a CD of that show. I listen to it twice a week.

Rush is great in both studio and on the stage, but if I had to pick one – stage. Nothing like Rush live… but, if I may… BEFORE 1983.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Studio albums. Those are the versions of the songs that I feel in love with first. I rarely listen to any live stuff from any band now. I'll give the live stuff a few listens and then I more than likely won't ever bother with it again. The live stuff just doesn't seem as special to me anymore as it did when I was younger. Maybe it's because I can watch live videos on youtube any time I want or the fact that i've seen Rush live ten times. Whatever it is, I don't bother with the live albums too much anymore.
  • Like 1

I prefer live albums because they are like a mixtape that the band made for you. It gets the hits in, some new material and some rarities in every batch.

Yeah different stages obviously a great album but my old show of hands video still my fav go-to rush experience when i need it, la villa strangiato mannn awesome.

Yeah different stages obviously a great album but my old show of hands video still my fav go-to rush experience when i need it, la villa strangiato mannn awesome.

For me, it’s still hard to beat the Live bootleg in St Louis, 1980. Someone from this site (I forget who, shamefully) was cool enough to mail me a CD of that show. I listen to it twice a week.

Rush is great in both studio and on the stage, but if I had to pick one – stage. Nothing like Rush live… but, if I may… BEFORE 1983.

Thank you!

Probably Blue J. He sent me one too.... :) :d13:

I like live albums because they are the band actually PLAYING the song, and it's not put together...once I learned HOW to record a studio album, the whole thing sort of felt "cheap" to me.

Studio albums are "works of art" takes a lot of time and effort to perfect it, and make it the one "piece" that it is.

Live albums (whether official or not) are documents of time and individual performances....each night can be different...each night has it's good sides, and bad sides.

When I started collecting bootlegs, I was thrilled that I was able to see the stuff that wasn't officially released, and getting to hear things like Hemispheres played LIVE was just a great thing!

The other cool thing was getting shows that I've attended! (and now after some concerts, you just need to wait a day or two to download it...case in point, I went to see Sting and Paul Simon on Sunday, I downloaded the show on Tuesday!)

But I love live!

I've listened to very little live stuff, but this thread has me thinking I should give it another try. I usually veer away from live Rush because I find that I really notice the issues Geddy has with his voice and that detracts from my enjoyment. Funny though, I don't notice the problems when I see the band live, but that could be either because it's a good night for him, or maybe the adrenaline is taking over. I haven't even heard ATWAS since I was a teenager (30+ years ago) so maybe I should give it another go...

I've listened to very little live stuff, but this thread has me thinking I should give it another try. I usually veer away from live Rush because I find that I really notice the issues Geddy has with his voice and that detracts from my enjoyment. Funny though, I don't notice the problems when I see the band live, but that could be either because it's a good night for him, or maybe the adrenaline is taking over. I haven't even heard ATWAS since I was a teenager (30+ years ago) so maybe I should give it another go...

Geddy's voice aside, most bands sound shitty on live recordings but Rush is definitely an exception to that.

The only live albums I listen to are from Rush, Thin Lizzy, UFO and maybe Deep Purple But If I'm listening to Zeppelin for example, it HAS to be a studio album.

Depends on the situation, I guess. There are some songs where I think the studio version is pure shit (anything off of Presto) and there are some songs that just aren't as good on the album as they are live (Subdivisions, especially RIGHT when Geddy jumps onto the bass guitar at the first chorus, go listen to the Clockwork Angels Tour version and you'll know what I mean)