Different Stages Missing Songs.....

agubrizbassman

I know Different Stages came out in 1998, but i barely bought it a few months ago :P ......... and i always had in my mind "They only played 3 T4E songs on the T4E Tour?!?!? *Note I'm still a teen and obviously didn't remember the T4E Tour...* But i did some research and it showed they played about half the album, which some of you already know... but why did they not include the others aswell as other classics?

I'm thinking, since the other past Live albums also excluded songs from the tour, then they would go to same direction....... any other theories why?

Well, Geddy says DS was "recorded over a span of 20 years, primarily during 3 tours" in the liner notes. They played 5 TFE songs on the TFE tour, but it had to share space with the Counterparts tour on the first two discs. They made cuts to make room for 2112. :)
  • Like 1

Years ago, it was NEVER customary to put out the whole show of a tour when releasing a live album or video. Note that this is the case with all Rush live releases prior to the Vapor Trails tour.

This is true with all artists. I'm thinking part of the reason was the cost - although I'm speculating and don't know specifics. I think with digital technology it's cheaper now to record and release a complete show.

I DO wish, though, that Rush would somehow release all of those "forgotten" songs that were left off on those old live releases. It would make a killer disc.

Clem

• Like 1

I DO wish, though, that Rush would somehow release all of those "forgotten" songs that were left off on those old live releases. It would make a killer disc.

That would be amazing! :yes:

And if the recordings still exist and are archived, release most if not all of the remaining songs they've played live that have yet to be included in a live album.

They will. That's what will come out after they hang it up. They've said there is nothing in the vault as far as studio songs go, but there are hundreds of hours of live material.

They will. That's what will come out after they hang it up. They've said there is nothing in the vault as far as studio songs go, but there are hundreds of hours of live material.

So let's speculate what would be on such a compilation:

First, I think everything they've performed live from 1976-1981 has been "officially" released with the exception of the song "Hemispheres". I don't know if I'd want anything prior to 76 - as I'm guessing quality wouldn't be good - but I could be wrong. So that would include:

1.Hemispheres

2.Chemistry (this was done at a few shows. Right?)

3.Countdown

4.Afterimage

5.Kid Gloves

6.Red Lenses

7.Lock and Key

8.Prime Mover (this was on the ASOH video, but not on any official live audio release)

9.Superconductor

10.Scars

11.War Paint

12.Double Agent

13.Cold Fire

14.Half the World

15.Limbo

16.Virtuality

17.Time and Motion (maybe - i thought they did this a couple of times)

18.Ceiling Unlimited (see #17)

Am I missing anything? I excluded the two Fear songs since the GUP video was made into an audio recording (via itunes, rhapsody, etc.)

Clem

If you remember, in some of the interviews for Moving Pictures, the band mentioned that they were thinking about putting out a live album for the Permanent Wave tour, but decided to jump back into the studio...so MY guess is that there are live album quality masters somewhere of tunes from THAT tour! (Hemispheres in it's entirety would be a dream come true for me!)

Also remember another interview at some point when everyone and their mother was releasing a box set, that during an interview with the band (or someone in the band) that box sets were a "post mortem" sort of release, so I wouldn't really expect anything like that unless their attitude has changed, or they decide to help with their hiatus, and just release the live box with the stuff they haven't put out yet...who knows...we can hope...

Years ago, it was NEVER customary to put out the whole show of a tour when releasing a live album or video. Note that this is the case with all Rush live releases prior to the Vapor Trails tour.

This is true with all artists. I'm thinking part of the reason was the cost - although I'm speculating and don't know specifics. I think with digital technology it's cheaper now to record and release a complete show.

Clem

I don't think it has to do with digital as it did the formats of the time. In ye olden days, you only had records and cassettes. A double LP or a cassette could only hold 90-95 minutes so I think that is why live releases were typically in the 80-90 minute range, whereas your typical show would be around 2 hours or a little over. I don't know why live videos from the '80s never had the full show, I would guess that home video was relatively new at that time and the industry was scared that people wouldn't go to concerts anymore if they could watch the whole show at home.

This topic is the reason I have averted getting different stages. They skipped some key songs I would love to have on any live album like The Big Money (with Wipeout included), Virtuality, and Force Ten. Thankfully the bootleg Bigger and Better in Texas satisfies.

Originally, Different Stages was supposed to be released without Show Don't Tell and The Analog Kid from the Counterparts Tour (The advance CDs did not include these songs.) before the fans complained and Geddy added them.

The Japanese version of this also adds Force Ten and has replica A Farewell To Kings and Test for Echo tourbooks.

Fancy Dancer

Garden Road

Bad Boy

Can't Fight It

Not Fade Away

They could all be released on disc.

Fancy Dancer

Garden Road

Bad Boy

Can't Fight It

Not Fade Away

Did they ever record those in studio? They were barely able to record the first album.

They won't release an album without some of the standards, so we'll get versions of Tom Sawyer, et al from the vault.

Fancy Dancer

Garden Road

Bad Boy

Can't Fight It

Not Fade Away

Did they ever record those in studio? They were barely able to record the first album.

They won't release an album without some of the standards, so we'll get versions of Tom Sawyer, et al from the vault.

They released Can't Fight It and Not Fade Away.