Excuse me, do you have a few minutes to talk about Rush?

gudbuytjane

I kind of feel like I spend a lot of my life looking for opportunities to talk about Rush, especially with non-fans. And in my immediate social world there aren't a lot of Rush fans. I hang around a lot of indie rock folks, punks, and I even know some people who are fairly successful in genres I just don't listen to (haha, at least they know I'm hanging out with them because I like them as people, because I rarely listen to their music. Also I convinced my one friend who is like an indie alt punk folk act to play a cover of TSOR for my birthday once!). Anyway, this is connected to my deep love of the band, and my sadness for those who haven't given them a chance, because hello awesome called.

I think I've made a few converts, too, which is kind of exciting, and among people who previously would be snotty about the band, I'm sure. :)

Am I just weird, or do other folks do this too? I mean, I'm also that person who is always excitedly telling people about albums they should check out, but with Rush it feels like a far more serious endeavor. I am seriously looking to proselytize to the unwashed masses! Tell me a life without Rush wouldn't be made better with Rush? :D

• Like 3

When I was much younger I felt this way. This is the way it made me feel :banghead: . I tried and tried. Now as an older person I have lots of Rush shirts and gear and wear them quite often. I am so proud too do so. Truth is I rarely hear comments about them either. I think in 3+ years only 1 person has ever commented on my AFTK tattoo. Oh well. I will continue to represent and it is that much more special when someone is interested..... :)
  • Like 3

In my day-to-day world i am the biggest Rush fan I know. I know a couple dudes who like Rush alot but not like I do. And then I tell them that I aint nowhere near obsessed like the Rush fans I meet on here. The Rush fandom I am exposed to on TRF keeps me humble. And informed.
  • Like 3

In my day-to-day world i am the biggest Rush fan I know. I know a couple dudes who like Rush alot but not like I do. And then I tell them that I aint nowhere near obsessed like the Rush fans I meet on here. The Rush fandom I am exposed to on TRF keeps me humble. And informed.

Well said....

I used to try and turn some people on to their music and was even successful sometimes, but now not so much. Rush's success over the last 5-10 years has already far surpassed where I thought they would ever go as far as mainstream.(I guess my work did something:) It's still a band that you either get or you don't. Those of us that do totally understand. World's biggest cult band is a description that is right on the mark it seems.
  • Like 1

I have several friends that are casual Rush fans but nobody that's nearly as obsessed with them as I am. I've tried turning people onto the band over the years but for the most part it doesn't take. They never much get beyond the point of saying they're just okay. I don't know if maybe you have to be exposed to them at a particular point in your life or what it is.
  • Like 1

Rush fans? Us? Now where did you get that idea? :D

Seriously, though, I think the Rush fandom is one of those that never lets go once you're into it. I'm glad to have not only found some wicked awesome music, but also found people I can talk to who have a sense of community about it. When I was a teenager, I was taking guitar lessons and I asked my teacher if he could teach any of their songs. He flat out said no because he thought they sucked. Whenever I talked to my uncle who also plays, he also said in no uncertain terms that he felt that they sucked. They said that the songs sounded the same and that Geddy's voice was horrible. So I was a fan on and off for a while until I finally saw that I wasn't alone by far. So yeah, I'm a convert.

When I was a teenager, I was taking guitar lessons and I asked my teacher if he could teach any of their songs. He flat out said no because he thought they sucked.

WTF you pay him to teach you how to play. And he comes out with that lame excuse LMFAO

Prime Mover "Can you please teach me how to play La Villa Strangiato?"

Guitar teaches {craps in pants} "Ah..no..they suck...hey let's learn Polly Wolly doodle!".

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 1

If you just keep on showing your love of Rush, then it will touch someone. I had a sister who was crazy about them since high school and I just didn't get them then, later enjoyed R30 concert with her for her birthday, still a bit blase about them. Then I meet a friend who is a major fan and after casual talk about them with her, I started listening to them. Became a bigger fan than my sister in the end..we went to Clockwork Angels together. So it can happen in strange ways... :haz: :rush:
  • Like 3

If you just keep on showing your love of Rush, then it will touch someone. I had a sister who was crazy about them since high school and I just didn't get them then, later enjoyed R30 concert with her for her birthday, still a bit blase about them. Then I meet a friend who is a major fan and after casual talk about them with her, I started listening to them. Became a bigger fan than my sister in the end..we went to Clockwork Angels together. So it can happen in strange ways... :haz: :rush:

I went to my first Rush gig just to tell a long-term Rush-fan friend that I'd seen them and still didn't like them, and let myself in for a lifetime of "I told you so!" :D :LOL:

• Like 3

I have two friends who are huge Rush fans, and one in particular is a HUGE fan ... and like me they are both female! I also have a small handful of male friends who are fans but they don't seem quite as into the band as I am.

I have asked other friends "Do you like Rush?" and they answer I keep hearing is "Not as much as you." Which I suppose is why I gravitated here.

• Like 2

Among my group of friends, I've probably moved some from "never heard of Rush" to "I like their radio friendly songs and they put on a great show", but none of my friends are really hardcore. I do have a grammar school friend who lives close to me now. From 1994-2011 we almost never saw each other, but after learning he is a big fan of Rush, we hang out more and see a couple of concerts.

Also, about getting comments on Rush shirts/tats...on weekends I'm out with my kids and there's a 50% chance I have a rush shirt on. I probably get a comment a month about it "nice shirt" or "I love those guys" or "live is the best way to enjoy those guys".

Among my group of friends, I've probably moved some from "never heard of Rush" to "I like their radio friendly songs and they put on a great show", but none of my friends are really hardcore. I do have a grammar school friend who lives close to me now. From 1994-2011 we almost never saw each other, but after learning he is a big fan of Rush, we hang out more and see a couple of concerts.

Also, about getting comments on Rush shirts/tats...on weekends I'm out with my kids and there's a 50% chance I have a rush shirt on. I probably get a comment a month about it "nice shirt" or "I love those guys" or "live is the best way to enjoy those guys".

A 50% chance you will have a Rush shirt on? And I thought I was the the only one. For me its like having the same t-shirt in a multitude of colors and trying to decide each day which color to wear. I remember one day out with my wife and 3 different people at 3 different stores commented on my Time Machine tour shirt. After the 3rd one my wife was like "damn". Truth is I would say I get a comment less than once a month on average. At the gym with my very bold Rush jerseys and shirts only one person (an employee) has ever said anything....
  • Like 1

I am talking about Rush way to much, people are tired on me because of that. :P Its all Rush, Rush, Rush! Hahaha! :)

Maybe I should stop?

Oh I LOVE the Geddy picture in your signature!

• Like 1

I am talking about Rush way to much, people are tired on me because of that. :P Its all Rush, Rush, Rush! Hahaha! :)

Maybe I should stop?

Oh I LOVE the Geddy picture in your signature!

Thank you, my dad took the picture last time we saw Rush. :)

If you wanna see more pictures, you can send me a private message. :)

When I was a teenager, I was taking guitar lessons and I asked my teacher if he could teach any of their songs. He flat out said no because he thought they sucked.

:eh:

Sounds like a competent musician to me. :facepalm:

• Like 1

A 50% chance you will have a Rush shirt on? And I thought I was the the only one. For me its like having the same t-shirt in a multitude of colors and trying to decide each day which color to wear. I remember one day out with my wife and 3 different people at 3 different stores commented on my Time Machine tour shirt. After the 3rd one my wife was like "damn". Truth is I would say I get a comment less than once a month on average. At the gym with my very bold Rush jerseys and shirts only one person (an employee) has ever said anything....

I have so many T-shirts and I can rarely wear them (friggin' work dress codes), so I end up cycling through my 12 Rush tshirts most weekends. Certainly if I have the original Rush logo shirt on I get more comments than if I have my Snakes and Arrows tshirt on. My Zep zip-hoody with an orange-burnt swan song logo gets more comments than all my Rush stuff combined, but Rush still gets some love. Perhaps you look too intimidating.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

I had a poker party sat night and one of the people who came was a big fan. Not as big as yours truly but a fan indeed. During the break I gave him the grand tour of my office, which is wall to wall Rush stuff. It really is a living organism. It sometimes gets a little crazy.

It was nice to see his jaw drop. We talked for about 20 mins and were late getting back to the game. He had se the 2 times in the 80's. It was just cool to talk Rush.

• Like 1

I have so many T-shirts and I can rarely wear them (friggin' work dress codes), so I end up cycling through my 12 Rush tshirts most weekends. Certainly if I have the original Rush logo shirt on I get more comments than if I have my Snakes and Arrows tshirt on. My Zep zip-hoody with an orange-burnt swan song logo gets more comments than all my Rush stuff combined, but Rush still gets some love. Perhaps you look too intimidating.

Intimidating? Thats the first time I have heard that one to describe me.... :) Edited by Narpski