Autism

GhostGirl

It's really hard for me to come to the forum at all these days, and even harder for me to see this thread used as a place to complain about injuries caused by an autistic (or PDD-NOS) individual. With the struggles we are having at home, I don't know if I can visit the thread too often right now. It depresses me.

I'm so sorry to hear that GG.

It's really hard for me to come to the forum at all these days, and even harder for me to see this thread used as a place to complain about injuries caused by an autistic (or PDD-NOS) individual. With the struggles we are having at home, I don't know if I can visit the thread too often right now. It depresses me.

How was I at all complaining? That's the last angle I take.

I suppose it's just my skewed perception then.

Somehow, coming here to talk about being hit in the head and wondering if any permanent damage had been done, talking about "battle scars," and a link to pictures of your bruises gave me that impression.

• Like 1

Somehow, coming here to talk about being hit in the head and wondering if any permanent damage had been done, talking about "battle scars," and a link to pictures of your bruises gave me that impression.

Hope you're doing ok GG. I know you're having a rough time, sending love your way.

Those were weird posts, definitely.

Those were weird posts, definitely.

:yes: Very weird post.

I started this thread years ago. I've used it as a venting place, and a place to look for support.

It may be "my" thread but I've always welcomed anyone to post. I've found it hard to read some of this recent stuff, and I guess that's my thing...but never EVER let it be said that I don't love my son more than my own life, or that I have anything but admiration and sympathy for anyone living with autism.

• Like 1

:(

S'okay. I'm better now. A couple of decent behavior days and two nights of sleep does wonders for my disposition. :hug2:

S'okay. I'm better now. A couple of decent behavior days and two nights of sleep does wonders for my disposition. :hug2:

You are still talking about Kerry - correct? Was he better in football? I have had 2 Autistic kids play that I got to coach, one was extremely nice and didn't have any aggression, but was by far the biggest kid on the team. The other was more aggressive, but did what he wanted to do much of the time. He got better as the season went on, and his father told be he saw a marked difference at home too. He seemed to think the discipline helped him. I miss our chats about Kerry playing football....

You are still talking about Kerry - correct? Was he better in football? I have had 2 Autistic kids play that I got to coach, one was extremely nice and didn't have any aggression, but was by far the biggest kid on the team. The other was more aggressive, but did what he wanted to do much of the time. He got better as the season went on, and his father told be he saw a marked difference at home too. He seemed to think the discipline helped him. I miss our chats about Kerry playing football....

Hey...actually, Kerry is my older son who is in the gifted program and doing great - his dad misses him playing football too! He is in marching band, hoping to make the drumline this year. He has shifted his interests to music and now plays guitar and bass too. :)

Stephen is my younger son, and he is the one with autism. :) Unfortunately he is just too low functioning cognitively to play a sport.

Hey...actually, Kerry is my older son who is in the gifted program and doing great - his dad misses him playing football too! He is in marching band, hoping to make the drumline this year. He has shifted his interests to music and now plays guitar and bass too. :)

Stephen is my younger son, and he is the one with autism. :) Unfortunately he is just too low functioning cognitively to play a sport.

Sorry - I didn't know you had 2! That's too bad. I remember you said Kerry wasn't playing football and moved to the drums last year when he went into HS.

:ebert: Amazing what sleep can do. :)

Sorry - I didn't know you had 2! That's too bad. I remember you said Kerry wasn't playing football and moved to the drums last year when he went into HS.

No worries. :)

:) :hug2:

Fair game. How about one great positive thing to share then.

There's one student who inspires me... He's 12 years old, but he knows more ecological facts than the majority of our staff and teachers. He's always asking me questions and half the time I don't know the answer, so I say "you tell me", and he'll usually find some sort of explanation, half the time then (so this happens 1/4 of the time I guess) he knew the exact answer to his question. When riding bikes in the morning he'll ask why training wheels are important, "they keep you steady and safe from tipping" to which he'll ask more questions, more specific details, obviously going into physics. He asks why when he pushes the pedals the tire spins, and then he asks questions about friction. It's great to see him apply his knowledge, even when we're doing an activity that isn't supposed to be academic.

My internship ended today. I work in the afterschool program and hope in time that I'll get a higher position so I can interact and experience things with this kid, as well as many others as they grow. This kid is most notable, though there are many others I'm interested in and have formed relations with, and I'm patient and empathetic with all.

I need to focus on studying, and even studying extra circularly. Maybe if I ease up enough time I'll be able to outsmart the said kid in ecology! Then I'd really be his hero! This kid, my 20th mark, the pressure I get here correlated with the pressure I, and which we all face out in the real world (I'm not trying to play poor lil ol me at this point) it's all part of why I'm making big life changes... I can only go into so much without going into my life story and breaching confidentiality...

I was excited when I posted about the injury I got with from the teenage student.. To me, it proved my conviction that I enjoy this enough to face any cost. Changing diapers, getting injuries (still don't want any head injuries), it's all the hard work but to me it proves that this really is my passion and my purpose.

As for the Goodbye thread I didn't read any responses beyond my 2nd, more respectful departing post... Just PM me if there really is something you think I should know, I'll log back in here next Friday to check ones I get, if any.. Positive or negative it's fine by me... I get the feeling this obviously it isn't the last of me, but I do need to brush this website away from my life right now..

So I'm calling it a hiatus.

Oh, and sorry for that original post in the Goodbye thread GhostGirl... I really am, I just got pissed.

I started this thread years ago. I've used it as a venting place, and a place to look for support.

It may be "my" thread but I've always welcomed anyone to post. I've found it hard to read some of this recent stuff, and I guess that's my thing...but never EVER let it be said that I don't love my son more than my own life, or that I have anything but admiration and sympathy for anyone living with autism.

Thank you. Sorry for similarly skewing your intent. :hug2:

And for one last time sorry about my meltdown. Fortunately, that was my third revision of the post, and each time the post got less intense and had less personal attacks... By the third and final it had no direct personal attacks which is good I think. I'm on an average's persons level, at this point in my life everything indicates such... This was all happening online and pacing in my room. My parents haven't had to deal with any serious meltdowns of mine since December 2011, and I'm very happy to have such caring parents and be able to meet so many other patient loving parents.

Violent son with autism inspires family to build centre. Touching story:

http://ow.ly/kutEJ

Have you ever had a meltdown? I think most people to do at some point in their life and as you descend down the ASD meltdowns become more frequent.

Sort of, back in college I got really drunk over a bad incident in my life. Luckily it lasted only a day or so.

To be indulgent and post a personal update:

We made it through the summer and things have vastly improved for my son, with school resuming and a change in his meds/dosing schedule (that I researched and convinced the dr to approve). We're still not where we want to be, but I'm thankful we are doing so much better.

It was the worst few months of our lives and not one of the four members of my family will ever be the same again.

I completely respect the opinions and view of people with high functioning autism or Aspergers who do not want to be "cured," but I re-iterate my willingness to hack off my own arm with a rusty knife if it would cure my Stephen. No child or family should have to live through what we did this summer.

• Like 3

I'll refrain from the usual platitudes - I know people are well-meaning when they spout crap like "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger". They might be right but that doesn't mean you don't want to punch them in the throat.

But I am glad the maelstrom that has defined your life for the past few months has abated. Good for you for insisting on trying a new medication protocol, and I hope it continues to work.

• Like 1

To be indulgent and post a personal update:

We made it through the summer and things have vastly improved for my son, with school resuming and a change in his meds/dosing schedule (that I researched and convinced the dr to approve). We're still not where we want to be, but I'm thankful we are doing so much better.

It was the worst few months of our lives and not one of the four members of my family will ever be the same again.

I completely respect the opinions and view of people with high functioning autism or Aspergers who do not want to be "cured," but I re-iterate my willingness to hack off my own arm with a rusty knife if it would cure my Stephen. No child or family should have to live through what we did this summer.

:hug2:

Bumping my old thread for an update.

Stephen is 14 now and in many ways, is much the same as ever...still a preschooler in his mind, while his body keeps growing. We have him fairly stable behaviorally right now, with the help of meds.

The latest kink, though, has been tough to accept. He had his first grand mal (tonic-clonic) seizure on April 6. It was the single most frightening thing I have ever been through, ever.

He's had none since then, but we just don't know - he may never have another one or he may have them again and again. No further testing or any new meds unless it becomes a pattern.

• Like 1

Bumping my old thread for an update.

Stephen is 14 now and in many ways, is much the same as ever...still a preschooler in his mind, while his body keeps growing. We have him fairly stable behaviorally right now, with the help of meds.

The latest kink, though, has been tough to accept. He had his first grand mal (tonic-clonic) seizure on April 6. It was the single most frightening thing I have ever been through, ever.

He's had none since then, but we just don't know - he may never have another one or he may have them again and again. No further testing or any new meds unless it becomes a pattern.

I cannot even begin to imagine how terrifying that was, Belle. Hard to believe there isn't a medication that would prevent another from occuring, even though he's only had one seizure. Expecting you to white-knuckle while you wait for another seizure and THEN doing something about it seems unreasonable to me. There's a bazillon medications on the market. Surely, there's anti-seizure med that can be used on a maintenance schedule for Stephen.