Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 10 2012, 06:01 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Aug 9 2012, 12:55 AM)
I have actually been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome when I was in 3rd grade. People need to realize that it is a gift, and absolutely not a curse.

What people need to realize, also, is that when someone has Autism, they should not give up what so ever (like many parents do). It saddens me to see that a lot of that happening. When I was diagnosed, many people went up to my parents and told them that "They were sorry." and that "Oh, it must be rough knowing that Austin has Autism.". It's stupid, and honestly, pretty insulting.

So, my parents just said "No, we're not sorry. God (not to get all religious on you guys) has blessed us with this child and it's our responsibility to take care of him. Don't feel bad." And with that, my parents now have dozens of books lying around the house having to do with Aspergers/Autism.

Through my school life, I had people teach me how to be more social with others. Learn eye-contact, how to communicate properly, read body language, comprehension, art, stress reliefs, anxiety treatments, etc. And now, I'm about over a year out of High School. Saving money for college, have a job at Starbucks.

Life is going well, because my parents didn't give up on me. They worked hard to, not to sound like I'm a pet, train me to be more social and work hard. So, take what you may with that story, I just really like sharing it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask privately or on here. It won't be bothersome in anyway. I hope the story helps, even though I kind of summarized it pretty bad.

I understand what you're saying, but it's TOTALLY different when someone is high-functioning, as you clearly are.

My 12 year old is VERY low-functioning. I love him and care for him with every ounce of my strength, but he is not potty-trained, cannot speak functionally, and has a mental age of about 18 months.

His autism is NOT a gift.

I just feel like the distinction between the two ends of the spectrum is also important.

I can't even express how much my heart goes out to you or any parents who have a child with such special needs because of some illness. You are truly heroes to your children and to this world! trink39.gif

Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 10 2012, 03:01 AM)
I understand what you're saying, but it's TOTALLY different when someone is high-functioning, as you clearly are.

Hardly should share the definition of autism, really. This is partially why the DSMV is tweaking around with it.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Aug 10 2012, 08:16 PM)

Hardly should share the definition of autism, really. This is partially why the DSMV is tweaking around with it.

I wasn't very high-functioning at first, basically at all, though. I don't want to make it sound like I'm a dog or anything but I was basically "trained" to be..normal, if you will?

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Aug 11 2012, 09:37 AM)

I wasn't very high-functioning at first, basically at all, though. I don't want to make it sound like I'm a dog or anything but I was basically "trained" to be..normal, if you will?

However, you need to realize that some people who are autistic are not going to get much better, which is true for those people on the low end of the spectrum .They are going to be pretty much the way they are forever...not a gift, especially to aging parents who are worried about what will become of the child when they can no longer care for them. I have friends whose child is not only not making any progress, he is regressing.

They are worried sick about him.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Aug 11 2012, 11:57 PM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Aug 11 2012, 09:37 AM)

However, you need to realize that some people who are autistic are not going to get much better, which is true for those people on the low end of the spectrum .They are going to be pretty much the way they are forever...not a gift, especially to aging parents who are worried about what will become of the child when they can no longer care for them. I have friends whose child is not only not making any progress, he is regressing.

They are worried sick about him.

Yeah, I understand...All the help I can really give you is to keep your heads up and hope things go well. sad.gif I was just trying to give you all a positive reinforcement. But, I do hope things do go better.

I appreciate your positive attitude. But, there's no way you were as low-functioning as my son and are now typing on the internet.

I paint a bleak picture, I understand that - but that is the reality of my life.

Edited by GhostGirl

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 13 2012, 10:43 AM)
I appreciate your positive attitude. But, there's no way you were as low-functioning as my son and are now typing on the internet.

I paint a bleak picture, I understand that - but that is the reality of my life.

Understood. Well, I wish the best of luck to you.

I have actually been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome when I was in 3rd grade. People need to realize that it is a gift, and absolutely not a curse.

What people need to realize, also, is that when someone has Autism, they should not give up what so ever (like many parents do). It saddens me to see that a lot of that happening. When I was diagnosed, many people went up to my parents and told them that "They were sorry." and that "Oh, it must be rough knowing that Austin has Autism.". It's stupid, and honestly, pretty insulting.

So, my parents just said "No, we're not sorry. God (not to get all religious on you guys) has blessed us with this child and it's our responsibility to take care of him. Don't feel bad." And with that, my parents now have dozens of books lying around the house having to do with Aspergers/Autism.

Through my school life, I had people teach me how to be more social with others. Learn eye-contact, how to communicate properly, read body language, comprehension, art, stress reliefs, anxiety treatments, etc. And now, I'm about over a year out of High School. Saving money for college, have a job at Starbucks.

Life is going well, because my parents didn't give up on me. They worked hard to, not to sound like I'm a pet, train me to be more social and work hard. So, take what you may with that story, I just really like sharing it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask privately or on here. It won't be bothersome in anyway. I hope the story helps, even though I kind of summarized it pretty bad.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, as many of you know.

Having this does have pros and cons.

Pros include trivial "obsessions" that will lead to great success.

Cons are just simply interactions with people.

My parents take this whole "Asperger's Syndrome" thing WAY too far.

They say I have the maturity of a 5 year old...it really enrages me.

They have to exaggerate every single damn detail.

I go off topic...

Point is, I understand your dislike when people apologize over that. It makes me enraged to hear people say "Oh, I'm sorry your child has Autism!"

this pisses me off

US Media Blacks Out Italian Court Ruling That MMR Vaccine Caused Child’s Autism

Valentino Bocca was given an MMR shot in 2004, at the age of 15 months. According to his parents, the change in his behavior was immediate. That same night he refused to eat, and he developed diarrhea during the night. It quickly went downhill from there. Within days he was no longer able to put a spoon to his mouth, and he spent nights crying in pain. His parents immediately suspected the vaccination, but were told this was “impossible.” Valentino progressively regressed, and received the diagnosis of autism a year later.

In the final analysis, the Italian Health Ministry disagreed with the initial conclusion of the pediatrician, conceding that the vaccine was at fault.

As a result, a court in Rimini, Italy recently awarded the Bocca family a 15-year annuity totaling 174,000 Euros (just under $220,000), plus reimbursement for court costs, ruling that Valentino “has been damaged by irreversible complications due to vaccination (prophylaxis trivalent MMR).” According to a featured article in the UK newspaper, The Independent, about 100 similar cases are now being examined by Italian lawyers, and more cases may be brought to court.

“Luca Ventaloro the family lawyer, said yesterday: “This is very significant for Britain which uses, and has used, an MMR vaccine with the same components as the one given to Valentino.

It is wrong for governments and their health authorities to exert strong pressure on parents to take children for the MMR jab while ignoring that this vaccine can cause autism and linked conditions.” The number of autism cases has risen sharply since the 1970s, with one in 64 British children affected,”
The Independent reports .

Why is US Media in Black-Out on this Story?

It’s well worth mentioning that this story has yet to be addressed in the US media… The Daily Mail was the first paper in the UK to talk about it on June 15. The Independent was the second to print an article, on June 17. The Daily Mail was the most substantive of the two. Their version included the following statements:

“Judge Lucio Ardigo, awarding compensation to the family… said it was ‘conclusively established’ that Valentino had suffered from an ‘autistic disorder associated with medium cognitive delay’ and his illness, as Dr Barboni stated, was linked to receiving the jab. Lawyer Mr Ventaloro explained yesterday: ‘This is very significant for Britain which uses, and has used, an MMR vaccine with the same components as the one given to Valentino. ‘It is wrong for governments and their health authorities to exert strong pressure on parents to take children for the MMR jab while ignoring that this vaccine can cause autism and linked conditions.’
Claudio Simion, a leading member of the lobby group Association for Freedom of Choice in Vaccination (Comilva), adds: ‘The Rimini judgment is vitally important for children everywhere. The numbers with autism are growing. It is a terrible thing that the authorities turn a blind eye to the connection between the MMR vaccination and this illness.’”

The complete lack of coverage of this case in the US media is a potent example of how health information is flat out censored in the US. Is it any wonder so many Americans are still in the dark? Whether hearing about this case in the US media would sway you to believe vaccines may cause autism or not, the REAL story here is the fact that you’re not even being allowed to learn about it in the first place!

Read original here: http://markcrispinmiller.com/2012/06/us-media-blacks-out-italian-court-ruling-that-mmr-vaccine-caused-childs-autism/

this pisses me off

Valentino Bocca was given an MMR shot in 2004, at the age of 15 months. According to his parents, the change in his behavior was immediate. That same night he refused to eat, and he developed diarrhea during the night. It quickly went downhill from there. Within days he was no longer able to put a spoon to his mouth, and he spent nights crying in pain. His parents immediately suspected the vaccination, but were told this was “impossible.” Valentino progressively regressed, and received the diagnosis of autism a year later.

In the final analysis, the Italian Health Ministry disagreed with the initial conclusion of the pediatrician, conceding that the vaccine was at fault.

As a result, a court in Rimini, Italy recently awarded the Bocca family a 15-year annuity totaling 174,000 Euros (just under $220,000), plus reimbursement for court costs, ruling that Valentino “has been damaged by irreversible complications due to vaccination (prophylaxis trivalent MMR).” According to a featured article in the UK newspaper, The Independent, about 100 similar cases are now being examined by Italian lawyers, and more cases may be brought to court.

“Luca Ventaloro the family lawyer, said yesterday: “This is very significant for Britain which uses, and has used, an MMR vaccine with the same components as the one given to Valentino.

It is wrong for governments and their health authorities to exert strong pressure on parents to take children for the MMR jab while ignoring that this vaccine can cause autism and linked conditions.” The number of autism cases has risen sharply since the 1970s, with one in 64 British children affected,”

It’s well worth mentioning that this story has yet to be addressed in the US media… The Daily Mail was the first paper in the UK to talk about it on June 15. The Independent was the second to print an article, on June 17. The Daily Mail was the most substantive of the two. Their version included the following statements:

“Judge Lucio Ardigo, awarding compensation to the family… said it was ‘conclusively established’ that Valentino had suffered from an ‘autistic disorder associated with medium cognitive delay’ and his illness, as Dr Barboni stated, was linked to receiving the jab. Lawyer Mr Ventaloro explained yesterday: ‘This is very significant for Britain which uses, and has used, an MMR vaccine with the same components as the one given to Valentino. ‘It is wrong for governments and their health authorities to exert strong pressure on parents to take children for the MMR jab while ignoring that this vaccine can cause autism and linked conditions.’
Claudio Simion, a leading member of the lobby group Association for Freedom of Choice in Vaccination (Comilva), adds: ‘The Rimini judgment is vitally important for children everywhere. The numbers with autism are growing. It is a terrible thing that the authorities turn a blind eye to the connection between the MMR vaccination and this illness.’”

The complete lack of coverage of this case in the US media is a potent example of how health information is flat out censored in the US. Is it any wonder so many Americans are still in the dark? Whether hearing about this case in the US media would sway you to believe vaccines may cause autism or not, the REAL story here is the fact that you’re not even being allowed to learn about it in the first place!

Read original here: http://markcrispinmi...-childs-autism/

What is the component in the shot that is thought to cause autism? The article did not see to say.

this pisses me off

What is the component in the shot that is thought to cause autism? The article did not see to say.

Mercury.

this pisses me off

Mercury.

In the thimerosal?

this pisses me off

Mercury.

In the thimerosal?

yep.

Wow, an MMR vaccine did that?

...Maybe I'll use my college's database to read some scholarly articles about this.

I may have been duped by peers all this time, because I followed them and dismissed the vaccination causation possibility...

This info webpage by the AAP disproves it...

http://www2.aap.org/immunization/families/mmr.html

It essentially claims that autism starts to become recognizable coincidentally at 15-18 months. I don't agree with that, there are plenty of signs you can see in your baby if you're attentive enough. This may be for primarily LFA, but lack of smiles or interest in new humans is a subtle sign of autism in youngest of babies... What is the cause then is a whole other issue, and needless to say an even more complex one. If it's true that these parents saw a dramatic change in their child's behavior proceeding the vaccine, suspicion for causation is reasonable...

Again, going to get around to reading an scholarly paper on this. I care.

Today at work a student gave me an open handed smack to the head. I should have been on better guard as he was obviously upset, his face quite literally red... I could feel it, but I have long and thick hair, and a nice noggin to lessen the impact... I could feel it lightly for about 10 minutes proceeding... Smack your thigh, giving the slap about a 1 or 2 meter second force. That is what hit my head. He hit around the area of my frontal lobe.

I'm fine, it hardly hurt, so I'm guessing there's no serious damage to my brain? Not even any minor? Did my planning/motivation skills just slightly lower because of this, or is hardly a big deal? Anyone want to give me their best guess please it would mean a lot.

If you are sitting there typing, I wouldn't worry too much about brain damage from a smack to the head. :eh:

I was just coming here to say that autism is partly why I haven't been around much lately. It's harder for me to log on at work due to stricter and nosier people around, at life at home has been hell.

My son is 13 now and has started going through puberty. He has developed more OCD-type behaviors and also SIB (self-injurious behaviors). He smacks HIMSELF upside the head. It's heartbreaking and my nerves have been stretched to the breaking point.

We are trying to find him a new doctor and are in the midst of qualifying for an in-home therapy program.

Overall, it just sucks ass.

If you are sitting there typing, I wouldn't worry too much about brain damage from a smack to the head. :eh:

I was just coming here to say that autism is partly why I haven't been around much lately. It's harder for me to log on at work due to stricter and nosier people around, at life at home has been hell.

My son is 13 now and has started going through puberty. He has developed more OCD-type behaviors and also SIB (self-injurious behaviors). He smacks HIMSELF upside the head. It's heartbreaking and my nerves have been stretched to the breaking point.

We are trying to find him a new doctor and are in the midst of qualifying for an in-home therapy program.

Aww take care.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that... Hard years :(

Does he ever harm you physically?

I come back to you with battle scars to show!

Recently I've been experimenting with this certain teen who always likes to pinch (clutch like pinches, really hurt and as you'll see in the link below left a mark) and squeeze people's arms and hands as a way of socially interacting... I found that the best form of negative reinforcement in which is ethical is to restrain him by getting a similarly firm grip on his hands.. Most of the time he'll just sit from there and without resistance enjoy the restraint... However, eventually he'll want to be released... As soon as I feel a tug or two I let go, and he'll softly pat my arm, like a slow, intentionally, weak slap, and then go back to his business. This is the case most of the time, anyways.. And I've experienced this about 7 times, most of which were recently when I was seated back with him in a van. I also have found that eye contact is what is most likely to trigger his pinch-play as I call it... Not good, I'm not even sure whether this fellow has autism or not.. If so I'd imagine it's PPD-NOS. I'll have to check into his IEP and ask his teacher what certain tactics / goals are with him, as I'm just dealing with him in the afterschool program.

if you look at the screen from a downwards angle or turn the brightness of your LCD down you can make out the bruises better

Enjoy! This is the best he's ever gotten me, ha.

http://i.imgur.com/O3Una73.jpg

It's really hard for me to come to the forum at all these days, and even harder for me to see this thread used as a place to complain about injuries caused by an autistic (or PDD-NOS) individual. With the struggles we are having at home, I don't know if I can visit the thread too often right now. It depresses me.