Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Jan 17 2006, 02:49 PM)
Hi Stephen! http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/5289/dora6bo.gif

Saw this pic and ur lil one popped in my mind
thought hed like it wink.gif

Thank you, Donna! wub.gif I can't wait to show it to him tonight. He'll LOVE it.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jan 23 2006, 04:40 PM)
That's a really beautiful sig, GG.

Thanks, physics. I was concerned that it might not be working right, but I'm glad you were able to see it. smile.gif

Stephen has been on the full dose of chelation meds for 2 1/2 weeks now. It still amazes me that he takes this stuff so willingly, because it smells awful...and this is one picky kid. But he soldiers on, taking it every night without a fuss.

He seems to be suffering some "detox" side effects, but I'm trying to look at this as a good sign...I've read many accounts of parents sharing the same thing. This stuff is coming out of him, and it's making his behavior a tad...interesting...but we continue to have high hopes.

He says more words every week, and surprises me often...the other night I was upset at him for not getting out of the tub when he needed to, and, after I finally wrestled him out, and held his hands so he couldn't bop me a good one, he looked at me and said, "Stee-yen...STOP!" (which of course translates into "Stephen, stop." laugh.gif)

So, we are working through challenges, but the trend is upward.

THIS IS JUST SENSATIONAL, GG!! EXCELLENT NEWS!! WTG STEPHEN biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 8 2006, 10:19 AM)
Wow, Belle. It sounds as though the chelation is working miracles. How does it work? Does it cause the body to leech the mercury out? At any rate, I'm so happy for you, Stephen and your whole family.

applaudit.gif

cosmo.gif

biggrin.gif Thanks, sis.

Here's a short description of what chelating is:

Chelating agents are substances which can chemically bond with, or chelate (from the Greek chele, claw), metals, minerals, or chemical toxins from the body. The chelating agent actually encircles a mineral or metal ion and carries it from the body.

We've gotten some flak from people who think we're a little too..."granola" about this. laugh.gif (Meaning, too earthy or non-traditional.) But you know what? I could care less.

Thanks for always caring. heart.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 8 2006, 10:24 AM)
THIS IS JUST SENSATIONAL, GG!! EXCELLENT NEWS!! WTG STEPHEN biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks, pags. heart.gif

I ran across this link. The kid featured is very high-functioning, as you'll see, but I can tell he definitely has autism. Anyway, this one's a feel-good story if I've ever seen one. Enjoy. smile.gif (You may have to install CNN's media player to see it.)

Video: J-Mac's hoop dream come true

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 23 2006, 01:23 PM)
I ran across this link. The kid featured is very high-functioning, as you'll see, but I can tell he definitely has autism. Anyway, this one's a feel-good story if I've ever seen one. Enjoy. smile.gif (You may have to install CNN's media player to see it.)

Video: J-Mac's hoop dream come true

Great story! Some nice shooting there 653.gif

Kudos to the coach for letting him play yes.gif

The doctor we've been using has continually let us down with his completely non-aggressive treatment plans, if you can even call them that. Basically we've done the research, and he ordered the tests that we needed after we gave him the list. We found the chelating agent ourselves, and the list goes on. We were really looking for guidance, and we haven't found that.

I attended a one-day seminar yesterday given by a doctor from Baton Rouge who treats autism and has had lots of success. I approached her during a break, told her about Stephen and his progress, and she said, "Bring that baby to me, and let's get him well." So, I'm calling Monday to make an appointment with her, and we'll take Stephen to Baton Rouge as soon as possible.

To update his progress biggrin.gif --- the boy who said maybe 3 words six months ago (names of Thomas trains) now says: "Thank you," with great consistency and appropriateness, all the names of his favorite trains and Dora characters, counts to ten, says most of the alphabet, says his own name, his brother's name, "Mama," "hamburger," laugh.gif and "good-bye" (when he wants to go somewhere, or if he wants YOU to leave him alone, he tells you good-bye...it's so funny smile.gif). There are others I can't think of, but the point is, he's starting to speak and actually use language in a meaningful way.

It's an incredible thing to watch. Thanks again to those of you who PM or email me to check on him. heart.gif

Oh, and since I got my last fillings removed, I'm doing chelation myself. I just got started, but I'm feeling a little tired, which is probably a kind of "detox" side effect. The main thing is to get rid of the mercury and lead built up in my system.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Mar 11 2006, 10:34 PM)
Awesome news on the progress GG trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

I hope this doctor in Baton Rouge will help even more yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

wub.gif Thanks, bro.

It has been amazingly hard to find a doctor to help us. I'm hoping this is the one.

My heart jumps every time you tell us about Stephen, Belle. I know that he couldn't ask for a better Mom. Going to Baton Rouge to find what you're looking for is not so far a trip when you consider how far Stephen has come developmentally. It sounds like he's doing great. And, your diligence is incredible. I know you hear that a lot. But, GOD! You are so amazing. I am in awe. You are my heroine. wub.gif (Not the drug. What I mean is, I admire you quite a lot. wink.gif )

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 12 2006, 12:33 AM)
My heart jumps every time you tell us about Stephen, Belle. I know that he couldn't ask for a better Mom. Going to Baton Rouge to find what you're looking for is not so far a trip when you consider how far Stephen has come developmentally. It sounds like he's doing great. And, your diligence is incredible. I know you hear that a lot. But, GOD! You are so amazing. I am in awe. You are my heroine. wub.gif (Not the drug. What I mean is, I admire you quite a lot. wink.gif )

You have no idea how much that means, Stace. Seriously. wub.gif

Thanks to you also, Trance...you NWW are so special to me. heart.gif

I want to thank you all for allowing me this space to talk (well, type) about Stephen. It means more than you know. This thread, along with the lovely people who express concern for him regularly, keeps me sane.

We go to Baton Rouge on April 18, and our appointment is at 9:30 a.m. on the 19th. We'll be there for most of the day, hopefully getting all the necessary testing done. We'll come home with a revised treatment plan.

Now he's still chelating, and while he hasn't added many new words, he's using words more frequently.

Stephen has, since the age of about 2 1/2, often looked at toys or even people using his peripheral vision...sort of tilting his head and peering. It was cute, but we knew it wasn't the proper use of his eyes. I found out recently that this kind of problem can be caused by a vitamin A deficiency. Last Monday I got him some cod liver oil, which is an excellent source of vitamin A (I know...062802puke_prv.gif laugh.gif) but this is berry-flavored and he actually takes it easily.

In one week, he has stopped using his peripheral vision to look at things. Period. His rough, dry skin has cleared up, too...turns out follicular hyperkeratosis (which is what he was diagnosed with) is caused by...you guessed it...a lack of vitamin A.

That long-winded explanation is to reinforce the theory that many, if not all, symptoms that caused Stephen to be diagnosed with autism are treatable.

So, that's the update for now. Thanks for letting me journal all this, and I don't mean for everyone to have to post in response. biggrin.gif This is my therapy, in a way.

heart.gif