Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jul 18 2005, 10:27 PM)
GG, words can't express it. I'm waiting on the edge of my seat to hear what the Dr says. cheer.gif Oh My God, how I pray something can be done. angel.gif Your courage amazes me. Big hugs for you and your family. heart.gif -RB

btw - my son, Timothy (who also has autism) turned 6 yesterday...as soon as i outsmart my camera tongue.gif , i'll post some pics. wub.gif

Bonzy, you're the first one I thought of when I posted this. I will most definitely keep you posted.

wub.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 18 2005, 09:20 PM)
QUOTE (Oberon @ Jul 18 2005, 09:14 PM)
How old is your son?

He's almost 5 1/2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/Stephen.jpg

wub.gif

Imagine if you can loving a child so much...and not knowing what his favorite color is, or what he wants to do today, or what song he wants to sing. That's what it's like. He hugs me, he needs me...but I don't KNOW him. And more than anything, that's what I want. Just to know him.

I wish you and your family all the love and strength you need GG! heart.gif

He's such an adorable and sweet boy, I can imagine that this must hurt you so much!

I hope you finally get the help you need so much..

QUOTE (dweezil @ Jul 18 2005, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 18 2005, 03:31 PM)
This may not affect too many people here, but for a long, long time I've been researching a possible connection between thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative, and autism.  I have lots and lots of articles to back this up, and while I don't know if it's too late to help my son, if you are a parent, please take note of what I'll periodically post here.  This is a scary issue, and I would feel awful if I didn't share what I'm learning.

I'll post links here as I have time, for those who are interested.

Also, we have an appointment tomorrow with a doctor who believes this to be a true scenario, so I'm cautiously optimistic that we're seeking help while my son is still young enough to benefit from the treatments.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I'll post some links to articles/research as soon as I can.

(Thimerosal is no longer in vaccines at such alarming levels, but it DOES still exist.  My son was given vaccines containing this vile substance in amounts far exceeding FDA guidelines in 2000-2001.)

ohmy.gif

It would be interesting to read those in relation to my son's Aspergers. I'm wondering if it's related to Tourettes as well?

WTF is Thimerasol? I'll have to search that unsure.gif

Dweez...I meant to respond to this before...

Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative that was used in many common vaccinations (including the DTaP and HIB vaccines). Did you son receive these or other vaccinations? If so, it's worth considering that his Asperger's could have roots in that.

I'll post more stuff about Asperger's here, too. I have a lot of experience with that as well.

The Tourette's is closely linked, I'm sure. It's very common for individuals with ASD (autism spectrum disorder) to have Tourettes.

heart.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 18 2005, 07:20 PM)
How old is your son?

He's almost 5 1/2

wub.gif

Imagine if you can loving a child so much...and not knowing what his favorite color is, or what he wants to do today, or what song he wants to sing. That's what it's like. He hugs me, he needs me...but I don't KNOW him. And more than anything, that's what I want. Just to know him.

Having a son practically the same age as you do GG, knowing the magnitude of love that you and I feel for our children, your statement - Imagine if you can loving a child so much...and not knowing what his favorite color is, or what he wants to do today, or what song he wants to sing. That's what it's like. He hugs me, he needs me...but I don't KNOW him. And more than anything, that's what I want. Just to know him.

My heart is weighted for you, all my prayers for you and for your son - that the desire you have be granted. A simple desire. Please keep us posted on this.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 19 2005, 03:20 AM)
How old is your son?

He's almost 5 1/2

wub.gif

GG I really hope with all my heart this works for your son, and Rolinda's son too yes.gif

Maybe this has to do with me maturing , but these post are bringing tears to my eyes...I will pray hard for you and your families GG and Rolinda, But i take solace in knowing that these children have possibly to of the most loving parents a child with this inflicktion could have... God Bless you and yours...

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 19 2005, 07:15 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Jul 18 2005, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 18 2005, 03:31 PM)
This may not affect too many people here, but for a long, long time I've been researching a possible connection between thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative, and autism.  I have lots and lots of articles to back this up, and while I don't know if it's too late to help my son, if you are a parent, please take note of what I'll periodically post here.  This is a scary issue, and I would feel awful if I didn't share what I'm learning.

I'll post links here as I have time, for those who are interested.

Also, we have an appointment tomorrow with a doctor who believes this to be a true scenario, so I'm cautiously optimistic that we're seeking help while my son is still young enough to benefit from the treatments.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I'll post some links to articles/research as soon as I can.

(Thimerosal is no longer in vaccines at such alarming levels, but it DOES still exist.  My son was given vaccines containing this vile substance in amounts far exceeding FDA guidelines in 2000-2001.)

ohmy.gif

It would be interesting to read those in relation to my son's Aspergers. I'm wondering if it's related to Tourettes as well?

WTF is Thimerasol? I'll have to search that unsure.gif

Dweez...I meant to respond to this before...

Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative that was used in many common vaccinations (including the DTaP and HIB vaccines). Did you son receive these or other vaccinations? If so, it's worth considering that his Asperger's could have roots in that.

I'll post more stuff about Asperger's here, too. I have a lot of experience with that as well.

The Tourette's is closely linked, I'm sure. It's very common for individuals with ASD (autism spectrum disorder) to have Tourettes.

heart.gif

Thanks GG heart.gif

I feel so lucky that Max is able to talk to me and function. It's sometimes frustrating with the OCD etc. but it could be a lot worse. yes.gif

Sending love and light to you and your son.

You as well Rolinda heart.gif

I'm completely overwhelmed by this outpouring of good thoughts...I shouldn't be surprised, because you guys are just outstanding people. heart.gif

Okay...doctor's visit went well. She is new at this (actually she got into it because of a friend of hers with two autistic children) but is at least well-versed in the common theories of the day. We spent a lot of time discussing the fact that the medical establishment doesn't want to believe that vaccinations (or the preservative therein) could've contributed to autism. There are other theories, which I'll expound upon later. Like I said, a definite genetic component exists - Stephen's father has Asperger's, so we don't have to wonder about that part.

Anyway...our adventure begins with two hair analyses: Stephen's hair from his first baby haircut (which I somehow managed to hold onto for five years) compared to a sample that we'll take in a couple of weeks. Both samples will be tested for the presence of toxins, specifically heavy metals like lead and mercury. And it's a bit surprising to realize that what we're actually looking for is an extremely LOW level of mercury in the baby hair. The idea is that, if, as we suspect, Stephen's body can't excrete toxins like mercury, there should be a below average amount in his baby hair - so we'll be able to correctly assume that instead of excreting it, it migrated to his brain, where it more than likely wreaked havoc on his development.

Here is ONE link for this afternoon...http://www.healing-arts.org/children/holmes.htm#results. There's a table embedded in that page with data regarding results, which is encouraging to say the least---the younger the child, the better the results, it seems.

That link takes you to a fantastic article...those of you who are interested would find it an excellent, easy to read summary of the whole process.

Thanks again for your time and attention...this means SO much to me, to have people with whom to share this. heart.gif

Oooops...one more GREAT link:

If you're not into an "all natural," or holistic lifestyle, don't let the "wellness" aura smile.gif of this article dissuade you. Read on...trust me, my family eats way too much junk (that may be changing soon) but regardless, this information is worth checking out. The book mentioned in this article, Evidence of Harm, is an excellent resource as well. Written by a journalist with no clear ties to either side, it presents facts as well as any book I've seen.

Anyhoo...the link: http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/autism.htm

GG, you have my thoughts and prayers with you too, and I look forward to you updating us when you get more information.

This might seem like a really dumb and maybe very obvious question, but since they started removing the large quantities of that metal from vaccinations in 2001, have cases of autism among children dropped dramatically, or at all? I just thought that would be the most obvious verification of this theory...

peace & love,

gary

heart.gif

Stay Strong GG!

I can't express myself right now with the right words. All I can say is that I feel deeply for you and Stephen....and your family.

My heart goes out to you!

Again, lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent from me.

rose.gif rose.gif rose.gif

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 19 2005, 05:20 PM)
GG, you have my thoughts and prayers with you too, and I look forward to you updating us when you get more information.

This might seem like a really dumb and maybe very obvious question, but since they started removing the large quantities of that metal from vaccinations in 2001, have cases of autism among children dropped dramatically, or at all?  I just thought that would be the most obvious verification of this theory...

peace & love,
gary
heart.gif

Excellent question, goob...

Here's the best data in my collection so far. California keeps excellent records of this type of thing...and I found the following:

Thu Jul 14th, 2005 at 04:58:36 PDT

Thimerosal began to be phased out of infant vaccines in 1999, so babies born in 1998 were the last, as a group, to get the full load of mercury which was many times over the EPA limit. The CA stats count 3 year olds and up, so the children now entering the system were born in 2002, when thimerosal exposure would have been not eliminated but significantly reduced.

New quarterly numbers are out in CA, which has the best tracking system for autism cases in the country.

The numbers are dropping.

According to the state data, 2002 was a record year for new autism diagnoses, with 3,259 cases. In 2003, the number of new cases slipped to 3,125. In 2004, the number was 3,074.

For the first half of 2005, there were 1,470 new cases, compared to 1,518 in the same period in 2004.

http://www.dds.ca.gov/FactsStats/quarterly.cfm

Side note: Stephen was born in 2000, but he got thimerosal-containing vaccinations because Merck and other companies didn't recall product that had already been distributed.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 19 2005, 11:55 PM)
Best link EVER:  http://www.safeminds.org/

The acronym stands for Sensible Action For Ending Mercury-Induced Neurological Disorders.

Wow...TONS of info on there. Right off the bat I see, "Breakthrough Research: New Study Shows Vaccine Mercury Results In More Than Twice As Much Mercury Being Trapped In The Brain." Unbelievable.

GG, have you mentioned the part about the pet vaccines yet? (EDIT: Yes, you did.)

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

A rose for you and yours. rose.gif

- DA420

Who in their right mind in the 20th or 21st centuries would even consider mercury as a prevervative component for any product to be ingested by a living body?

Absolutely ludicrous. I could see this maybe 100 years ago before we knew the dangers, but not in recent times.

I recently began to re-evaluate the vaccinations I endured as a child. God knows what the government shot into our arms as children. Especially if this kind of thing is happening as recent as the last 5-10 years.

NY Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 20, 2005

No Vaccine-Autism Link, Parents Are Told

By GARDINER HARRIS

WASHINGTON, July 19 - Top officials from three of the nation's premier public health agencies held an unusual news conference on Tuesday to say that childhood vaccines are life-saving medicines with no proven link to autism.

"The science says very clearly that vaccines save lives and protect our children," said one of the officials, Dr. Julie L. Gerberding, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

To many, that declaration might have seemed akin to an announcement so basic as that high cholesterol readings are linked with heart disease. But the officials felt a need to make a forceful defense of vaccines because a growing number of parents contend that a mercury-containing vaccine preservative called thimerosal caused their children to become autistic. Indeed, several parents held a vigil outside the news conference, with one holding a large sign blaming vaccines for her child's disorder.

Representative Dave Weldon, a Florida Republican who champions the notion that thimerosal has caused an explosion of autism cases around the world, attended the news conference and, after it ended, gave his own press briefing criticizing the public health officials.

"It seemed that this was an effort to assuage public concerns, but I think parents are much smarter than some people give them credit for," said Mr. Weldon, who was a practicing physician before his election to the House in 1994.

Thimerosal was largely removed from all childhood vaccines in 2001. Flu shots were an exception, and Mr. Weldon has sponsored legislation to ban preservative levels of thimerosal from them as well.

Joining Dr. Gerberding at the news conference were Dr. Duane Alexander, director of the National Institute of Child Health Development, and Dr. Murray M. Lumpkin, acting deputy commissioner for international and special programs at the Food and Drug Administration.

All said they were sympathetic to the problems faced by parents with autistic children. "We want the parents of children with autism to know that we are listening to their concerns," Dr. Alexander said.

The National Institutes of Health has quadrupled financing for autism research since 1997, he said, to $102 million in the current fiscal year.

Dr. Lumpkin said doctors wanted parents to examine the data concerning vaccines so that they will realize, he said, that the benefits of the medicines far outweigh their risks.

Three other experts joined the officials at the news conference. Among them was Dr. Peter Hotez, a vaccine researcher at George Washington University, who is the father of a 12-year-old autistic daughter.

Dr. Hotez said her condition had "come close to tearing our family apart." But he said he and his wife were convinced that their daughter's autism was "not related to vaccines."

"We need a war on autism," he said, "not a war on childhood vaccines."

Dr. Lumpkin said doctors wanted parents to examine the data concerning vaccines so that they will realize, he said, that the benefits of the medicines far outweigh their risks.

I am NOT advocating skipping vaccines. I believe that the vaccines themselves are helpful and necessary. But they should be (and should have ALWAYS been) as safe and pure as can be before injecting them into 2 month old defenseless babies. I feel that some of these people who reject the thimerosal/autism connection are trying to insinuate that people like myself are "anti-vaccine" and that is simply NOT true. I am PRO-safe vaccine. And there's a big difference.

Even IF someone proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that somehow thimerosal isn't to blame (but the evidence is almost overwhelming to the contrary)...doesn't it just seem like a bad idea to put something containing mercury into our bodies ON PURPOSE? confused13.gif