Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 22 2011, 11:24 AM)
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/us-22424932...m-24272950.html

thanks for that, hon - very interesting!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 18 2011, 09:57 AM)
Last night was bad. SO BAD.

Two long crying jags, one because a certain Bob the Builder VHS episode isn't on YouTube. Miserable for all involved. Hitting head, hitting me, screaming.

And I can't reason with him. I can't explain that some stuff just isn't there. I can't figure out how to use pictures to explain this. And just letting him cry it out drives me to the brink of insanity. Seriously.

hug2.gif I think this one has a slot load - not sure, cause it doesn't say, but I don't see anywhere on there where a tray would be, either pop-out or pop-up. Plus it also plays writable discs so you can keep a copy at home, in the car, etc and have one for the portable dvd player too. Oh, and it's dual screen too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-7-LCD-Du...012-37/14237924

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 18 2011, 03:19 PM)
We are on about our sixth or seventh portable DVD player. I keep looking for one that has a "slot" loading mechanism instead of the pop-open door, because Stephen is fascinated with the laser inside, and those players are never around for long.

oh yeah...i hear that. 2 screens broken and one laser thing...we're on our fourth, and now he doesnt need it! LOL

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Feb 22 2011, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 18 2011, 09:57 AM)
Last night was bad.  SO BAD.

Two long crying jags, one because a certain Bob the Builder VHS episode isn't on YouTube.  Miserable for all involved.  Hitting head, hitting me, screaming.

And I can't reason with him.  I can't explain that some stuff just isn't there.  I can't figure out how to use pictures to explain this.  And just letting him cry it out drives me to the brink of insanity.  Seriously.

hug2.gif I think this one has a slot load - not sure, cause it doesn't say, but I don't see anywhere on there where a tray would be, either pop-out or pop-up. Plus it also plays writable discs so you can keep a copy at home, in the car, etc and have one for the portable dvd player too. Oh, and it's dual screen too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-7-LCD-Du...012-37/14237924

oooh shiny thing! Need or not...I like this~

The iPad will eventually support Flash, even if it ends up being in a roundabout way through an app like Skype or Adobe....but perhaps it makes more sense to invest a well-rounded video converter that would enable you to convert existing stuff you may have (movie files, etc) into a format that can be played on the iPad? Just a suggestion, but plenty such converters exist and some are free or very inexpensive.

Great article that my aunt received in her Gluten-Free newsletter (she has Celiac's Disease).

Tricks for Picky Eaters

Edited by LakesideMaiden

653.gif I got my littel autistic student to eat oranges yesterday.

He was really thirsty and I told him they were juicy like water, and sweet. I didn't really think he'd try them, but he did, and ate both pieces that he had been served. His mom and I celebrated when she picked him up. Add one more fruit to the short list.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Mar 18 2011, 06:58 PM)
He was really thirsty and I told him they were juicy like water, and sweet. I didn't really think he'd try them, but he did, and ate both pieces that he had been served. His mom and I celebrated when she picked him up. Add one more fruit to the short list.

well done! applaudit.gif

A friend of mine(whose 13 yr. old son has Autism) posted this on Facebook and I wanted to share it with you all heart.gif

-Blessed Are Those-

I. Blessed are those who stop and listen to my chatter. You may not understand me; but I love when people talk to me, for I long for companionship, too.

II. Blessed are those who take my hand and walk with me when the path is rough, for I easily stumble and grow weary. But thank you, too, for letting me walk alone when the path is smooth, for I must learn independence.

III. Blessed are those who take the time to tell me about special happenings, for unless you make special effort to inform me, I remain ignorant.

IV. Blessed are those who wait for me. I may be slow, but I appreciate your patience.

V. Blessed are those who are not ashamed to be seen in public with me, for I did not choose to be born thus. It could have been you as well.

VI. Blessed are those who do not pity me, for I don't want pity. All I want is understanding and respect for what I have learned as well.

VII. Blessed are those who notice my accomplishments, small as they may seem to you. I must work long and hard to learn many of the things you take for granted.

VIII. Blessed are those who include me in their games, even though I may not understand the rules, I still like to be included in your activities.

IX. Blessed are those who think of me as a person who loves, and hurts, and feels joy and pain just like you do, for in that respect I am normal.

Author Unknown

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Mar 18 2011, 06:58 PM)

awesome!!! trink39.gif cheer.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Mar 23 2011, 02:43 PM)
A friend of mine(whose 13 yr. old son has Autism) posted this on Facebook and I wanted to share it with you all heart.gif

-Blessed Are Those-

I. Blessed are those who stop and listen to my chatter. You may not understand me; but I love when people talk to me, for I long for companionship, too.

II. Blessed are those who take my hand and walk with me when the path is rough, for I easily stumble and grow weary. But thank you, too, for letting me walk alone when the path is smooth, for I must learn independence.

III. Blessed are those who take the time to tell me about special happenings, for unless you make special effort to inform me, I remain ignorant.

IV. Blessed are those who wait for me. I may be slow, but I appreciate your patience.

V. Blessed are those who are not ashamed to be seen in public with me, for I did not choose to be born thus. It could have been you as well.

VI. Blessed are those who do not pity me, for I don't want pity. All I want is understanding and respect for what I have learned as well.

VII. Blessed are those who notice my accomplishments, small as they may seem to you. I must work long and hard to learn many of the things you take for granted.

VIII. Blessed are those who include me in their games, even though I may not understand the rules, I still like to be included in your activities.

IX. Blessed are those who think of me as a person who loves, and hurts, and feels joy and pain just like you do, for in that respect I am normal.

Author Unknown

beautiful! heart.gif rose.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Mar 23 2011, 01:43 PM)

-Blessed Are Those-

Author Unknown

This is precious.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 23 2011, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Mar 23 2011, 01:43 PM)

-Blessed Are Those-

Author Unknown

This is precious.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Mar 23 2011, 02:43 PM)

-Blessed Are Those-

Author Unknown

Love it thanks for sharing! wub.gif

Stephen started limping yesterday and I have no idea why. He seems fine, but is definitely favoring his left foot/leg. It doesn't seem to be his hip or knee, but his foot and ankle aren't swollen either.

It's not as simple as just taking him to the doctor to get it x-rayed. If that has to happen, he is going to freak and will probably have to be sedated. I don't want to put him through that but I am worried.

And I wish I could stop reading about it on the internet because my imagination runs away with me.

THIS is what is the most frustrating thing about autism. He can't tell me what is wrong. I just keep freaking on an hourly basis.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 25 2011, 01:37 PM)
Stephen started limping yesterday and I have no idea why. He seems fine, but is definitely favoring his left foot/leg. It doesn't seem to be his hip or knee, but his foot and ankle aren't swollen either.

It's not as simple as just taking him to the doctor to get it x-rayed. If that has to happen, he is going to freak and will probably have to be sedated. I don't want to put him through that but I am worried.

And I wish I could stop reading about it on the internet because my imagination runs away with me.

THIS is what is the most frustrating thing about autism. He can't tell me what is wrong. I just keep freaking on an hourly basis.

Okay, here's a simple guess:

I tend on occasion to strain the insteps of my feet, and IT HURTS! Really achy and I find myself limping along on the outer sole of the affected foot until the strain is healed - usually a day or two. And it is an obvious limp, not just a little hitch in my step.

Don't let the 'net freak you out. I really, really doubt it's anything awful like a broken bone - he probably would NOT be walking.

Fingers crossed for magical disappearance of limp. yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 25 2011, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 25 2011, 01:37 PM)
Stephen started limping yesterday and I have no idea why.  He seems fine, but is definitely favoring his left foot/leg.  It doesn't seem to be his hip or knee, but his foot and ankle aren't swollen either.

It's not as simple as just taking him to the doctor to get it x-rayed.  If that has to happen, he is going to freak and will probably have to be sedated.  I don't want to put him through that but I am worried.

THIS is what is the most frustrating thing about autism.  He can't tell me what is wrong.  I just keep freaking on an hourly basis.

Okay, here's a simple guess:

I tend on occasion to strain the insteps of my feet, and IT HURTS! Really achy and I find myself limping along on the outer sole of the affected foot until the strain is healed - usually a day or two. And it is an obvious limp, not just a little hitch in my step.

Don't let the 'net freak you out. I really, really doubt it's anything awful like a broken bone - he probably would NOT be walking.

Fingers crossed for magical disappearance of limp. yes.gif

Something like that might be it, Mara. In any case, you're right about the internetz. I sometimes HATE it - a worrywart like me does NOT need all those suggestions of dire situations.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 25 2011, 12:37 PM)
Stephen started limping yesterday and I have no idea why.  He seems fine, but is definitely favoring his left foot/leg.  It doesn't seem to be his hip or knee, but his foot and ankle aren't swollen either.

It's not as simple as just taking him to the doctor to get it x-rayed.  If that has to happen, he is going to freak and will probably have to be sedated.  I don't want to put him through that but I am worried.

THIS is what is the most frustrating thing about autism.  He can't tell me what is wrong.  I just keep freaking on an hourly basis.

I don't think a little limp is anything to get too worried about. I use to twist my ankle and limp for a few days quite regularly when I was kid. If the limp seems to be getting worse or lasts more than about five days then maybe you should think about bringing him to a doctor. I hope it gets better soon!

Edited by snowdogged

Hi everyone!

Today is LIGHT IT UP BLUE/AUTISM AWARENESS DAY!

Below is a link to AUTISM SPEAKS. It is one of many organizations...just a place to get some information. Feel free to poke around the internet for more as you please.

LIGHT IT UP BLUE

This is what Autism is to me-

A young man, handsome, strong, funny--SO funny--he likes to tell jokes, play cards and video games...He is very teenagery, with all the back talk and changes and growth that goes with that. He is also struggling to learn his way in the world. Like how to talk to girls...he's trying so hard! And I fear one curious touch to her hair, innocent though it may be, could be misinterpreted and people wont understand, and Daniel wont understand why. He's learning how to be a friend, though sometimes his autonomous nature keeps him from understanding give and take.

He's learning how to navigate his community, though his sometimes wandering speech patterns make him difficult to understand..he wants to be part of the conversation so much, that he tries hard to sound grown up and talks just for the sake of talking. Sometimes he doesnt make sense. But if you take time to really listen, you can get what he's trying to say.

He is good hearted, non-judgemental, honest...THESE are some of the "symptoms" of autism...they really dont know how to manipulate, or understand what that is, and we could all learn somethng from that.

This is some of what Autism is to me...it is part of my son's makeup. My son is my whole heart and the light in my life. So therefore Autism is part of me.

Thanks for understanding! xo

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 6 2011, 10:05 AM)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/sto...search-end.html

sad

Yeah, that's horrible! I've been following that story. I especially feel for the kid's sister who will most likely end up feeling like she is responsible for not keeping track of where he was. While she is in no way to blame, I think it is pretty much human nature to blame ourselves for things like this and that is a huge burden for a child to have.

My Prayers are with the family!

Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 6 2011, 09:05 AM)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/sto...search-end.html

sad

That is the nightmare of every parent of a severely autistic child. Once, just once, Stephen got away from me at a bookstore, and the minute or so it took to find him felt like an eternity, with all kinds of horrible scenarios going through my mind - he can hear, but he can't speak functionally. Anyone could've grabbed him and walked out, and he would've never made a sound.

My heart breaks for this family.