Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Apr 21 2008, 12:05 PM)
Atta girl.  The media has a bad habit of lobbing softballs.

It's not a habit, it's the crutch they use to do their jobs. Look at Larry King, the softest interview in the world. There's a reason that celebrities line up to get on his show. I assure you it isn't the fact that he's a great interviewer wink.gif

Keep up the great work GG, it's refreshing to see the truth thrown out there!

BTW Michelle, did they edit you at all? Context is also another great crutch for the media, especially depending on which way they lean politically.

Edited by Sword and Armor

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 20 2008, 08:27 PM)
My article from today's paper. smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/scan0001edit.jpg

great article GG!

QUOTE (Sword and Armor @ Apr 21 2008, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Apr 21 2008, 12:05 PM)
Atta girl.  The media has a bad habit of lobbing softballs.

It's not a habit, it's the crutch they use to do their jobs. Look at Larry King, the softest interview in the world. There's a reason that celebrities line up to get on his show. I assure you it isn't the fact that he's a great interviewer wink.gif

Keep up the great work GG, it's refreshing to see the truth thrown out there!

BTW Michelle, did they edit you at all? Context is also another great crutch for the media, especially depending on which way they lean politically.

No, no editing. I wrote every word, and they kept them all in.

Oh, and thanks Rushman. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 18 2008, 10:37 PM)
biggrin.gif

If you've read this thread, you know that haircuts are extremely taxing and traumatic for Stephen (and for his parents).

Today was (finally) haircut day.  A few weeks ago I made up what's called a "social story" about going to get a haircut.  I wrote simple sentences and included pictures of a barber shop, a barber chair, clippers, etc.  I also included a picture of a bathtub because we go to my mom's house for a bath after cuts, and finally, the big payoff---McDonald's (I know, yuck).

We read the story and I kept saying "First haircut, then McDonalds," and we talked about the clippers going BUZZZZZ...

He didn't want to get out when we arrived at the shop, and we gritted our teeth and got him inside.  I pointed to his book and then to the barber chair and said, "See? This is where haircut happens."

Now...

Stephen walked over to his dad, who was already in the chair...got into his lap with my help...

And sat there, calmly, while our wonderful hairstylist Ms. Tommie cut his hair.

wub.gif

He flinched a bit like any kid, but he didn't cry one tear.  With the first pass of the clippers, he quietly said, "Buzzzzz?"  And I said, "Yes, buddy!"  He didn't fight or struggle or scream, like he's always, always done.

It was amazing.  I cried like a baby with relief.

I'm so proud of him.  You guys just don't know what a HUGE deal this is.

Pics to come as soon as I can get him to stand still.  smile.gif

I told you he'd get it eventually. That's almost exactly how Tony did it...

It is a HUGE deal....and an amazing accomplishment. Next hurdle is the diapers. Tony did it....so can Stephen!

He can do anything you want him to.

Way to go Stephen new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by Cygnus The God Of Balance

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 19 2008, 08:19 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 19 2008, 02:10 PM)
Fridge,

Thanks. I'm not too positive on it because my mum was saying that coming to university would've been almost impossible for someone with Aspergers, so I don't know. Aswell, yesterday, I had to do a 10 minute presentation to the seminar class which I did, however stressful and painful it was to actually, physically address the class.

As soon as I get back I fully intend to get myself tested, so thanks for the encouragement.

No problem mate.

I know how tough it can be in social situations. I have learned to mask it over the years, but it took a lot of trial and error.

I don't agree with your mum about higher education though. It is difficult true, but not impossible. I managed it with no support at all, so don't feel it is an insurmountable barrier.

feel free to PM me at any time if you think I can offer any advice

My ex-boyfriend w/ Aspergers is graduating college this spring. It may be difficult, but I wouldn't say impossible. no.gif

Just got the chance to read your article.

VERY WELL DONE.

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Now if we could get others to spread the word just

as you did, maybe there can be more funding and help

finding a cure. I think that alot of people really don't

understand autism. I know I thought it wasn't as severe

as it is til I saw it first hand. There are to many out there

that are talking about the "high functioning" cases, and it

leaves some believing it is a matter of therapy to get

through it. Your article will help. yes.gif

Good Job!!!

wub.gif

BWT... Great work on the haircut. wink.gif I knew that someday

you could make it easier on both you and Stephen.

hug2.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 21 2008, 10:01 AM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 20 2008, 10:35 PM)
Saw this article in Forbes today:

http://www.forbes.com/healthcare/forbes/2008/0505/054.html

That's a great article! I'm going to read more about her methods.

Thank you!

You're welcome. Glad it had something of value. smile.gif

Cool name for the place, too.

Edited by anagramking

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 20 2008, 11:27 PM)

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Great Article GG

Thank you for sharing it with us.

The line I found most eye opening is about the child having a tantrum in a store...it really shows what could be right under our noses everyday. EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Apr 21 2008, 03:14 PM)
biggrin.gif

If you've read this thread, you know that haircuts are extremely taxing and traumatic for Stephen (and for his parents).

Today was (finally) haircut day.  A few weeks ago I made up what's called a "social story" about going to get a haircut.  I wrote simple sentences and included pictures of a barber shop, a barber chair, clippers, etc.  I also included a picture of a bathtub because we go to my mom's house for a bath after cuts, and finally, the big payoff---McDonald's (I know, yuck).

We read the story and I kept saying "First haircut, then McDonalds," and we talked about the clippers going BUZZZZZ...

He didn't want to get out when we arrived at the shop, and we gritted our teeth and got him inside.  I pointed to his book and then to the barber chair and said, "See? This is where haircut happens."

Now...

Stephen walked over to his dad, who was already in the chair...got into his lap with my help...

wub.gif

He flinched a bit like any kid, but he didn't cry one tear.  With the first pass of the clippers, he quietly said, "Buzzzzz?"  And I said, "Yes, buddy!"  He didn't fight or struggle or scream, like he's always, always done.

It is a HUGE deal....and an amazing accomplishment. Next hurdle is the diapers. Tony did it....so can Stephen!

You told me it would happen, but I never really believed it till I saw it. biggrin.gif

Next stop - potty training. yes.gif

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Apr 21 2008, 03:26 PM)
Just got the chance to read your article.

VERY WELL DONE.
applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Now if we could get others to spread the word just
as you did, maybe there can be more funding and help
finding a cure. I think that alot of people really don't
understand autism. I know I thought it wasn't as severe
as it is til I saw it first hand. There are to many out there
that are talking about the "high functioning" cases, and it
leaves some believing it is a matter of therapy to get
through it. Your article will help. yes.gif

Good Job!!!

wub.gif

BWT... Great work on the haircut. wink.gif I knew that someday
you could make it easier on both you and Stephen.

hug2.gif

Thanks so much, CeeJ. I appreciate your support!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 22 2008, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Apr 21 2008, 03:14 PM)
biggrin.gif

Now...

wub.gif

You told me it would happen, but I never really believed it till I saw it. biggrin.gif

Next stop - potty training. yes.gif

I almost cried when I read that Stephen got his haircut. It's so awesome!

I still can't believe that it was just a year ago I was putting Pullups on Tony. Now he's going all by himself. Well, he still needs a little help, but much better than before.

If you haven't lived through it, people can't really appreciate these little victories and how much of a relief it is for parents.

One minute you think this will never happen, then just like Stephen, he was ready and he did it!

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Totally awesome. Way to go Stephen.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Apr 22 2008, 03:31 PM)
I almost cried when I read that Stephen got his haircut. It's so awesome!

I still can't believe that it was just a year ago I was putting Pullups on Tony. Now he's going all by himself. Well, he still needs a little help, but much better than before.

If you haven't lived through it, people can't really appreciate these little victories and how much of a relief it is for parents.

One minute you think this will never happen, then just like Stephen, he was ready and he did it!

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Totally awesome. Way to go Stephen.

Cygnus... hug2.gif

You understand us SO WELL. It means so much to know that.

Thank you for being such a source of encouragement and support. I am truly grateful.

I can't wait to come on here and talk about pottying in great detail! tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 20 2008, 07:27 PM)

Well this is more than just a little impressive. Good for you. Truly admirable. You have done something really good here. Perhaps you and Stephen should be the faces of autism.

Not only that you have accomplished something here that I would like to do, as far as being a published writer. Hopefully this will be the first of many.

rose.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 22 2008, 03:52 PM)

Well this is more than just a little impressive. Good for you. Truly admirable. You have done something really good here. Perhaps you and Stephen should be the faces of autism.

Not only that you have accomplished something here that I would like to do, as far as being a published writer. Hopefully this will be the first of many.

rose.gif

Thank you so much. That means a lot to me, Jim.

biggrin.gif

OMG!!!! This news is fantastic!

I am so proud of Stephen, I can't wait to see pics. And GG, that article was very well written. It certainly got your point across - have you received any emails regarding it?

QUOTE (sundog @ Apr 22 2008, 09:17 PM)
OMG!!!! This news is fantastic!

I am so proud of Stephen, I can't wait to see pics. And GG, that article was very well written. It certainly got your point across - have you received any emails regarding it?

Thanks, sunny! hug2.gif I've gotten about twenty emails so far. It has been really exciting and gratifying.

Here's my little man:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...dpost&p=1266605

wub.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 22 2008, 11:29 PM)
^^^ Might just be the longest post in TRF history.  tongue.gif

When do I receive my prize? biggrin.gif

You better hope that post doesn't get quoted too often. ohmy.gif

Edited by snowdogged

Thanks for the gargantuan amount of info, snowdogged. wink.gif We've done some of those types of treatments on Stephen...not sure of any success, but they do seem to help some kids. Thanks for thinking of us.

All moms are special, missionman. heart.gif Thank you!