Rush's Working Man Performed on American Idol (GASP!)

Jag2112

You know what.... I should do this :facepalm: but I am not going too. I haven't really been watching the show much this year but believe it or not in years past I have. It wasn't that bad and like I have said before as an "old fan", any time my boys get props I am all for it..... :cheers:
  • Like 1

...and the performance by contestant Caleb Johnson wasn't that bad, either...

Read more about it and watch the video here: http://news.cygnus-x...eb-johnson.html

That's so cool. Thanks for sharing. :haz:

Edited by calirush

I was adament wether I should see it or not. Most of the time I'm left hugely disappointed. Not this time though, he did it justice. His voice is really powerful, but I'm not impressed with the house band. It's too nice.

Am I the only one who thinks he looked at lot like Jack Black at times? ;)

• Like 1

Anyone know what the judges had to say?

From the link:

The judges were largely impressed, too. Harry Connick, Jr. felt that Caleb, if not the performance, was a bit predictable while Keith Urban enjoyed the performance but suggested Caleb exit the band environment and focus more on being a solo artist. Jennifer Lopez, however, absolutely loved the performance and was "waiting for something like this all night".

At first I thought singing Working Man on Idol was a terrible idea simply because a lot of viewers/voters are young pop-fans who probably never heard the song before. But Caleb killed it (the band rocked too) and the audience seemed to really like it. It was probably one of the heaviest songs ever done on Idol.

If Caleb does another Rush song on Idol what do you think would be a good choice? I think he should choose something that more viewers would have heard before and has a good vocal melody. I think Spirit of Radio or Limelight would be good choices.

Anyone know what the judges had to say?

From the link:

The judges were largely impressed, too. Harry Connick, Jr. felt that Caleb, if not the performance, was a bit predictable while Keith Urban enjoyed the performance but suggested Caleb exit the band environment and focus more on being a solo artist. Jennifer Lopez, however, absolutely loved the performance and was "waiting for something like this all night".

harry connick jr and keith urban are idol judges now?

Sorry, that sounded better than the real thing all the way Around.

:eyeroll: Let's not go crazy.

Yeah, instrumentally, Alex and Geddy still rule, but, to my ears, this drummer really owns Neil on this song, at least, anymore.

You made me watch it again just to see what I missed the first time. I didn't miss anything.

Happy trolling this thread. :LOL:

• Like 2

Yeah, instrumentally, Alex and Geddy still rule, but, to my ears, this drummer really owns Neil on this song, at least, anymore.

I agree. Neil never really played Working Man very well. It's just a simple loose groove that he could never really get the hang of. The drummer from american idol just played a more contemporary version of what was on the album, and he did a very good job of adding his own flavor without detracting from the song. Everytime Neil plays Working Man he throws in all of these groove-killing fills that the song doesn't need.

I agree. Neil never really played Working Man very well. It's just a simple loose groove that he could never really get the hang of. The drummer from american idol just played a more contemporary version of what was on the album, and he did a very good job of adding his own flavor without detracting from the song. Everytime Neil plays Working Man he throws in all of these groove-killing fills that the song doesn't need.

The both of yas, report to the front desk and turn in your badges. Now! :LOL:

http://www.vulture.c...ts-perform.html

"Caleb is definitely the most committed to putting on a show, and he gives “Working Man” the big-personality treatment that Geddy Lee never could"

Geddy Lee could never give Working Man a "big-personality treatment"? Thats a pretty bold statment (which I disagree with wholeheartedly)...but props to Caleb for deviating from the norm. At least he did it quite well in his own way and he is an actual Rush fan...just imagine if one of the other hacks they usually have on that show tried to butcher Rush's material...not that I care in the slightest for an overrated popularity contest like American Idol.

Edited by edm2112

^^ Yeah It made my day when I heard the interview before the performance. He was talking about his past as a Rush fan. He said something like "I listened to Rush everyday on the way to class, and as soon as I got out I was listening to Rush". He professed the experiences of many a Rush fan on national TV, so I couldn't help but smile.
  • Like 1