WHERE did you first hear RUSH?

third hand grace

Sometime around 2005 I was listening to Pandora, and MArathon came on,, Still in my top five fav Rush songs

my dad always blasted music in the basement when he worked out. Our playroom was down there so my brother and I always listened to good stuff ;)

I remember, very clearly, hearing Tom Sawyer. I'm positive he played other songs by Rush, but that one sticks out because as a kid I thought it was so insanely catchy, and I fell in love with it :)

I may have heard Rush at rock discos in '78, but I wouldn't have known it and I could never catch/understand the name of the artist when the 'DJ' announced them, mainly due to piss-poor sound quality. With that in mind it took ages to discover that distinctive riff belonged to a song called Layla, by Derek & the Dominoes, which wasn't played tirelessly on the radio at the time.

Coming back to thread, I read a review of Hemispheres in Sounds (3 out 5 stars I think, but should have been a 5!) and was tempted. Wasn't too sure about the vocals, but the music was canny and eventually you come to love Ged's early singing.

I heard it them in 1976 too, a faint echo as I creeped telepathically through Tony's mind looking for clues to his humanity! It kind of scared me at the time... :o :smoke:

Flaming telepath, the joke's on you!!!

On the radio. It was 1974 on "101 WMMS, The Home Of The Buzzard" out of Cleveland Ohio. Working Man was the song. I've been hooked ever since!

Old bastard!

;)

I heard it them in 1976 too, a faint echo as I creeped telepathically through Tony's mind looking for clues to his humanity! It kind of scared me at the time... :o :smoke:

Flaming telepath, the joke's on you!!!

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/147/7/4/blue_oyster_cult_pan_x_11_of_n_by_devicefailure-d3hdo5s.jpg

My older cousins would always listen to Rush. I'd hear them talking about them all the time, but when we had family get togethers, I was excluded from the listening parties. I guess 15 year olds don't want 10 year olds cramping their style. One day back in 1980, I was listening to the radio, and I heard the DJ say "and that's Fly By Night, from Rush". I had heard that song many times before, but never knew it was Rush. I was so excited to finally know what my cousins were listening to. I asked for the Fly By Night album for Christmas that year, and the first time I heard Bytor and the Snowdog...I was in love. :haz:

You are therefore the Illinois Snow Pooch!

I don't remember exactly, I just know that it was some time in the 70s on a rock radio station and that the song was almost certainly Fly By Night. I knew of Rush from Fly By Night when I first started hearing The Spirit Of Radio and Freewill on WRCN, which was the station I listened to constantly at that time. After that, it only took me 30 years to start liking them! :LOL:

When I was little, like maybe 5 years old or so, my dad would put on 2112 and kinda play along to the guitar parts. I had a little toy microphone and I would sing the vocals. However, I couldn't understand a word Geddy was saying. I actually thought he was just singing nonsensical noises that sounded good, so that's what I would sing too. Hilarious stuff, I'm sure. After that I listened to albums as they came out in the 90's, but I rediscovered the older stuff in middle school (including the actual lyrics).

in basement bars?

in backs of cars?

• Like 2

The bathroom. My brother had borrowed ESL from a friend and bought RTB for Dreamline and Ghose of a Chance and left the CDs in the bathroom where one of our 2 CD players was located.

When I was about 11 I heard TSOR, fittingly, on a little portable radio tuned to DC101. I remember thinking initially that I couldn't believe that Styx was so good. Not much later I was enamored with TS, but the big moment came when I was at a friend's house in Fairfax, VA, and asked if he had heard TS. He marched me over to the stereo, put headphones on me and fired up side A of MP. 33 years, and I can trace it back to that moment...

I tell this story repeatedly so will cut it short. 1979, in a pint race with a mate, we'd been drinking all day and ended up at the Floral Hall, a rock night club with a10,000 watt PA. Fell asleep and woke up thinking I was at the beach as Natural Science started and the rest is history.

My brother put on 2112 and Fly By Night for me, about 1979 or '80. And just Xanadu from A Farewell to Kings. That was all it took. It's been a very long time, and here I still am. :)