Dennis DeYoung of Styx on Rush's 2112

clem

Hi folks, I'm Joc and new here. I'm actually the opposite of Mika in that I've always been a long-time Styx fan and, until recently, more of a casual Rush fan. It's been great going back over 40 years of music and listening to the songs I knew and discovering many for the first time.

I never saw any comparison between 2112 and Kilroy, but while I loved Kilroy as a kid I can only listen to some of the songs from that album now. I can listen to 2112 in its entirety and not get tired of it.

Mika, if you're interested in hearing Styx when they were their best I'd suggest anything before Cornerstone, including the ones they put out on Wooden Nickel. :)

Hi folks, I'm Joc and new here. I'm actually the opposite of Mika in that I've always been a long-time Styx fan and, until recently, more of a casual Rush fan. It's been great going back over 40 years of music and listening to the songs I knew and discovering many for the first time.

I never saw any comparison between 2112 and Kilroy, but while I loved Kilroy as a kid I can only listen to some of the songs from that album now. I can listen to 2112 in its entirety and not get tired of it.

Mika, if you're interested in hearing Styx when they were their best I'd suggest anything before Cornerstone, including the ones they put out on Wooden Nickel. :)

I love that I know what you're talking about! If I'd read this just a few weeks ago, I'd be like, "Cornerstone, huh... which album is that one... what year was that.... What is 'Wooden Nickel'?" but now I'm savvy! :D

I'm still slowly getting into them, as their entire discography is randomly played along with several other groups' discographies on my ipod, so Styx songs are scattered and totally unchronological. And I've only just started telling when it's Dennis singing or Tommy singing, and discovering I really enjoy Tommy's voice....

I know how much fun it is to be freshly discovering a 'new' band, so I wish you lots of fun with listening to Rush! There's so much good music here to 'discover'!

Oh, and speaking of the 'Wooden Nickel' era, I've had 'Light Up' stuck in my head for the past day or two! It's very bouncy.

• Like 1

I love that I know what you're talking about! If I'd read this just a few weeks ago, I'd be like, "Cornerstone, huh... which album is that one... what year was that.... What is 'Wooden Nickel'?" but now I'm savvy! :D

I'm still slowly getting into them, as their entire discography is randomly played along with several other groups' discographies on my ipod, so Styx songs are scattered and totally unchronological. And I've only just started telling when it's Dennis singing or Tommy singing, and discovering I really enjoy Tommy's voice....

I know how much fun it is to be freshly discovering a 'new' band, so I wish you lots of fun with listening to Rush! There's so much good music here to 'discover'!

Oh, and speaking of the 'Wooden Nickel' era, I've had 'Light Up' stuck in my head for the past day or two! It's very bouncy.

Glad you found a new band! Not to be picky, but 'Light Up' isn't from the Wooden Nickel era...but it's close. That was on their first record under a 'legitimate' label (A&M) from 1975. I also don't mind Cornerstone nor Paradise Theater - although those two are definitely more 'pop' than 'rock'.

Clem

Ah - Just double-checked, and you're right - 'Light Up' is from Equinox, the last album before Tommy Shaw joined, I believe. Not sure why I was thinking it was from the second album, The Serpent is Rising... I must have been thinking of something else!

And I should really try listening to the albums start-to-finish instead of all randomly, and get a feel for their vibe.... Actually, I'll do that today! It's house chore day, so I'll pop on my ipod and listen to a few albums! And wiggle Triumph in there, too....

ETA: put my Styx albums on random, and my ipod gave me 'Big Bang Theory'. Not classic Styx, I'm sure, but a good collection of songs! I like how there are different vocal styles, depending on who's singing. Tommy Shaw still remains my favourite. :wub:

And... didya know... Tommy's about exactly one month younger than our dear Geddy. And he's rocking the long hair, too! :)

Ok, sorry to derail this thread....

Edited by Mika
  • Like 1

I like Styx. Big fan. That said, I see no real comparisons here, and certainly no qualitative ones. :D

Ironically Rush's 2112 is considered by (many) fans and (much of) the music media as Rush's signature album...arguably their most important, if not also their best. The same can't be said for Kilroy Was Here, which is largely perceived to be Styx's version of Kiss's The Elder. For those unfamiliar with the specifics of that reference, that's not a compliment.

Edited by Presto-digitation

The Grand Illusion and Pieces Of Eight are fantastic rock albums.

Aside from these nothing else grabs me.

The Grand Illusion and Pieces Of Eight are fantastic rock albums.

Aside from these nothing else grabs me.

Seriously???

http://youtu.be/5zoErgDyJzA

Flip sake no one is ever happy til I change my mind!

That was awesome.

• Like 1

Without DDY there is no Styx. Saw the recent version of Styx with no DeYoung, and I was disappointed. I paid like 40 bucks for cheap seats and these jokers played a 65 minute set, and there wasn't an opening band. JY and Tommy rocked it, but that Gowan guy was horrible. No one can sing or play keys like Dennis. And don't get me started on that stupid rotating keyboard that pretender has. I'd rather see DeYoung live than lame Styx. Most of their best songs are Dennis songs, Suite Madame Blue, Castle Walls, Grand Illusion, Lady, Queen of Spades, Borrowed Time, Born for Adventure.... the list goes on and on.

Oh, and before I'm done with my Styx rant I've gotta say that Tommy Shaw comes off as way more of a d-bag in interviews than Dennis. Sure, Dennis DeYoung is an arrogant prick, but he's honest and speaks his mind. His no-bullshit personality is kind of refreshing for a rock star. On the other hand Tommy acts all high and mighty about keeping Styx a true rock band that stays away from sappy ballads like DDY wrote. He talks alot of shit every chance he gets. Get your head out of your ass Tommy, some of your songs are drenched in serious cheese too.

Styx peaked with Equinox. I think I forgot what this thread was about, so that is all. :rantoff:

Wow, there is a video Gayer than "Time Stand Still".

You had to use that word.

I know you are probably not a big fan of using that word in that context and I don't but I really think at least the majority of the time there is no malicious intent meant when people use it that way. I doubt that helps any and I probably shouldn't even post this but I just wanted you to know somebody else noticed. Words can hurt for sure but how bad does this one bother you when used in this way? Just curious and always trying to learn something every day in this life.... :)
  • Like 1

With no disrespect to Styx fans,

Styx, to me begins with "The Grand Illusion" and ends with "Pieces of Eight".

Two fantastic albums.

With no disrespect to anyone, Styk begins and ends for me with how fast I can grab the tuning knob.

• Like 1

When 'Babe' came out everyone bar misty eyed babes(sorry)dropped them like hot potatos.Such was my disdain at this shocker that i was unaware of Kilroy until a few years ago and found this to be just as bad.Comparing Kilroy to 2112 is like comparing In a Gadda da Vida to the Ramones.

Styx are amazing. Their best work rivals Rush, but Kilroy absolutely Stynx.

Really blows. Thank goodness I didn't start my journey into the world of Styx with this heap of laughably inane, turgid, pop dross. Arg, hideous album!

Styx are amazing. Their best work rivals Rush...

Technically, true. Like, Grand Illusion is better than — depending upon one's taste, of course — either Roll the Bones or Test for Echo. I wouldn't nominate anything else, though.

• Like 1

Technically, true. Like, Grand Illusion is better than — depending upon one's taste, of course — either Roll the Bones or Test for Echo. I wouldn't nominate anything else, though.

I honestly think Grand Illusion and Pieces Of Eight match MP.

• Like 1

Found this on a Styx board. I'm a big fan of them, although Kilroy was not one of their more profound moments. For the record (pardon the pun), I NEVER saw any similarity between these two albums. DDY has a very annoying sense of "humor", so be prepared to groan a bit.....

Clem

===================

Over the years I have read that some people believe Kilroy Was Here was a rip off of Rush's album 2112. Mostly Rush fans. So today for the first time ever I looked up 2112 and read the plot line and song list(have I mentioned were in the grip of a polar vortex here and...I'm bored).

Though I have great respect for Rush, I have never owned a Rush album and know them mostly from their songs that made the radio; Tom Sawyer, Fly by Night, Closer to the Heart. I was surprised to find that I didn't recognize any of the song titles on this album. I guess what I'm getting at is if there are ANY similarities between 2112 and Kilroy it's totally coincidental.

Remember great minds think alike, unfortunately so do mediocre and stupid ones. Neil Peart who wrote the lyrics and story of 2112 based his concept on an Ayn Rand book entitled Anthem. He has since denounced his love of her writings and blamed it on the musings of his youth. I have never denounced Kilroy, but I do regret not making him Chinese given the way there world has turned. Thank you very much Mr Roboto in Chinese is Fei Chang Xie xie Xiansheng Ji Qi Ren, catchy huh, on second thought.

Peart's vision of the future was about an intergalactic group of priests who utilize computers to dominate all areas of society kind of like the IRS but with zappers. On the other hand Dr. Righteous is simply a cable network owner whose part preacher and politician, though unelected. His goal is to simply ban rock music with a group of like minded anti first amendment thugs, increase his networks viewership and make himself rich. He even has his own brand of fried chicken. (He's Branding). In the original draft he was a failed rock musician who'd found the righteous path, so to speak.

2112 has the Red Star of the Solar Federation and the temple of the Syrinx. Neil's thinking big thinks here while Kilroy only has little old Dr Righteous and the Majority for Musical Morality. Wimpy by comparison. Hell Rush had the whole damn galaxy no wonder they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Rush's hero finds a guitar learns how to play it and attempts to bring back the old ways but finds resistance from you know who, the Syrinx cat's. He becomes despondent and commits suicide. Bummer.

In Kilroy Jonathan Chance has the guitar passed to him by his mentor Kilroy and vows to fight to keep rock alive. ("Damn it Kilroy"). Does he succeed, who knows, but it's hopeful. However if current music trends are any indication, Miley Cyrus's tongue, Lady Ga Ga's designer and Bruno Mars fancy footwork have done more to kill rock music then twenty Dr Righteous's. Face it kids Pop rules!

I could keep blabbering on here but I noticed the sun just came out and it's nearly reached 10 degrees so in conclusion, I never ever knew anything about 2112 when I came up with the Kilroy concept (it would be fun to say it was all Neil Peart's fault) and to me the similarities are oblique at best, besides if you are looking for the originators of these kinds of ideas I suggest Fritz Lang's Metropolis and of course Orwells 1984. By the way Rush fans Syrinx...Styx...Syrinx...Styx...hmmmm I wonder. cheers ddy

Hahahaha! Ducky! I love STYNX! SYRINX STYNX SYRINX STYNKS!!!!

I know you are probably not a big fan of using that word in that context and I don't but I really think at least the majority of the time there is no malicious intent meant when people use it that way. I doubt that helps any and I probably shouldn't even post this but I just wanted you to know somebody else noticed. Words can hurt for sure but how bad does this one bother you when used in this way? Just curious and always trying to learn something every day in this life.... :)

If the world uses the same word to describe you, and many people also use that word as an insult, don't you think that would hurt?

If the world uses the same word to describe you, and many people also use that word as an insult, don't you think that would hurt?

Geez man I was just trying to empathize some and ask a question because I was sincerely curious. Pardon me...

Geez man I was just trying to empathize some and ask a question because I was sincerely curious. Pardon me...

I was just answering your question. Rather matter-of-factly, I might add.