The Incredible, under rated Mr. Alex Lifeson.

tas7

It's not his precise cutting rhythm guitar or his soaring solos that amaze me but those crazy time signature, syncopated riffs that are his trade mark such as in Jacob's Ladder after, "All at once..." or after the solo in La Villa Stangiato.
  • Like 4

I didn't think he was underrated, but rather it was just typical anti-Canadian bias in the world's press. Stop oppressing us! ;) J/K Edited by gudbuytjane

Whoever would underrate Alex, I would love to hear them play and see if they can do better.

Pretty much this. Also, keep in mind that the competition on Best Guitar is always far more intense and more crowded than that on Best Bass and Best Drums. When most people think of rock instrumentals, the first thing they picture is a guy wailing away on the guitar. Many people try to do that at one point, but few can actually do it well. And very few can do it as well as Alex. Sure there are the guitar gods like Clapton, Van Halen, and Hendrix, but what drives those guys is nothing short of being attached to the instrument like it's part of their bodies.

• Like 1

I didn't think he was underrated, but rather it was just typical anti-Canadian bias in the world's press. Stop oppressing us! ;) J/K

Come and see the anti-Canadian bias inherent in the system. Help! Help! We're being repressed!

• Like 4

I didn't think he was underrated, but rather it was just typical anti-Canadian bias in the world's press. Stop oppressing us! ;) J/K

Come and see the anti-Canadian bias inherent in the system. Help! Help! We're being repressed!

Okay, hold on. Just as soon as the U.S. figures out what to do with this Syria mess, we'll take care of your oppression thing. Unless you give us more of your oil sands, in which case we'll be right the f**k there. :LMAO:

But compared to any other guitarist, no one else combines all those elements of chord, half chord, riff and solo in such a precise way and in just a couple of minutes. Anyone who says Freewill is easy to play is lying.

Okay, hold on. Just as soon as the U.S. figures out what to do with this Syria mess, we'll take care of your oppression thing. Unless you give us more of your oil sands, in which case we'll be right the f**k there. :LMAO:

Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see her repressing me? You saw her, didn't you?

There's been so much appreciation, and talk of how "underrated he is" over the past several years, that at this point he's probably at the appropriate amount of rating.

We all love what he does with a guitar, although some albums have less memorable guitar playing.

Personally, I like that he's been on Trailer Park Boys three times.

I started out wanting to play like Blackmore and Page, flirted with Howe and Fripp, never wanted to go twiddly a la Van Halen and Satriani but when I discovered Lifeson he had everything I wanted in my playing. The only other guitarist I have used in my playing is another under rated guitarist by the name of Steve Hillage.
  • Like 1

I started out wanting to play like Blackmore and Page, flirted with Howe and Fripp, never wanted to go twiddly a la Van Halen and Satriani but when I discovered Lifeson he had everything I wanted in my playing. The only other guitarist I have used in my playing is another under rated guitarist by the name of Steve Hillage.

So Howe is to Fripp as Lifeson is to Hillage?

As I read your post I was hoping Lifeson would be paired with Gilmour for some reason.. lol.

Maybe I'll look up this Hillage guy.. ;)

• Like 1

Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see her repressing me? You saw her, didn't you?

There's some lovely filth over here, Dennis.

• Like 1

Alex is under rated because people don't understand his genius. Hendrix, Van Halen, Stevie Ray, etc. shove it down your throat. They're obviously good and you'd have to be an idiot to miss it.

Alex's genius is a little left of center.Plus in a band where everybody shines, often at the same time, his playing can be missed if you're not paying attention. His genius lies in subtlety, finding where tones are lacking or filling voids, harmonies tones, making the odd seem normal. How many people can write a song with constantly changing time signatures and make it radio friendly to the point where people don't even notice the time signatures. Limelight constantly revolves through 4/4, 3/4, 6/8 and 7/8 time signatures and flows beautifully.

He does get under rated but only by people who have never tried to play it.

• Like 3