Did they play The Fountain Of Lamneth or not?

YYZumbi

I’ve heard that said before too. I couldn’t imagine them not playing some of the sections of Fountain because they were trying to promote the album in 1975. There are some really kick-ass rockin’ parts of Fountain that if played, the audience wouldn’t likely even know that it was part of a 20 minute epic song.

I question the accuracy of this list. FBN has never been a show opener (that I've ever heard of). Rush is not known for switching up their setlists much throughout a tour, and the one bootleg from that tour has a markedly different setlist:

Bastille Day

Anthem

Lakeside Park

The Necromancer

By-Tor And the Snow Dog

Working Man/Drum Solo

In The Mood

Maybe they did switch it up entirely one night, but I doubt it. Also, the set listed there is kinda long for an opening band, no?

Setlist taken from http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/setlists.php

I was at this show (the opener was Joe Mendelson) and the opening song was indeed Bastille Day.

To the best of my failing recollection, parts of The Fountain were played in a kind of medely that was both missing parts and in a different order.

I see one set list shows the date being November '75 and the other shows January '76.

I remember it was cold out.....

I don't think it was ever played live in it's entirety.

Hope this helps.....

• Like 4

A 7-song set. I can't even imagine, given how I've only seen them in the past 10 years. I see lots of various indie bands, and it's just weird to think of Rush being at that level at one point in their careers. It's very interesting.

Sorry, I digress.

I put the same amount of faith in setlist fm as I do Wikipedia....

For what it's worth, Alex doesn't recall it ever being played because he said they were opening at the point and it would have taken too much time in the set. There's a possibility it might have been played during the odd headlining gig such as the one in Toronto in January 1976.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/Tours.htm

This site has been pretty accurate with their information. It states that TFOL was never performed live, and I tend to think that's probably true given the short amount of time Rush was able to play during their sets in those days. Also, since CoS was a commercial flop I would imagine that only Bastille Day and Lakeside Park made it on to set lists later in their career.

For what it's worth, Alex doesn't recall it ever being played because he said they were opening at the point and it would have taken too much time in the set. There's a possibility it might have been played during the odd headlining gig such as the one in Toronto in January 1976.

and neil didn't remember playing the camera eye, which mostly everyone on this board has seen performed

I can't imagine them not wanting to play some of the more "rocking" parts...maybe during a medley or jam or something (if rush ever had a "jam" onstage)

I was always curious about this myself. If my band released our first 20 minute song, and we were really proud of it, then I'd imagine we would do whatever it takes to play it live, or at least part of it. I'm also constantly perplexed at how they managed to play the full 2112 sans The Oracle for so long. It's only 2 minutes longer!

Rush is infuriating when it comes to setlists.

• Like 2

I was always curious about this myself. If my band released our first 20 minute song, and we were really proud of it, then I'd imagine we would do whatever it takes to play it live, or at least part of it. I'm also constantly perplexed at how they managed to play the full 2112 sans The Oracle for so long. It's only 2 minutes longer!

Rush is infuriating when it comes to setlists.

While they loved Fountain of Lamneth, it was nothing compared to 2112, which essentially saved their careers. They had to play 2112. They didn't really need to play Fountain of Lamneth.

Wikipedia has a lot more credibility than setlist fm on old concerts. At least Wikipedia has credible sources...and if not you can see that.

and neil didn't remember playing the camera eye, which mostly everyone on this board has seen performed

I can't imagine them not wanting to play some of the more "rocking" parts...maybe during a medley or jam or something (if rush ever had a "jam" onstage)

They had jams before Neil.

x2.. I was also at this show (opened by was it

McKenna Mendelson Mainline? - I just remember blues grunge and they were pretty crazy & so Canadian!)

Anyway I will confirm the opening song was 100% Bastille Day. So the setlist is wrong.

I also agree that mid-show there could have been parts of The Fountain played (in a kind of medley)

Lots of dark stage moments with spotlights in purples and blues, very old-school theatrics. Projection screen behind the band.

By-Tor and the Snow Dog was insane, definitely a highlight in its "entirety"!

Necromancer was in there.

The show closed out with the staples in the Mood and FBN, Working Man might have been the encore, not quite sure on those.

After the show at Massey we had some time to kill so we hiked the fire-escape stairs to a big black metal door- and there was noise etc. So one of my buddies (there was 5 of us) bangs on the door. In like 5 or 6 seconds it opens (road manager) and I was staring at Alex holding a Molson Ex and eating a grape from the post-show buffet. As a 16 yo guitar-playing kid I was so stunned I almost p ---sed myself, turned around and friends gone, running down the stairs. Yeah I took off too!

• Like 2

x2.. I was also at this show (opened by was it

McKenna Mendelson Mainline? - I just remember blues grunge and they were pretty crazy & so Canadian!)

Anyway I will confirm the opening song was 100% Bastille Day. So the setlist is wrong.

I also agree that mid-show there could have been parts of The Fountain played (in a kind of medley)

Lots of dark stage moments with spotlights in purples and blues, very old-school theatrics. Projection screen behind the band.

By-Tor and the Snow Dog was insane, definitely a highlight in its "entirety"!

Necromancer was in there.

The show closed out with the staples in the Mood and FBN, Working Man might have been the encore, not quite sure on those.

After the show at Massey we had some time to kill so we hiked the fire-escape stairs to a big black metal door- and there was noise etc. So one of my buddies (there was 5 of us) bangs on the door. In like 5 or 6 seconds it opens (road manager) and I was staring at Alex holding a Molson Ex and eating a grape from the post-show buffet. As a 16 yo guitar-playing kid I was so stunned I almost p ---sed myself, turned around and friends gone, running down the stairs. Yeah I took off too!

I think it was just Joe Mendelson & Mainline (or Mendelson's Mainline) and I remember it was a strange choice to open a Rush show. People were becoming quite restless by the time they were done. In contrast to the previous show where I was introduced to Max Webster for the first time, I think they even got an encore.

Thank you for confirming my recolllection of the Caress show that night. You are correct about The Necromancer. I think it was mixed in with The Fountain medely?.

Cool story about getting to the dressing room door. I'm sure you were shocked at just how easy it was to get there.

I remember leaving the 2112 show there, knowing it was being recorded I checked around the corner and sure enough there was a big fat bunch of cables running out of the building into what looked like a constuction trailer with baracades all around it. The door was open because it was so hot that night so I just poked my head inside and saw the 2" reel to reel tape machine that had All The Worlds A Stage on it before being told to "get the #@&% out of there!".

Take Care

Edited by Hear Again

Good to hear from people that actually got to see these shows live...well that remembered them... I have an old friend that said he was at one of the Caress era shows, where they opened for Kiss... but was so wasted that he didn't remember anything from it... The setlist is probably the same as the boot that exists, so...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the ancient rumor that Geddy's brother/cousin/some relative has a soundboard boot of the Toronto show discussed here with Fountain in it but this has never been confirmed by anyone. I believe the witnesses that maybe parts of it were played in their rare at the time headlining show but I can't imagine they ever played the whole thing if they didn't even play all of 2112 when they toured for that. Cool to hear from people that were there!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the ancient rumor that Geddy's brother/cousin/some relative has a soundboard boot of the Toronto show discussed here with Fountain in it but this has never been confirmed by anyone. I believe the witnesses that maybe parts of it were played in their rare at the time headlining show but I can't imagine they ever played the whole thing if they didn't even play all of 2112 when they toured for that. Cool to hear from people that were there!

I think that's been stomped into the ground so much that people are just ignoring that anymore.... I think there's another thread somewhere here with a few people that actually talked to the purported owner of the Holy Grail back when it was being dangled...

If you want a setlist of a show that's been played in the last 5-10 years, setlist fm is pretty accurate. How huge the internet is now has helped that site greatly. But something from almost 40 years ago? Unless someone wrote the setlist down at the show, there's no way to know for sure.

I would love for them to play The Fountain of Lamneth.

If only. I'm hoping for part of it in a medley (fingers crossed for "No One at the Bridge"). It's definitely a song that deserves to be revisited, it shows how astonishingly creative they were even when they were super young
  • Like 3

I would love for them to play The Fountain of Lamneth.

If only. I'm hoping for part of it in a medley (fingers crossed for "No One at the Bridge"). It's definitely a song that deserves to be revisited, it shows how astonishingly creative they were even when they were super young

I was personally hoping for at least Panacea. That is one of the most beautiful little songs I have ever heard in my life. I wonder who it was written for and about? Do you happen to know if Neil wrote those lyrics? Or was it Geddy?

I think they wrote some of their best in the seventies. They were musically brilliant. That entire album fit in so very perfectly with the times back then. But, as with AFTK, I never heard it on the radio.