KISS not to play at RRHOF ceremony...

laughedatbytime

Once Kiss were revealed as Class of 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees, the big question that arose was whether the band’s original lineup would perform together at the ceremony. Now, to the disappointment of their fans, it’s been announced that KISS won’t perform in any form at the April 10 event in Brooklyn, N.Y.

It’s been a whirlwind few days of statements from all of the band’s original members, with guitarist Ace Frehley first revealing that he and fellow former member Peter Criss would not be performing with Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley at the ceremony.

“I don’t think Kiss fans are gonna be too excited and happy about the news, ’cause at this juncture, Paul and Gene have decided to perform with [current members] Tommy [Thayer] and Eric [singer], and it looks like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is going along with it,” Frehley told radio host Eddie Trunk on his Friday night program.

Then, drummer Criss chimed in with his own statement, saying, “I feel bad for the fans who were looking forward to the four of us being inducted together … I wanted to make sure that fans understood that no original performance, in or out of makeup, has been offered to us before they purchased their tickets.”

Once these statements were made public, Simmons and Stanley, the two current founding members of Kiss, dropped the final bombshell on fans, stating that they wanted to perform with Frehley and Criss, as long as additional current and former members would be able to participate in the festivities, as well. But when that couldn’t happen, they decided to pull out of performing altogether.

Their full statement via their official website reads as follows:

To All Our Fans In Regards To The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:

Out of respect, Ace and Peter’s recent statements demand a quick response to you, our fans.

Our intention was to celebrate the entire history of KISS and give credit to all members including present long time present members Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer, and additionally Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr all who have made this band what it is, regardless of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame’s point of view.

Although KISS has moved forward far longer without them, Ace and Peter are at the very foundation of what we have built and this would all be impossible had they not been a part of it in the beginning.

It is over 13 years since the original lineup has played together in make-up and we believe the memory of those times would not be enhanced. Contrary to claims made through the media we have never refused to play with Ace and Peter.

We have spent 40 years dedicated to building KISS without quitting or wavering as the band has moved forward with huge tours and platinum albums through different important lineups for forty years, to this day.

KISS has always been a band unlike any other. That is why we started KISS. That is why we continue KISS. Being unlike other bands also means making choices and decisions unlike other bands.

This is understandably an emotional situation where there is no way to please everyone.

To bring this to a quick end, we have decided not to play in any line-up and we will focus our attention on celebrating our induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

We are excited and are looking forward to seeing you all on the KISS 40th Anniversary worldwide tour.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony will take place April 10 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. Along with KISS, other inductees include Nirvana, Hall & Oates, Peter Gabriel and more.

Read More: Kiss Won't Perform at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony | http://loudwire.com/kiss-wont-perform-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction-ceremony/?trackback=tsmclip

Kiss has really been on the decline lately. I found it hard to watch one of their latest concert films...Paul is losing his voice considerably...Gene just growls through songs...I think its more of an insult to the fans who have been waiting like we all waited for Rush...albeit the talent was far superior in our case. At least the boys saw past the idea of the institution and graciously accepted their honor with style and blah, blah, blah...I think Kiss started losing grip after that last reunion tour. Nothing against Thayer and Singer...its just that they happened to jump onto a sinking ship, so to speak. They really could have handled it better than what they are doing. Gene could care less about the music at this point...hes a money man who is more interested in a brand than a band. After all the negative words about Peter and Ace over the years, i've come to the realization that, musically, they peaked after Love Gun and that's where my interest ends. But those first few albums were solid. I just think they're so concerned with trying to keep up some kind of image that they are so much better than the HOF and they're really showing their asses. I kinda feel bad for the folks who were going to get tickets to the ceremony to see a possible reunion...or any performance for that matter. I know they really helped Rush in the early days, and thats the time I'll associate with Kiss...not some pieced together group of rotating members...(huh-huh rotating members)

Take a page from the others who were inducted, though a lot of them felt cheated and overdue for induction...they all graciously accepted...if not for their sake, for the sake of the fans.

• Like 2

Gene couldn't care less about the music at this point...he's a money man who is more interested in a brand than a band.

His priorities have always been money, sex, fame, money, and sex......and more sex....and more money..... :eyeroll:

It's an awkward situation. To have all the members up there would be strange because you'd have two guys wearing the same makeup (two space aces and two cat men). It could be that Gene figured it could only work with one lineup and it would seem fair to use the most recent lineup since they lasted a lot longer. the first lineup was only around for about 6 years.

Personally, I prefer the original lineup, myself.

Does that mean we get the Dave Grohl version of "Rock and Roll all Night" now?

Though of course the original 4 members are why they're getting in the hall, I kind of do agree a bit that all members of KISS over their timeline should be represented in some aspect. Especially Eric Carr. This kind of sucks, and I'm not even that much of a fan. This must kill the KISS army.

I have been a KISS fan ever since I bought the Destroyer album way back in 1976 when I was a lad of just 13.

I think Peter's word, "disgraceful" is the perfect word for all of this.

I'm not terribly surprised, of course, Gene Simmons is still in the mix.

I can appreciate the current line-up and line-ups along the way, but what made KISS - KISS, was that original foundation.

Ace - Gene - Paul - Peter ... that is truly KISS, good, bad or otherwise.

That being said, I truly hope there is a special memorial, of sorts, for Eric Carr & Mark St. John.

While I've followed the band from "Kiss" to "Monster", KISS really ended at "Dynasty" for me.

This whole affair just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, disgraceful, indeed.

Another way to settle this is for KISS to be replaced altogether in the RRHOF. Maybe Yes could take their spot.
  • Like 4

It's an awkward situation. To have all the members up there would be strange because you'd have two guys wearing the same makeup (two space aces and two cat men). It could be that Gene figured it could only work with one lineup and it would seem fair to use the most recent lineup since they lasted a lot longer. the first lineup was only around for about 6 years.

How about if all the members are up there but only the original members wear the make-up? Seems like that would solve that problem.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 2

Yes! And the lyrics will be updated! They will go like this:

Yer f*cking shouting, yer f*cking shouting.....

I....f*cking want to f*cking rock and roll all f*cking night

And f*cking party every f*cking day

;) ;)

• Like 2

Yes! And the lyrics will be updated! They will go like this:

Yer f*cking shouting, yer f*cking shouting.....

;) ;)

It's funny because it's true. :laughing guy:

• Like 1

It just goes to show ya......when a band prioritizes self-promotion, fame, and fortune over musical excellence and integrity, there is a greater chance of the band falling into feuds, legal battles, and a very ignoble end. In short, they brought it on themselves.

Heart has had personnel changes over the years and they managed it. The guys in KISS have always been assholes. That's just all there is to it.

• Like 1

My take on Kiss and not performing at the HOF induction:

Honestly more than I think Gene and Paul are trying to stick it to Ace and Peter, I think as much they're trying to tell the Hall Of Fame that you can't dictate what we're going to do, how we're going to do it, etc. I think the decision not to play AT ALL had very little to do with Peter and Ace's public statements (as perceived so by many Kiss fans) and more to do with not letting the HOF determine every aspect of the night, which is the direction it had been going...(only the originals inducted, only the originals perform and it has to be in makeup, etc).

Honestly, I like that they've taken this route instead.

I've not been quiet in voicing my opinion that I think even a one-off performance will come across silly and maybe even disastrous, performance wise...from Peter to Paul's voice....to their fat, old selves. I think it would be a POOR, POOR way to remember the original lineup. Better still to have them dress up nicely, go up and speak....humbly accept this thing...maybe share a few on-stage laughs, and call it a day. I still very much look forward to this part! Let's let the reunion that happened starting 19 years ago this coming summer (beginning with the unplugged performance in '95) resonate and not be replaced by a lack-luster, poor job that fans will only piss and moan and make fun of the next day ANYWAY. That, I truly believe, is the inevitable response to "one last performance" together: ridicule. So why even do it?

So yeah, I'm glad they're not performing. They're saving themselves and us some cringe-inducing moments. You can build in your head what a GREAT memory this might be, but I suspect you'd only end up regretting it. It sounds better in your head and heart than it would in your ears, I can almost promise you.

It would be a poor sequel to their 1996 reunion.

It's about the induction anyhow. Fans seem to have forgotten what they were clamoring for to begin with. It was about getting acknowledged and appreciated. Now that's no f***ing big deal at all and it's a bitchfest over who's going to perform and who isn't...and they've TOTALLY forgotten why they cared to begin with. They're still getting inducted whether they play or not.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 2

Well put and I agree. Though that being said, I find it pretty sad that a band that is worthy of being inducted into the RRHOF, musicians who have been professionals (as musicians and entertainers) their entire adult life, most likely could not put together one song for one night that wouldn't be an embarrassment.
  • Like 1

Doesn't matter to me either way. I just can't see how two men are going to go onstage and wear the same makeup and costume.

Well put and I agree. Though that being said, I find it pretty sad that a band that is worthy of being inducted into the RRHOF, musicians who have been professionals (as musicians and entertainers) their entire adult life, most likely could not put together one song for one night that wouldn't be an embarrassment.

For sure they could put together at least one song and do it well, but that would take effort (to get along) and work to plan what to do, rehearse, etc... but this is KISS. For KISS to work and (gasp) get along without a big paycheck? Ha. Dinner and a tour of the "RRHOF" is not enough to make them get together and work.

If there is such a thing as a Bizzaro Rush, surely it is KISS.

• Like 1