All in the Family

Thunder Bay Rush

Maude: "Florida, you're not a maid, you're a 'housekeeper'"

Florida: "Yeah, a housekeeper by any other name gets paid the same".

I like the spinoff "Maude" with Bea Arthur. She was the polar opposite of Archie and she gave a mean mouthful on the AITF episode where her daughter Carol is getting married to a Jewish guy, but like Archie, her liberalism was a bit far fetched and she used reverse discrimination and stereotypes in many episodes. "jewish boys make the best husbands".

Her abortion episode was a MAJOR event on TV when it first aired.

I didn't realize Maude was a spinoff. But then again, we never watched that show at home because my parents thought it was too risqué or something. (I also wasn't allowed to watch Three's Company for the same reason. Oh well.)

I like the spinoff "Maude" with Bea Arthur. She was the polar opposite of Archie and she gave a mean mouthful on the AITF episode where her daughter Carol is getting married to a Jewish guy, but like Archie, her liberalism was a bit far fetched and she used reverse discrimination and stereotypes in many episodes. "jewish boys make the best husbands".

I didn't realize Maude was a spinoff. But then again, we never watched that show at home because my parents thought it was too risqué or something. (I also wasn't allowed to watch Three's Company for the same reason. Oh well.)

I watched Three's Company every week. Today, when I see old reruns of it, I ask myself, "How in the world could I have watched something so STUPID?" :laughing guy: Then I remind myself that I was a teenaged boy, who only wanted to look at Suzanne Somers' hooters.... :doh:

• Like 1

I like the spinoff "Maude" with Bea Arthur...

I just watched the pilot of Maude the other day. I don't know why i did, but it really stood up. The episode where she meets Floride for the first time is hilarious, how she falls over herself trying not to be racist. My politics are on the left, but I find the kind of liberalism that show lampooned well worth lampooning. ;)

I didn't realize Maude was a spinoff.

And 'Good Times' was a spinoff of 'Maude'! Norman Lear was good at extending his presence on TV.

Oh, and you know that 'The Jeffersons' was a spinoff of ATF, too, right?

When I was little, I became frightened of Maude. On the first episode, she bites Walter's hand after he makes a remark about her mothering abilities. I was about 4 years old when I saw that I was scared from that time forward.

Maude was the cousin of Archie's wife Edith. Bea Arthur guested on an episode when Archie and the family were sick with the flu. She came to take care of them and because she was such a sensation on it, they gave her her own show. And the same happened with Maude's housekeeper Florida. Florida often kept Maude in check with her own "one liners" that they developed "Good Times" for her. But Maude was never mentioned on Good Times and they made a few changes. She kept her name but on Good Times, she lived in Chicago. John Amos, who played her husband "james", was also her husband on Maude but under the name "Henry" and was a firefighter.

I watched Three's Company every week. Today, when I see old reruns of it, I ask myself, "How in the world could I have watched something so STUPID?" :laughing guy: Then I remind myself that I was a teenaged boy, who only wanted to look at Suzanne Somers' hooters.... :doh:

Typical of my taste then and now, I wanted to do Janet... :)

So, I'm guessing you liked Mary Ann more than Ginger? (Not that I'm complaining, I would have picked her, too!)

• Like 1

Mary Ann was the sexiest. She was clean and fresh-faced...and yes, because of her halter tops and shorts and exposed mid section. She's kept her looks intact all of these years. Must be all those coconut pies she baked.

I often wonder if anyone has ever thought Mrs. Howell was the sexiest.

So, I'm guessing you liked Mary Ann more than Ginger? (Not that I'm complaining, I would have picked her, too!)

Yes. Notice a pattern?... :D

Yes. Notice a pattern?... :D

BTW, I liked Bobby Jo too.... :D

Very brave and important show for its time, treading ground in ways you could only do on cable today. Network TV!?!? LOLOL!!! Not in this day and age. No one would have the balls and everyone would be offended if they did.

It was mentioned above, but the looks of exasperation Archie gives Edith when she goes on still makes me laugh until I hurt. The chemistry that O'Conner and Stapleton had was amazing.

I love it more today than when it aired (when I was young and didn't really understand it). Recommend it for anyone who's never watched it. At times it seems like pretty tame TV and then it gets ramped up in ways that will definitely turn your head and drop your jaw....

• Like 1

On the episode where Archie was worried about getting laid off from his job… he was trying to hide this fact so he told his family he was really only worried “the guys” he worked with, losing their jobs. He told his family that he could find another job easily.

Archie> “Well, we got little Emanuel. He has one leg shorter than the other… I mean if he gets laid off, he’ll have a hard time finding work. I mean, who the hell wants a spic with a bum leg?”

Then Archie shows his concern for Elmo, who is “blacker than the ace of spades.”

I imagine that on TV today… holy shit.

Loved it. Great show. My favorite:

Gloria: Daddy, hand guns are awful. Do you realize that 3,000 people were killed last year by guns!

Archie: Well would you prefer they was pushed out of windows?

Al Bundy was also a favorite of mine. Their views were mocked, not embraced. That was what made them work and why they were so funny. IMO

Now it's Tosh.O. That guy is as irreverent as they come. He is on TV today and what makes him great is he attacks everyone.

• Like 1

Yeah, that was the episode that convinced Norman Lear that she should have her own show. Later that season, an episode was written on All in the Family that served as the Maude pilot and took place at Maude's house where her daughter gets married. Archie and Edith show up and things start to go downhill.

Adrienne Barbeau would play the daughter Carol in the series. I met her and got her autograph.

Maude and Archie have it out!

http://youtu.be/V_FrB-hkiTc

Maude: That man had charisma!

Archie: I don't care if he was sick.....

Freaking brilliant...... :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Yeah, that was the episode that convinced Norman Lear that she should have her own show. Later that season, an episode was written on All in the Family that served as the Maude pilot and took place at Maude's house where her daughter gets married. Archie and Edith show up and things start to go downhill.

Adrienne Barbeau would play the daughter Carol in the series. I met her and got her autograph.

If I recall Miss Barbeau was one of my first adolescent crushes and realizing than men and women were most certainly different.... :blush:

Back in October 2006, there was a series that was put on in Durham, NC where 4 actresses would come to Durham and host a horror movie they starred in where they were considered heroines. Adrienne Barbeau came and hosted the film "The Fog" in which she played a DJ who would help save a town. It's one of my fave horror films. She did a question and answer session after the film about her life and career in acting and then she would sign autographs and take pics, etc...She autographed my copy of The Fog.

As a big fan of malapropisms, Archie was always one of my favourites:

"A witness shall not bear falsies against thy neighbor."

"Last will and tentacle…"

"A woman doctor is only good for women’s problems…like your groinocology."

"A menstrual show."

"the Women’s Lubrication Movement."

"That's the kind of luck poor Mr. Lincoln had the night he went to the movies....as he sat in John Wilkes' booth."

"It's a proven fact that capital punishment is a well-known detergent to crime."

"They just wanna get rid of us old guys over 50 that's all, and put us out to pasture. Well I ain't ready to be pasteurized!"

"I ain't got no respect for no religion where the head guy claims he can't make no mistakes. Like he's, waddya call, inflammable."

"I've gotta consecrate myself on this newspaper."

"two sheeps that pass in the night"

"They're gonna keep the ashes around the house in one of them silver urinals"

"I just don't want you to do nothing on the sperm of the moment."

"The sexual act was never constipated."

• Like 3