All in the Family

Thunder Bay Rush

A friend of mine just sent me the entire first season of All in the Family… some of THE funniest shit in the history of television. CLASSIC! I just watched 9 episodes in a row… and I don’t normally watch TV at all.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 2

I never liked this show because my stepdad was a real life Archie Bunker. It really sucked growing up.

My father was a "Bunker", although he could never admit it. We watched the show every week, and it was hilarious. Looking back to those days, I think I enjoyed the show in part because I could laugh out loud at Archie's stupidity and bigotry without getting hit.

But anyways, the show was brilliant. IMO, no sit-com has ever come close to matching Norman Lear's genius-level satire of American society. :ebert:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

Its so funny to think bout this show in relation to my father. My dad the super religious/man of science, prim and proper, never drink, smoke or curse loved this show and Mad magazine. I will never forget buying and reading Mad magazine in the early to mid 70's and finding my dad reading my copies and subsequently telling me how he used to read it himself and loved the satire. I was like WTF?.... My dad is something else for sure. Just when I think I have him pegged, he will surprise me sometimes... :)

A friend of mine just sent me the entire first season of All in the Family… some of THE funniest shit in the history of television. CLASSIC! I just watched 9 episodes in a row… and I don’t normally watch TV at all.

You have to get the years 2 through 4 to see the best of AITF. A very funny show that also dealt with so many sensitive issues (Vietnam, Watergate, Women's Lib, Black/White relations, homophobia, rape...). Agree with librarian's post about the faces Archie would make while Edith babbled on.Later in the series he would find ways to pretend to kill himself while she talked. One of the best shows of all time.

Some of televisions best spin offs came from this show also. I agree that it became not watchable in later years. Archie Bunker's Place and all that.... :no:

We watched that show when I was growing up, but even as a kid Archie bothered me. He's just such (or at least, I remember him being such) a racist, bigoted, homophobic, misogynistic, asshole. I always wondered what people saw in the show. Looking at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_in_the_Family) it describes the show as groundbreaking, simply because it put those issues mentioned out on the table. But I'm not sure I could stomach it today, regardless.
  • Like 1

We watched that show when I was growing up, but even as a kid Archie bothered me. He's just such (or at least, I remember him being such) a racist, bigoted, homophobic, misogynistic, asshole. I always wondered what people saw in the show. Looking at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....l_in_the_Family) it describes the show as groundbreaking, simply because it put those issues mentioned out on the table. But I'm not sure I could stomach it today, regardless.

There was no such thing as homophobia in those days. Maybe it's hard for you to grasp, but he was playing a character and a very funny one at that. PC society is taking over and that's a bad thing.

Do you really expect us to believe you even knew the word misogynistic much less what it meant as a kid? I smell "Monday morning All In The Family".

Edited by Fordgalaxy

We watched that show when I was growing up, but even as a kid Archie bothered me. He's just such (or at least, I remember him being such) a racist, bigoted, homophobic, misogynistic, asshole. I always wondered what people saw in the show. Looking at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....l_in_the_Family) it describes the show as groundbreaking, simply because it put those issues mentioned out on the table. But I'm not sure I could stomach it today, regardless.

Well yeah, that was the point of his character.

We watched that show when I was growing up, but even as a kid Archie bothered me. He's just such (or at least, I remember him being such) a racist, bigoted, homophobic, misogynistic, asshole. I always wondered what people saw in the show. Looking at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_in_the_Family) it describes the show as groundbreaking, simply because it put those issues mentioned out on the table. But I'm not sure I could stomach it today, regardless.

Agreed. The show just isn't my bag, if you know what I mean. I was born in 1973, which may explain that in part (the kinds of things I find funny, versus those that I don't), but I'm OK with that, really.

I do have an old "Meathead for President" pin/button that I picked up quite a few years ago. :)

There was no such thing as homophobia in those days. Maybe it's hard for you to grasp, but he was playing a character and a very funny one at that. PC society is taking over and that's a bad thing.

Do you really expect us to believe you even knew the word misogynistic much less what it meant as a kid? I smell "Monday morning All In The Family".

The term homophobia was first used in the USA in 1969. Maybe it's hard for YOU to grasp, but fear and hatred of gay people have always existed. Today, we just happen to call it "homophobia". We can call it any name we wish, but it still exists.

Archie Bunker feared and despised anyone who was different than him, thought differently than he thought, and lived differently than he lived. He was a funny character because he represented almost everything that was wrong about U.S. society. We were laughing AT him - not with him.

I think you just don't get it and thats ok. There are many things I don't get in life either. Like some others have already said, the point of the show is all of the things he is and things he isn't. Also the show covered major social topics that are still relevant today.... It may be an acquired taste for someone who didn't grow up with it... :) Edited by Narpzilla
  • Like 1

I understand where you're coming from. I would have never spent one night in the Bunker household, as Archie was such a repulsive man. The genius of the show was a mixture of a satire of U.S. society (and all its problems with bigotry, politics, religion, etc.) and the strength of the characters and how they dealt with each other.

The climax of the series, IMO, was when Mike and Gloria moved away. In spite of all their fighting, they all came to admit that they did, in fact, love each other as a family. Archie and Mike each realized that the other wasn't all bad.....that there was some good in him.

• Like 1

I understand where you're coming from. I would have never spent one night in the Bunker household, as Archie was such a repulsive man. The genius of the show was a mixture of a satire of U.S. society (and all its problems with bigotry, politics, religion, etc.) and the strength of the characters and how they dealt with each other.

The climax of the series, IMO, was when Mike and Gloria moved away. In spite of all their fighting, they all came to admit that they did, in fact, love each other as a family. Archie and Mike each realized that the other wasn't all bad.....that there was some good in him.

Folks, ignore my post. PM said it way better than I ever could and attempted too... :sigh: :notworthy:

Pardon me?

First off, maybe it's hard for *you* to grasp, but homophobia has always existed regardless of what it may have been called. If you think that the elimination of homophobia and hatred is a bad thing, well then, I'm very glad you are not a friend of mine.

Secondly, are you doubting my intelligence? What makes you think you know what I understood as a child? Not that I have to explain anything to you, but I was not a small child when All In The Family was aired. It aired from when I was 7 until I was 15, and I was most certainly able to see and identify misogyny at that age.

• Like 2

Folks, ignore my post. PM said it way better than I ever could and attempted too... :sigh: :notworthy:

It's okay, Narp, I understood what you meant. The point of my original post is that at the time the show aired, I didn't understand the satire of the show and the way the characters dealt with it. All I saw was what on the surface, so to speak, and that just didn't find it funny.

I think the reason I couldn't stomach it today is that I often find it hard to watch older tv shows because of the writing style, plots, and production values. I've become used to "modern" styles, and the older things are really designed for a different time. (I also have difficulty with old [pre 50s or so] movies and turn-of-the-century novels, for the same reason.)

It's okay, Narp, I understood what you meant. The point of my original post is that at the time the show aired, I didn't understand the satire of the show and the way the characters dealt with it. All I saw was what on the surface, so to speak, and that just didn't find it funny.

I think the reason I couldn't stomach it today is that I often find it hard to watch older tv shows because of the writing style, plots, and production values. I've become used to "modern" styles, and the older things are really designed for a different time. (I also have difficulty with old [pre 50s or so] movies and turn-of-the-century novels, for the same reason.)

I get it. I am old school when it comes to most everything. I would prefer to watch the original Star Trek for example rather than anything else since. Yes, the show looks cheesy now, but the story lines are compelling and still relevant today just as All In The Family is.... :D

I like the spinoff "Maude" with Bea Arthur. She was the polar opposite of Archie and she gave a mean mouthful on the AITF episode where her daughter Carol is getting married to a Jewish guy, but like Archie, her liberalism was a bit far fetched and she used reverse discrimination and stereotypes in many episodes. "jewish boys make the best husbands".

Her abortion episode was a MAJOR event on TV when it first aired.

• Like 2

I like the spinoff "Maude" with Bea Arthur. She was the polar opposite of Archie and she gave a mean mouthful on the AITF episode where her daughter Carol is getting married to a Jewish guy, but like Archie, her liberalism was a bit far fetched and she used reverse discrimination and stereotypes in many episodes. "jewish boys make the best husbands".

Her abortion episode was a MAJOR event on TV when it first aired.

True. Maude and Archie going at it in some ways was just as good if not better than Mike and Archie...