Can Clockwork Angels Be Topped?

upstateNYfan

Can CA be topped? In theory anything could be topped so. yes.

In practice? Yes. For starters, to much of a wall of sound. Give the songs up to (but not including) Halo Effect a little breathing room and they would be better. Toss in a few (only a few) keyboards as well and the songs would sound (to my ears) a bit better. Story does not thrill me either. The book certainly does not.

I have said elsewhere the album does not start well - to my ears. Only with Halo Effect does the album take off. But then it really takes off. From that song on its darn good.

Even so Rush has a lot of albums which top it. FBN and 2112 - HYF are all better. S & A is better. Presto and Counterparts? Hard to compare - let me think about that. I will reserve opinion on those match ups.

Don't take me as a CA hater - I am not that. Some parts I really don't like, some I love. Its just that Rush has done a lot of better work.

By the way - do I think they will even try to top it? A large part of me thinks that "Wish them Well" and "The Garden" were farewell songs. So I slightly lean in the direction of thinking that they may not.

so you're saying Caravan, Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist are weaker than Halo Effect. errrr no.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but only have the ability to post on TRF on weekends (can't use office computer - employer would go nuts if I did, and don't have internet at home, can only post when visiting parents on weekends) One of these days will get my own internet hooked up again.

Anyway, what I am saying is that I prefer Halo Effect to Caravan, Clockwork Angeles & The Anarchist. Prefer it to Carnies and BU2B as well. It is more enjoyable to my ears / taste. It speaks to me in a way those other songs do not. It does not have a dense smog of sound that walls in to much of those other songs (to my ears and taste). It has lyrics that I enjoy more and a sound that is more pleasing to my ears.

For that matter, I prefer 7 Cities Of Gold, Headlong Flight, The Wreckers, The Garden & Wish Them Well to CA, The Anarchist, Carnies, Caravan & Bu2B.

I am not saying that one group of songs is stronger or weaker than another. To me that implies an understanding of the structure of the songs (both lyrically and musically) and what is involved in writing and playing them. I don't have that understanding.

I am not a musician (you can guess what I am) and don't play any instruments so I am just not qualified to comment on the strength of the songs i.e. their creativity and difficulty to play.

For those who enjoy the songs I don't, I say good for you. No - great for you.

By the way, when I originally said Rush has done better work than CA I was should have said "better work - as far as my taste is concerned".

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding. Have a good one.

See, this is what's amazing about Rush. By in large, if you're of the younger generation, the newer albums are going to be your favorites (though you will still like all of them to some degree). If you are of the older generation, the older albums are going to be your favorites (though you will still like all of them to some degree). What other band does that? There is something "Rush" for all generations. I don't know any other band that bridges generation gaps like Rush does. And their concert attendance proves it. Just look at the wide age range of attendees. So to answer the question of the original poster, there is no answer. It's RUSH! Their next album (if they decide to make one) will appeal to ALL Rush fans (to some degree) and most likely hit the young generation with something relevant, while still giving the old generation something they can grab onto as well. That is just............what Rush does. Edited by forcetenrushtribute
  • Like 5

It's RUSH! Their next album (if they decide to make one) will appeal to ALL Rush fans (to some degree) and most likely hit the young generation with something relevant, while still giving the old generation something they can grab onto as well. That is just............what Rush does.

No.com

I have had the opportunity to listen to rushradio.org for the last couple days. I made a comment earlier regarding my dislike for CA.

Well that position has changed a bit.

I now like some songs quite well and it was refreshing to listen to something new.

Its still not on my favorite album list and its not one of Rush's best work, but I am starting to appreciate it more.

Anyone know whats going on with rush radio? A few weeks ago, I could not get www.rushradio.org to play. Then I found it on "Shoutcast" and it played just fine.

Now "Shoutcast" is not playing and ,org is. Whats up with this and which station do you guys listen to? I use an IPhone

Clockwork Angles will never top Hold Your Fire.

Shocked that has not set off a firestorm of comment!!

I was being polite :D

I met gangsterfurious in Salt Lake City for half a second and she didn't seem insane but looks can be deceiving I guess :P

I think Clockwork Angels is easily the best thing they've done since Power Windows and HYF is probably my least favorite Rush album. All IMO, to quote the lead singer of Napalm Death "If everyone had the same views, life would be boring."

Back to the topic, I don't think Rush will top CA but then I was surprised it was as good as it was so I would love to be wrong. If CA ends up being their last release, I think it is a great way to go out.

• Like 1

Can CA be topped? The answer is yes and here is how.

1. Add two clearly defined Epics to the album. One (9:00+ Minutes long)the other a (20:00+ minute suite)

2. the Mix of the album must be much cleaner and sharper

3. Add a couple of Instrumentals

4. Refrain from un-needed songs likes (BU2B2) if necessary!

5. Go full out Prog-Metal (Xanadu, Natural Science, Hemisphere) Etc.)

5. Keep all aggressiveness that CA brought back to the band.

There done!

• Like 5

1. Add two clearly defined Epics to the album. One (9:00+ Minutes long)the other a (20:00+ minute suite)

There done!

I'll take another BU2B2. I like it—ALOT.

otherwise spot on keyboard genie!

• Like 2

There done!

Best post in the thread!

Can I assume you like CA more than SnA? Let's hope the next album is a step in the same direction!

Oh and we have to excuse BU2B2 as it's only there for story-line purposes.. I don't think we were actually expected to listen to it lol

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

I think it can be topped if

No producers from the band Foo Fighters

Remind Alex that a guitar has six strings

No layered vocals

synthesizers ? maybe just a touch? One to two songs a cd.

c'mon Rush you can do it , You've outlasted Motley Crue time to shine !

THIS.

Clockwork Angles will never top Hold Your Fire.

Shocked that has not set off a firestorm of comment!! For the record, I agree. HYF is one of my favorite Rush albums with only one song I do not care for (High Water). Yes - I am one of those strange folks who actually likes Tai Shan.

Again - not a knock on CA. I give the guys a ton of credit for creating such an album at a relatively late point in their careers. Goes back to a point I made in a prior post about them being artists and artists have a certain creative fire that (hopefully) keeps burning for a long time. Just find HYF to be more pleasant to my ears.

For the record, I agree as well. I really like HYF as a whole. Far more satisfying than CA musically, lyrically and most of all production-wise, IMO. I like Tai Shan as well...

Edited by greg2112

As an album in entirety i wouldnt rate CA in the top dozen to be honest although id be blown away if they could top BU2B in particular, too good man.

Still, wouldnt put it past these guys.

Just hurry up and have a go all i say, i hate these 5 year waits for new stuff :(

Yes, they can do better songs than "The Anarchist", "Carnies" and "Wish them Well", "Seven Cities... etc.

those are 4 great songs to me

There done!

Best post in the thread!

Can I assume you like CA more than SnA? Let's hope the next album is a step in the same direction!

Oh and we have to excuse BU2B2 as it's only there for story-line purposes.. I don't think we were actually expected to listen to it lol

I love CA. IS there room for improvement...Absolutely! As for BU2B2..I like it as well, but it was the least popular track on CA.

I don't have any clue.

I listen to each Rush album and each one strikes different nerves, evokes different feelings and emotions, and each one has a different meaning for me.

No other band can do this for me quite like Rush has. I feel bad for anyone who has never been able to latch onto a band (any band) and have that kind of interpersonal relationship with their music. Having a musical relationship with a great band can do wonders for your mind, your soul and your heart.

Thank you Rush.

What else can be said anymore at this point?

All their albums have moments of sheer brilliance. Some more than others. But each one has it's own very unique story and soul. that is the true beauty and essence of Rush. And to me that is the bond they have with all of us. All their albums are great in their own unique ways and mean so many different things to different people.

No....they have no albums that suck......no f***ing way. Some songs....yeah they have written some clunkers...no question....I can count a few.....but no band I have ever listened to (and I have listended to all the greats of rock like most of you) has been as consistent and as daring (for a three piece) as Rush. They are certainly not the most talented "song" writers in a general sense. But they sure as hell have one of the most unique appraoches to rock music the world has ever heard. Lot's of awesome sauce.....lot's and lot's of awesome sauce.

Most in the public would disagree........and again another reason of what makes Rush so unique. It's our secret clubhouse.

Still...after all these years.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 4

After a lot of list listenings, for me Clockwork Angels is a classic Rush album. Given the last two albums have been 5 years apart and personally I enjoyed this latest one more than SnA, I Feel that CA may well be their last, if so it is a very high album to go out on, currently I rank it right up with my personal favourites... Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Power Windows and Vapor Trails. Also as a live band, this last tour, they looked fit, energised and really confident, they played really well.... Way above my expectations for guys that were just a year off 60...
  • Like 2

I don't have any clue.

I listen to each Rush album and each one strikes different nerves, evokes different feelings and emotions, and each one has a different meaning for me.

No other band can do this for me quite like Rush has. I feel bad for anyone who has never been able to latch onto a band (any band) and have that kind of interpersonal relationship with their music. Having a musical relationship with a great band can do wonders for your mind, your soul and your heart.

Thank you Rush.

What else can be said anymore at this point?

All their albums have moments of sheer brilliance. Some more than others. But each one has it's own very unique story and soul. that is the true beauty and essence of Rush. And to me that is the bond they have with all of us. All their albums are great in their own unique ways and mean so many different things to different people.

No....they have no albums that suck......no f***ing way. Some songs....yeah they have written some clunkers...no question....I can count a few.....but no band I have ever listened to (and I have listended to all the greats of rock like most of you) has been as consistent and as daring (for a three piece) as Rush. They are certainly not the most talented "song" writers in a general sense. But they sure as hell have one of the most unique appraoches to rock music the world has ever heard. Lot's of awesome sauce.....lot's and lot's of awesome sauce.

Most in the public would disagree........and again another reason of what makes Rush so unique. It's our secret clubhouse.

Still...after all these years.

Best Post here!

:goodone: :goodone: :goodone:

• Like 1

I love CA. IS there room for improvement...Absolutely! As for BU2B2..I like it as well, but it was the least popular track on CA.

I have no problem with BU2B2 either. It's fine for what it is. What it is not is a hit single; it's not a Spirit of Radio or Tom Sawyer, it's simply an interstitial to tie together two other songs. It shouldn't be the best or most popular song on the album because that's not why it was written.

• Like 2

I have no problem with BU2B2 either. It's fine for what it is. What it is not is a hit single; it's not a Spirit of Radio or Tom Sawyer, it's simply an interstitial to tie together two other songs. It shouldn't be the best or most popular song on the album because that's not why it was written.

To me BU2B2 is the one song in CA that truly captures the Concept Album feel of the whole piece. Every other song can basically stand alone like Geddy requested.

• Like 2