Can Clockwork Angels Be Topped?

upstateNYfan

Can CA be topped? In theory anything could be topped so. yes.

In practice? Yes. For starters, to much of a wall of sound. Give the songs up to (but not including) Halo Effect a little breathing room and they would be better. Toss in a few (only a few) keyboards as well and the songs would sound (to my ears) a bit better. Story does not thrill me either. The book certainly does not.

I have said elsewhere the album does not start well - to my ears. Only with Halo Effect does the album take off. But then it really takes off. From that song on its darn good.

Even so Rush has a lot of albums which top it. FBN and 2112 - HYF are all better. S & A is better. Presto and Counterparts? Hard to compare - let me think about that. I will reserve opinion on those match ups.

Don't take me as a CA hater - I am not that. Some parts I really don't like, some I love. Its just that Rush has done a lot of better work.

By the way - do I think they will even try to top it? A large part of me thinks that "Wish them Well" and "The Garden" were farewell songs. So I slightly lean in the direction of thinking that they may not.

You lost all credibility with that statement. SnA couldn't carry CA jock strap.

• Like 1

In practice? Yes. For starters, to much of a wall of sound. Give the songs up to (but not including) Halo Effect a little breathing room and they would be better. Toss in a few (only a few) keyboards as well and the songs would sound (to my ears) a bit better. Story does not thrill me either. The book certainly does not.

I have said elsewhere the album does not start well - to my ears. Only with Halo Effect does the album take off. But then it really takes off. From that song on its darn good.

Even so Rush has a lot of albums which top it. FBN and 2112 - HYF are all better. S & A is better. Presto and Counterparts? Hard to compare - let me think about that. I will reserve opinion on those match ups.

Don't take me as a CA hater - I am not that. Some parts I really don't like, some I love. Its just that Rush has done a lot of better work.

By the way - do I think they will even try to top it? A large part of me thinks that "Wish them Well" and "The Garden" were farewell songs. So I slightly lean in the direction of thinking that they may not.

Your opinion. Thats fine with me. To each there own. Just as mine is that S & A is better, more enjoyable to my ears / tastes. Perhaps I should have put it that way originally. From Halo Effect on CA is very good. Prior to that - thanks but no thanks. Does nothing for me. S & A is great (to my ears) from the start up through "The Way the Wind Blows". Well, "Spindthrift" is not anything to write home about. Even some of the songs after "The Way the Wind Blows" are enjoyable. Things like "We Hold On". If it was a relay race S & A would get out to a big lead and hold on for the win - to my ears. Just my taste. If you think other wise thats fine. Enjoy CA and I will enjoy parts of it but S & A more.

• Like 2

Does everyone think the band is capable of another original release?

Interesting question. They are artists and artists tend to have a certain creative fire that just keeps burning. My father is a woodworker and my mother a painter & weaver and they are still creating / building into their mid / late 80's. Something in them that would not be satisfied if not creating. Their are other bands / musicians older than Rush who are still creating out there.

My gut is that Neil could still write some more original lyrics and the guys could still put some more original music together. To me me the bigger question is would they want to invest the time in doing so. Neil has a new family and Geddy and Alex would like to be around their grandkids. An even bigger, question would be, would they then tour to follow it up (or do a farewell tour at all). I think I have heard Geddy has indicated that he had some gas left at the end of the tour (although his voice...) but that the others needed a break.

So I guess my answer is that yes - they may be capable of something. But to actually do it and a tour? Hmmm, just not certain. Lean to no but I think one, or the other, or both is not out of the question.

Frankly, if given a choice I would hope for more albums. Love them live and have seen the live 9 time. Great memories. But more music would, for me, be better than more live shows.

Your opinion. Thats fine with me. To each there own. Just as mine is that S & A is better, more enjoyable to my ears / tastes. Perhaps I should have put it that way originally. From Halo Effect on CA is very good. Prior to that - thanks but no thanks. Does nothing for me. S & A is great (to my ears) from the start up through "The Way the Wind Blows". Well, "Spindthrift" is not anything to write home about. Even some of the songs after "The Way the Wind Blows" are enjoyable. Things like "We Hold On". If it was a relay race S & A would get out to a big lead and hold on for the win - to my ears. Just my taste. If you think other wise thats fine. Enjoy CA and I will enjoy parts of it but S & A more.

I'm with you in that S&A strikes me as a more listenable collection of songs. Maybe because they are independent tracks, which makes it easier to skip the garbage. I respect the ambition of CA, but for me it just doesn't deliver on the whole.

From CA, I really dig BU2B, Clockwork Angels, and Carnies. The rest I can take or leave at any moment. The Garden is great as a live track.

From S&A, two the three instrumentals are great performances. TMMB has some of Alex's best work, especially in terms of tone and phrasing. Armor and Sword, Working Them Angels, The Way The Wing Blows are excellent. The duds are pretty skippable, but the format of the album allows for skipping without disruption. We Hold On is a strong closer, which would be better received if weren't for listener fatigue (It's at the end of an album that is four or five songs too long).

• Like 1

so you're saying Caravan, Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist are weaker than Halo Effect. errrr no.

• Like 2

It can and it does. I love Snakes and Arrows. CA....to me.....was a step down.

Mick

• Like 2

Why does everyone keep saying Geddy can't sing anymore? I just read through to page two of this thread and I have had enough! Sure, live his voice is not what it used to be, but on CA his voice sounded great! I love this album, not quite as much as I used to, but enough to keep it top ten!

I still think 2112 through to Power Windows is amazing. Love all those albums!

Ged CERTAINLY can sing. He just can't sing like he used too. Although, being frank, Extensive touring is not doing him any favors.

Mick

I agree. He certainly sounded better on the first leg of the Clockwork Angels tour than he did on the second. Hopefully with some time off and rest he will recoup a bit.

I am sure Rush can make more great albums, I think that Rush havent made any bad album at all, all are good in one way or another, so why cant they make another good album?

They did somethig stronger on Vapor trails

Vapor trails was an outstanding piece of art, emotion and energy, haven't heard Geddy sing like Earthshine again.

I still get the chiken skin

RushGoober gets the chicken skin too. Every time he listens to Vapor Trails.

• Like 2

Clockwork Angles will never top Hold Your Fire.

Vapor trails was an outstanding piece of art, emotion and energy, haven't heard Geddy sing like Earthshine again.

You're the best Lorraine...I'll bet you were an adorable child

• Like 1

She's adorbs now.

• Like 1

It can and it does. I love Snakes and Arrows. CA....to me.....was a step down.

Mick

Mick is on crack

TM

For some reason, this is making me cry.

Next, I'll be getting the chicken skin too.

• Like 1

For some reason, this is making me cry.

Next, I'll be getting the chicken skin too.

I'm crying tears of joy because other people call it "chicken skin". I've been calling it that for years and people just look at me like I'm nuts.

• Like 2

Clockwork Angles will never top Hold Your Fire.

Shocked that has not set off a firestorm of comment!! For the record, I agree. HYF is one of my favorite Rush albums with only one song I do not care for (High Water). Yes - I am one of those strange folks who actually likes Tai Shan.

Again - not a knock on CA. I give the guys a ton of credit for creating such an album at a relatively late point in their careers. Goes back to a point I made in a prior post about them being artists and artists have a certain creative fire that (hopefully) keeps burning for a long time. Just find HYF to be more pleasant to my ears.

TRY THIS:

I call it my "Marvel RUSH" play list, I always wanted to put together this songs to catch the 00´s Rush Sound:

Clockwork Angels

Peaceable kingdom

BU2B

Vapor Trail

The Wreckers

Ceiling Unlimited

Caravan

Earthshine

The Larger Bowl

The Anarchist

Nocturne

Headlong Flight

Secret Touch

Wish them Well

Faithless

Ghost Rider

I´ve been hooked on this for weeks, random play on the shower, on the car, my wife just don't understand.